“The New Rules…” Reality Check

by tessa8m on September 12, 2011

in Product Review,Uncategorized

Good Morning and welcome to another week!

I had a very happy weekend, for lack of a better term. The weather was gorgeous, I spent most of my time with my amazing new co RAs, I continued reading Pillars of the Earth (oh my…good stuff), completed homework, cleaned, did laundry… just a fulfilling weekend overall. I actually had no epiphanies with food for once, meaning there were no particular incidence where I realized my disordered eating was making a decision rather than my true self. I do want to clarify that eating, my body, weight, exercising were (and are) constantly on my mind…. but for some reason it was a bit easier to deal with this weekend. Well I am certainly not complaining about that! :)

I do want to get right into the topic of today’s post, so let’s get going!

As I am sure most of you have read or at least heard of, The New Rules of Lifting has been all the rage around the blog world these last few months.

When I first read a review on someone’s site, I just assumed it was yet another book spitting out redundant information on how to eat right while working out, tips to lose weight, exercise tricks, etc. I am not bashing books like that, but there are just so many versions out there, and I have found some of them to be a bit well… triggering for me. So I have stayed away.

However, as New Rules grew in popularity and more and more reviews could be found across the healthy-living community, I noticed that people overall provided copious amounts of positive feedback. I was intrigued after seeing yet another fantastic review and decided to pick up my own copy and see for myself what this book was all about.

I am not going to write out a full analysis of the information in this guide because well… you can find it on so many other sites! I will say though that although I was not too keen on the actual workouts that are provided in New Rules (for now anyway), it is the information about calories, food consumption, weight, lifting, metabolism, meals and fitness, that intrigued me the most. What I want to focus on from this book is a particular section that really stood out… provided me with a hefty (and needed) dose of reality and the damage I have done to myself.

Chapter 4 titled, “The War Against Food” has been bookmarked and it’s information I plan on returning to when I need to be reminded of my once-poor life decisions.

When I first began to take losing weight seriously by joining Weight Watchers in spring of 2008, all I wanted was to get rid of some extra fat that had been bothering me. It was never my intention (or anyone elses’ I am sure) to lose muscle… but that is exactly what I have done to myself for the past 3 years. I have been wasting my body away in more ways than one, by attempting to lose just that extra bit of fat, the thought process that has marked the beginning of the end for my disordered eating.

Weight Watchers opened up my eyes to how many calories I was eating by comparing the number of daily points I was currently eating, verses how many I “should” be to lose weight. Essentially Weight Watchers is a program that enables you to cut calories and lose weight in a sane way… meaning it has plenty of room for treats and indulgences. You can spread out your points with food the way you want to, although you obviously feel better by consuming nutritionally dense foods.

The recommended amount of weight to lose per week is 1-2 pounds, numbers we have all heard countless times. If you start to lose fat too quickly and it’s beyond fluid and water retention, then muscle begins to waste away… the problem I hurdled myself into for so many years.

From the book, “in the traditional approach to losing weight, the one that advocates cutting calories, you are making two sacrifices for the goal of a smaller and leaner body: you’re going to lose muscle mass and you’re going to slow down your metabolism. Sounds a bit counterproductive to me if I consider myself and athlete who is willing to waste her muscles away for the sake of a smaller body… These past three years I have been trying to lose weight… and succeeding. However, little did I know that while I was losing weight as I saw the number on the scale going more and more to the left, a portion of that number was my “working parts,” fluid, matter and tissue around my organs, and of course muscle.

**One important aspect of all of this I would like to mention is that even if I had know about my muscle loss during the worst times of my disordered eating, I probably still would not have cared. Either I would have convinced myself that I was different than everyone else and was just losing fat, not muscle, or I would throw my hands up all together and not give a crap, as long as I saw that number on the scale go lower. Who cares if it’s fat, muscle, fluid, tissue, bones (not really), it’s EXTRA WEIGHT that needs to go! It’s your decision remember?

