The Ice Cream Shop That Isn’t

by tessa8m on July 19, 2011

in Uncategorized

Yay for sounding like a broken record (again) but is it alright to say yet again how much I appreciate your support? I read so many wonderful comments yesterday that helped me see this weekend differently, and that I am not the head case I believe I am. It is truly delightful to know that I am certainly not the only one that struggles with these disordered, consuming, irrational thoughts. Having this knowledge enables this difficult journey to be just a bit easier, and the struggles don’t seem quite as bad. So thank you my dear friends :)

I have recently received a few questions about the internship I am working at this summer and how it is going. And of course I would love to update you! For the three months I have off from school, I am helping out at a fitness facility where a whole bunch of programs and classes are offered. Boot camps, triathlon/half-marathon/marathon training programs, power lifting classes, CrossFit style workouts, and so much more. I have been working out with B and S Fitness for years now, and have learned so much more about the countless variations and ways you can work your body. I honestly didn’t understand the utter importance of weight lifting prior to joining this program and that body weight exercises even existed. So much of my fitness knowledge has come from my experience at B and S so I was more than thrilled to be working with them this summer :D

Originally I was attending the early morning boot camps at 6am Monday-Thursday, as a way to learn their methods of teaching and how they conduct the routine of a class. Monday and Wednesdays focus on strength training and Tuesdays and Thursdays are running workouts.

Here is an example of a typical strength workout:

Dynamic Warm-up: full w/inchworm and pushups

Pushups 40 sec

Partner sit-ups 40 sec

Metabolic: 2x

15 sec pushups > pop-up & accelerate to tree #2 > easy jog back

20 sec squat thrusts > accelerate to tree #3 > easy jog back

25 sec mt climbers > accelerate to tree # 4 > easy jog back

30 sec squat pulses > accelerate to tree 4 > jog back to tree 2 & walk back to sidewalk

(Repeat)

Strength Session 1: Playground w/ leg bands 3x

Elbow plank step-ups w/ Plank jack w/close grip pushup 30 sec

Tubing shoulder press 30 sec

Leg band (around wrists) side plank 2 step crawl 30 sec

Tubing Single arm plank back rows 20 sec/side

Supine single leg knee leg band draw-ups 20 sec/leg

Session 2: 3x

Tubing split squat 20 sec/leg

SL hamstring hip-ups 20 sec/leg

Torso twists 30 sec

Superman trilogy 15/15/15 sec

Session 3: Finale 1x

Forward lunge walk across court > jog back

Forward crab walk across court > jog back

Reverse lunge walk across court > jog back

Reverse bear crawl across > jog back

Bound or low barn door across > reverse bear crawl back

Jog a lap around the court

Stretch

A running workout might be something like running 3-4 miles and stopping after each mile to complete a series of plyometric moves- jump squats, jump lunges, plyo pushups, lateral jumps and so on. Another type of running workout could be splitting the group of participants in half and having one leader lead each of the groups for Indian Sprints. If you are not familiar of what those are, basically people line up, one behind the other, and start to jog. The person in the back sprints forward, passing the line as they go, to the front of the group and then start jogging. This is a great (and exhausting!) way to mix up your routine with jogging and sprints.

For the first month, I attended the Boot Camp 4 times per week as a participant. Recently I have only been going to the Tuesday and Thursday running workouts as this is much more my “specialty.” Now that I have been working with B and S for some time now, I have been leading more classes and groups all by myself! It was rather terrifying at first, having to lead a group of adults and make sure they get an efficient workout and don’t make a fool of myself while doing it! But I have become more comfortable and really enjoy leading and encouraging the people that are waking up quite early to try and improve their well-being through fitness. Last week I lead a group of runners on a 4 mile run where we did the plyometric style moves at each one mile stop, as I was referring to earlier.

We also have done workouts such as 6x400s or 4x800s, 10x200s on a track, and after each one we do crunches, situps, pushups, supermans and other exercises to also fit in strength. I am physically benefiting from this type of fitness as it is certainly improving my running speed. If you want to get faster, you have to incorporate strength and faster intervals into your return, and this boot camp has been a rather efficient way for me to do this. If you would like more information on this, check out my guest post on Jenny’s blog from a few weeks ago :)

This was another recent workout I taught:

Warm up – FULL
2x jog down and back
Knee grabs > jog back
quad stretch > jog back
soldier kick > jog back
chicken stretch > jog back
High knees down and back
butt kick down and back
spiderman down > 5 inchworms back w/push up finish with jog (after the 5 inchworms)
side shuffle down and back
kareoke down and back
sumo squat – 5 left > 5 right
ez skip out > skip for height back
ez skip out > skip for distance back
jog > back pedal > sprint > walk back
Push ups (45 sec)
Partner Sit ups (60 sec)
DRINK
Main set:
(Use basketball court)
Lower body & Upper body suicide’s:
1) lunge walk out, sprint back. (fwd lunge the entire time for the 1st suicide)
2) bear crawl out, skip back
3) backward lunge walk out, jog back
4) crab walk (if someone can’t do crab walk have them do 25-30 bench dips then a full running suicide), sprint back
DRINK
Recovery lap around common stop at any 6 benches and do anyone of the following for 15-25 reps: (this means they do 2 sets of each exercise below – ie; bench 1 = dips, bench 2 = pitch squats bench 3 = push ups, bench 4 = dips, etc..)
1) dips
2) pitcher squats (15/leg)
3) push ups
DRINK
10, 9, 8 = burpee, rotational push-ups (9 per side, etc..), v-ups – get into box sprints as people finish up – make sure the slowest person does at least 5 box sprints (use court – sprint end line, jog side line – feel free to switch it up on them or add in skipping, etc..)
Box sprints until everyone is together and continue so the last person does at least 5 of them – this means the faster people may do 10+ which is OK!
DRINK
Finish with ab circuit if time permits – if you have 6 minutes left have them do a fast lap around the common then come in for abs and stretch.

I was personally tired at the end of this, along with the lovely people who made it through too :)

One of the aspects I am enjoying most about this internship, is seeing how much people improve over the 6 week period that each boot camp session lasts for. You have the option to attend just 2 days per week, but most people make the effort to go those 4 early mornings Monday through Thursday. In the beginning of the session, you are given a fitness test involving 1 minute of pushups and situps, followed by a half-mile run as fast as you can go. These results are recorded, and then everyone is retested at the end of the session. If they have been committed and have worked hard and not cheated during the boot camp, there is a 100% improvement. They have clear evidence that they are in better shape as they bust out 15 more pushups, 20 more situps, and several seconds faster on the run.

I am also a regular participant at a class called Extreme Fit on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at 9, where we do tons of different and varying exercises. I am guaranteed sore after one of these classes, so I am pretty much sore 100% of the time haha. This is one of the reasons I am realizing how important rest days are. If I continue working out like this, and having muscles that are weak and breaking down all of the time, well of course they will never repair and no muscle will be built. I must remind myself of vital bits of information like this when I am tempted to ignore my rest day and workout anyway. This entire program is showing and teaching me so many new and challenging ways to exercise and get fit, and I am so thankful to be part of this internship :)

Now, this internship is unpaid, but I do get to workout for free, so that is quite nice! However, I must get paid somehow, so I also had a job at a local ice cream shop… a rather hot and popoular spot in my tiny town. Now, notice how I use the word had… and no I did not get fired!

This is what I was doing yesterday at work, aka a rather delightful day :) I should note here, that I absolutely loved this job, I mean how can you not be happy while working around ice cream all day and serving people this truly tasty dessert!?

These bad boys went from this-

To this!

And how about these too?

That last one there is covered in Heath Bar and Butterfinger… oh yes.

Decorating the waffles bowls was so much fun yesterday, and this simple job makes me smile each time I am working. But then this happened:

Can you guess what happened yet?

Alas, a fire occurred :( The exact cause is still uncertain but the the ice cream shop is attached to a restaurant and it may have started there. Or possibly there was an electric fire in the ceiling or something? Well whatever the cause is the result is the same, the shop is ruined. Everything was either burned or damaged by smoke, so the only goal now is to rebuild. Although they can rebuild, the situation is just so sad (of course!) This happened right in the middle of summer, the busiest time of the season, and everything is lost… all that ice cream… melted fo sho :( Plus, me and several other ladies, no longer have a paid job! That’s kind of a bummer too, as I am quite lacking in the money department.

I feel so terrible for the owner and his wife who are such wonderful people, but they are staying optimistic and I shall too! And when it is rebuilt, the shop is going to be even better :) Also, now that I don’t have a paid job, I am going to take the reins in planning a yard sale my mom and I have debated setting up for a while now. So after hearing the news, I spent the day cleaning out our rather gross and cluttered attic… most of the time I was like this.