We have all heard the key to losing weight is to “eat less and exercise more.” This essentially translates to, slow down your metabolism while speeding it up. Umm does that make sense to anyone? Some of the examples the author used are,

• Would you say to your employees that you want them all to start working longer hours and as a reward you’re going to pay the less? If this announcement was made on Friday, would anyone show up for work on Monday?
  • I voted for it before I voted against it.

It comes down to that the less you eat (and the more you restrict), the more your metabolism slows down. And here is the kicker , you have to eat even less as you lose weight in order to keep this routine going. I was in this very trap, especially last summer. It started with Weight Watchers but truly spiraled out of control 2 years after I quit the program.

A bit more than a year ago, I managed to get myself underweight by about 15-17 pounds, by continuously exercising more and eating less. I felt so elated and sickly proud of myself, because my efforts were paying off.  I was seeing that number on the scale go drop every single week and I felt great. I was getting so thin, everything I owned was suddenly so roomy, I was seeing bones protrude out of places I had never seen before… so what if my hair was falling out, or I had lost my period (update coming soon I promise) at least I was getting smaller!

It’s so (again for a lack of a better term) weird what my thoughts were last summer. Basically I never had the intention to lose any more weight than I had since quitting WW, but the fact that I did and was able to control this…that is what lit the fire to keep this dangerous process going. I loved seeing that number drop but was strangely surprised each time it happened. I am a very competitive person my nature and the ugly side of this trait came out as I fought to see how much weight I had the ability to lose.

Both my eating and exercise habits changed drastically for the worst last summer. I did exactly what the book tells us not to do… I was exercising a heck ton more and eating less. I was never consuming any amount below around 1,500 calories, but I was burning an incredible amount more than that. While training for my upcoming cross country season, I was walking everywhere, squeezing in extra cardio at the gym and also adding lifting to my routine.

Since I do know at least a bit about nutrition and how to recovery from workouts and such, I figured I really was building muscle with what I was eating and how I was now lifting. What my disordered brain did not allow me to understand at the time, was that you sure as hell cannot grow muscle by “refueling” with about a pound of fruit. That is what my “recovery meals” would consist of… fruit, some more fruit, oh and how about another bowl of fruit. It kept me full (hello food baby after every single meal) so my illogical, sick thinking assumed those calories were going to my muscles, because I was still losing weight and I thought I looked more “built.” (ha.)

I truly believed I had the perfect formula going… that I had found the routine that allows me to lose fat and build muscle. In fact, I was eating just enough to keep my weight at a semi-sustainable level, but I was slowly but surely becoming a shriveled bean pole, wasting away precious muscle, rather than allowing myself to have the body of an athlete. I had the disordered image of myself that I looked fantastic- a lean, mean fighting machine. When I see pictures of myself now, I see a border-line skeletal person that had no body fat, dark circles under her eyes, thinning hair, concave cheeks, a dull complexion and just a whole lot of bones…. yep attractive and healthy stuff right there.

When I read this particular part of the book a few weeks ago, it was just like WOW, that is freakin-exactly what I used to do! Although I was weight-restored at that point earlier this summer, and was eating correctly, reading this particular bit of information solidified the need to nourish and refuel my body properly. It’s scary and uncomfortable, but here it is, legitimate scientific evidence of yet another way disordered eating nearly destroyed me. Athletic women are beautiful, and that is what I am striving to be… and I am sure as hell never going to get to that point if I plan on ever eating the way I used to again.

At this point in my recovery and my life, I am lifting at least three times per week, and listen to this… I am building muscle, like a lot! And you know why it’s happening now? That fearful substance called FOOD… I am eating a whole lot of that “stuff” now. No longer are my recovery meals consisting of an entire watermelon or cantaloupe. No. Now I have Greek yogurt, egg whites, protein powder involved into some kind of delicious breakfast (I workout in the mornings).

I have put on a lot of weight since last summer, and whether my disordered brain will believe it or not, some of it is muscle and not the dreaded FAT. For example, most pants I try on these days are not fitting the knee region as well as it used to… why don’t they make pants for athletically built women?! (That is for another post though, oh yes it is). I am finally doing what I need to for myself, for my personal ideal look of an athletic body… no more scrawny, shriveled, bony look for me anymore. I mean, these ladies right here looks damn good!

No matter how loud my illogical mind screams at me to keep working out and eating less, I have reached a point that I cannot justify such actions, even in the slightest. I am causing serious damage to my body, oh and I am upset, depressed, moody and pretty much hate life while in that disordered state. Not planning on going back, thank you very much.

I would love to hear your thoughts…

Have you read The New Rules? If so, was there any part or bit of information that really hit home for you?

Are you currently incorporatin strength training into your workout routine? I am (duh) and it’s pretty cool to see my muscles growing :)

On a more unrelated note… how was your weekend!? Fulfilling like mine I hope!

I look forward to catching up with everyone, have a wonderful day :D

1 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 12, 2011 at 6:37 am

That’s awesome that you’re getting into strength training! I love being able to see progress in my muscles and feeling like I’m getting stronger.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..9/11/11

2 Alexandra September 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

Holla for strength training!! Girl you know how I love my weights!! :D Weight training kickstarted my recovery, so it had a special place in my heart. You just feel so powerful to be able to lift heavy…and muscle is waayyy hawter than bones ;)
I’m so proud of your recovery, you never fail to inspire me gorgeous gal. Good luck today with classes and homework!
Alexandra recently posted..WWE Y’all

3 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Heck yes I know you love Strength Training! The ideas of ST are really starting to play a positive role in my life as well… it’s rather thrilling :)

4 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

I have read throught the new strength training, but I like my own little strength training workout I devised for myself better. I did like the book though :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Madness Monday….and Salmon Rubs

5 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 12, 2011 at 7:19 am

I agree–they have a curvy line of jeans, why not an athletic line? Seriously–girls with athletic shapes–small waists and muscular thighs need pants, too!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Minnesota Has 4 Seasons (Random Photo Dump)

6 lindsay September 12, 2011 at 7:25 am

that book is awesome! and you really said it well. I think it should be a mandatory read for school athletes. Women need to understand how their body works and peforms! So glad you mentioned it.
lindsay recently posted..Reality Slaps, Reality Rocks.

7 Sarah - Feeeding Brain and Body September 12, 2011 at 7:52 am

I have read The new Rulees! It really inspired me to make sure I was getting enough energy to not deplete my body, but instead build it up and make it stronger! I only did the workouts for 1-2 months, but I feel like I learned a lot from this book and it really motivated me for the better! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book :)
Sarah – Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..Chias in My Soup!

8 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 12, 2011 at 7:54 am

I’m so happy to hear that you loved the book! I worked through the whole program and had fantastic results, both in the way I looked and the way I felt. I’m currently working through the original NROL. The food chapters really had an impact on me, too. When people ask about my lifting routine and I recommend this book, I always tell them that even if they don’t follow through with the workouts to read the text because it’s rally helpful and insightful.

I’m so glad you are working on building your muscle back up, getting healthy, and getting strong!
Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles recently posted..Kombucha: The SCOBY

9 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm

How does the original NROL compare?

10 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm

As far as workouts go they’re structured differently but are about equal as far as difficulty goes. The text I barely read; I started to and didn’t find it nearly as helpful as NROLFW!
Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles recently posted..Kombucha: The SCOBY

11 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com September 12, 2011 at 8:38 am

Hey girl, once again you wrote a post that I feel like I could have written myself. I never consumed less than 1500 so I didnt think I had a problem! Unfortunately when you are burning way more than you consume it is still considered restricting and TERRIBLE for your body! I like you, felt that i was looking better and better, more muscular and strong, when really my body was deteriorating right before everyone else’s eyes!!
I am so glad you changed your rules! I am working towards that as well!!!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..Final Results

12 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Yay for changing the rules CJ! That is the only way to battle through this :)

13 Meredith @ Food, Shoes, and Booze September 12, 2011 at 8:49 am

I haven’t read the book but it sounds really interesting! I actually prefer weight lifting over cardio… I get less bored :)
Meredith @ Food, Shoes, and Booze recently posted..Chocolate and Bacon

14 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Me too! And I never thought I would think such a thought

15 Errign September 12, 2011 at 9:16 am

I try pretty hard to get strength into my routine, but it’s my biggest slacking area!
Errign recently posted..My Running Journey.