Oh baby it was hot up there, but still, it gives me something to do so no more complaints from me!

I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday! It’s going to be a scorcher here… yeeshe!

1 Alexandra July 19, 2011 at 8:48 am

Dang those workouts are intense! What a cool internship. I’d be like you though, I would love seeing people’s transformations over six weeks, how inspirational :)
Oh my word, I’m so sorry to hear about the fire!! My family experienced a house fire in 2005, but in the end it was kind of a good thing– my house is over 100 years old and pre-fire it was in dire need of remodeling– we got new insulation, closets, windows and more. Hopefully the ice cream shop will be similar and turn out better than ever! :) Then you guys can give the hunky firemen some of your amazing looking treats heehee! :D

2 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’m sorry to hear that you had a fire, but glad it turned out great! I am hoping the shop will be like this too, newer and better :) Heheee and your idea= a good one, hunky firemen here I come ;-)

3 Haley Q July 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

Your internship sounds SO AWESOME…that’s like my dream college job, and those workouts do not look easy!
I’m so sorry about your job! Hopefully the owners can pick it back up quickly and business can go back to normal, it breaks my heart when little local places have to shut down for whatever reason. Atleast you only have another month or so of summer so you’re not missing out on toooooo much money!

4 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 11:56 am

Quite true about the money situation..phew for that at least! I know it is so sad, but I know the rebuilt shop is going to be even better!

5 Amanda @ . running with spoons . July 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

Yowza… those workouts look intense. I’d probably be dying be the end of them, but it sounds like such a cool job. And I can imagine that seeing the transformations in people is so rewarding and motivating. Feeling myself get stronger and being able to do things I wasn’t able to do a few weeks or a month back is what keeps me going at it :D

And I’m so sorry to hear about the fire :( That’s really horrible, but it’s good that the owners are staying optimistic, and I’m sure that the place will come back bigger and better than before :)

6 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 11:57 am

Don’t worry Amanda I am always dying at the end of them, in a good way of course :) And yes, the results people see are what brings them back! Such a wonderful reward

7 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

Wow those workouts sound intense and awesome! I bet that watching people change is so cool…I would love that! Also…that’s too bad about the fire!

8 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm

It really is such a rewarding experience :D

9 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl July 19, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear about the fire. It always makes me sad for the people that own shops like that. Like you said, it’s summertime, so certainly not ideal. I really hope that they can rebuild quickly.

And what a cool internship. Sounds like a dream come true :-)

10 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I think they will be able to rebuild quite quickly…which is a relief of course. It’s such an important part of town that I don’t think it would be delayed in construction at all

11 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 19, 2011 at 11:47 am

oh no! I am so sorry to hear that the ice cream shop burned. That is terrible! I feel so badly for the owners :( :( :(

on a brighter note that is an awesome workout and I think you are getting great work experience :)

12 lindsay July 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm

oh ym gosh, how sad! Hopefull they can restore it soon. Summer and ice cream are money makers for them I am sure.

13 Tara July 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I think I would love both of those jobs! Those workouts sound pretty darn intense, and definitely not boring like some of the old cardio machines. I want you to lead me in a class and totally kick my ass! I feel terrible for the owners of the ice cream shop. It must be devastating to be working away one day, and then next day it’s all gone. Hopefully they will be able to rebuild quick and be back in business asap!

14 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Tara, I’m sure one of your workouts would whoop my butt too haha! I really cannot tolerate cardio machines anymore, like you said, they are just too darn boring!

15 Er July 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

This post is depressing…so sad to hear when a business suffers from something like a fire. Especially an ice cream shop! Hopefully everything moves fast with the rebuild, but I know it will be a struggle for the owners as they make their money in the peak of summer : (

P.S. I worked at an ice cream shop for two summers!

16 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’m pretty sure everything will be rebuilt quite quickly…it’s such a popular place and the town definitely supports it!

17 Stephanie July 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

OMG oh no this is awful. Sooo sorry for all involved and this looked sooo yummy of a place! I wil keep my ear to the ground for jobs.

18 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thanks Steph!

19 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Those workouts are intense! I am totally going to try it ;)

20 Julia July 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Whoahh those workouts sound hard! I have an unpaid internship this summer too…not the ideal situation, but it keeps me semi-busy.
So sad about the ice cream shop =( But I bet it will be better than ever when it’s built again!

21 Allie July 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Oh my! I am soo sorry about the ice cream shop!

22 Emily@RunningPerspective July 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

INSANE WORKOUTS i want your internship now!
that is so so sad about the icecream shop! that breaks my heart!

23 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm

It really is :( but I know it’s going to get better for them as soon as the mess is out of the way!

24 Sonia (the Mexigarian) July 19, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Totally sucks about the fire. I really do hope they do get back on their feet quick and can reopen soon.

As for the workout . . . I think I would have passed out halfway through. Lol. Sounds intense :)

25 Ellie@fitforthesoul July 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Oh mannn~That’s so terrible for the owners and the employees~I hope all works out well for you in that regard. And I also pray that the owners will remain strong! God bless them.

And those are all seriously greeeattttt workouts~I’m pumped now :D Have a beautiful day!

26 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm

If you ever try one of the workouts, let me know! It would be great to hear what you think

27 Mac July 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Sounds like you and I are in the exact same boat! Interning without pay and looking for some way to make money! I think I may have found my way though, fingers crossed that things go well tomorrow :)

28 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Ahh good luck, I hope you get whatever the job is! Money is rather important and essential it seems ;-)

29 Ragnhild July 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Oh my gosh, I cant believe there was a fire at your ice cream shop :o
I think it is so cool that you lead those fitness classes! And they sound so so hard!! I actually used to be an instructor at my old gym, maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It was so good for my self-confidence. Standing in front of all those people really gave me a boost! But after a year or so, I fell more in love with running, and stoped leading classes!
Good luck with the yard sale :)

30 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I didn’t know you did that! how cool :) What kind of classes did you used to teach?

31 Ragnhild July 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm

:D
I used to teach HighPulse, Pilates, and this class calle MRL (kind of a shape up class with light weights and easy cardio)!

32 Christy July 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I honestly would love to do those workouts. I like them tough. (:

33 Kristy July 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I’m so sorry this happened to you. I would hate to see the place I work burn or suffer any loss. At least you’ll have the rest of the summer to relax if nothing else. If it makes you feel any better, a lot of my friends are out of work this summer because the lake was literally closed for half of the summer due to flooding of all the beaches (they all lifeguard). Hopefully, the place will get on it’s feet again. It’s good that no one was hurt!

All those ice cream cone creations looked delicious. I don’t know if I could work at a place like that with out eating ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Good luck!

34 Sarah - Feeeding Brain and Body July 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Oh no that’s so insane that their was a fire at the icecream shop! Good luck with your yardsale! My neighbourhood is so bad with yard sales, my sister organized one in the spring and made of $30! I’m sure yours will go better though!

35 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Ahh only 30 bucks?! I hope ours does go a bit better haha. I am counting on earning enough to save some of the money!

36 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 19, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Those workouts sound KILLER! And pretty awesome:)

37 Errign July 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Your internship sounds awesome, but I’m so sorry to hear about the fire at your paying job. That’s so sad, but I guess it’s good no one was hurt!

38 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit July 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Umm… come train me, please!?!? Those work-outs are insane.
And I’m so sorry to hear about the fire. I hope everything ends up working out for the owners (and for you finding another paying job!)

39 Julia July 20, 2011 at 1:01 am

Those workouts are super hardcore. You are intense, girly! And that’s such a bummer about the ice cream shop. Finding a job is so frustrating on its own, and having an fun go down in flames (literally) is no bueno.
Good luck on your yard sale! My grandma’s trick is to price things at about $5 so that even if you just sell 10 things you already have $50. She loves her garage sales haha.

40 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 21, 2011 at 12:02 am

Oh no! I’m sorry about the fire! How awful!

41 Alaina July 21, 2011 at 7:18 am

Sounds like a great internship! I know I would be exhausted doing those workouts. Heck, I was exhausted just reading them. :-)

That stinks about the ice cream shop! There was a restaurant/ice cream shop in my town that burnt down in 2004. It was such a staple for ice cream and breakfast after church. Definitely a devastation for the whole town. Thankfully the restaurant relocated and we can get Lowell’s ice cream once again. :-)

42 tessa8m July 19, 2011 at 8:58 pm

That’s awesome! I would have loved to take a class of yours back then :D