16 Haley Q September 12, 2011 at 9:18 am

That part of the book really stuck out to me too and whenever I’m tempted to go back to old ways and not eat or eat ALOT less, I think about the metabolism part.
I’m glad you had a great weekend, I think the more we focus on other people around us, the less we focus on ourselves and thus we won’t be focusing on our bodies so much!
Haley Q recently posted..Cookie dough for breakfast <3

17 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Yeah the metabolism part really scared the heck out of me… but in a good way! Clearly I needed to hear that information and now I reference back there too

18 Kat September 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love love love that book. It truly opened my eyes and made me realize that its OK to work for my muscles!! I always heard the whole thing that girls should try to lift heavier, but the way the guy wrote the book and explained it really made it all hit home for me. I was like heck yes I can have muscles and STILL be considered beautiful!! Loved that book and totally recommend it to all cardio bunnies :)
Kat recently posted..Should Obese Children Be Taken Away From Their Parents?

19 Christie September 12, 2011 at 9:29 am

Girl, you keep my head on track. I love reading your posts and I really thank you for sharing every day! Strength training rocks my world. No matter how much I run I always try to get in at least 2-3 days of some weights! Makes me feel strong and powerful :) hehe
Christie recently posted..20LR, New Addition, and Team R.P.

20 Amanda @ . running with spoons . September 12, 2011 at 9:46 am

I loved NROLFW for pretty much that exact reason… all of the information about nutrition and metabolism, and how the author didn’t support using a low-calorie diet to get results… I was actually pretty impressed that he stressed the importance of eating more, not only to get results, but to prevent harming your metabolism and body. Plus the way he writes is just a pleasure to read… no BS :D It’s actually what made me fall in love with strength training more, which I do on a regular basis now :D
Amanda @ . running with spoons . recently posted... the great meat debate .

21 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 12, 2011 at 10:02 am

I haven’t read that book, but I’ve been wanting to since like you said- it’s all over the blog world! I definitely lift weights- and I love it :). I feel so much more toned now that I do! My weekend was good, just relaxing and hanging out with friends! Hope you have a great Monday!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Is It Real Hunger?

22 Allie September 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

I really enjoyed NROLFW and I always recommend it to anyone! I love this post.. thanks for sharing :)
Allie recently posted..Foodie pictures and a run

23 Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

I used to do nothing but cardio at the gym! I just wanted to lose weight and I never thought about building muscle! Now I’ve gotten into a weight lifting routine, and not only am I stronger ,I’m also not bored out of my mind at the gym anymore!!!

I definitely want to check out that book! I’m glad you had a great weekend :)
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Pissed Off Oatmeal Cookies

24 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm

You should, the book has helped me out a whole lot! Let me know if you pick it up :)

25 Ragnhild September 12, 2011 at 10:26 am

Great post Tessa! I can really ” hear” that you are in a much healther place now, and it makes me so happy!
Yes, the disoreded thoughts are still in your head, but you are in control!! So inspirational to read!
Im so happy that you are trying to give your body what it needs after working out! You surely will feel so much better from it!

I havent read the book! I always have a hard time getting strenght training into my routine- its just not something I love! I love yoga however, and my core and back feels so much stronger from it! I know its not “real” strenght training, but I like it for what it is ;)
Wish you the best week<3
Ragnhild recently posted..11.09: Fo0o0d

26 Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin September 12, 2011 at 11:28 am

I hadn’t heard of the New Rules before this post. I will definitely look into this more this afternoon.

I love strength training and usually have 3 strength training days per week. I always feel better after I work my muscles hard and I know that I will be more capable in daily tasks because of it. Plus I love seeing my muscles grow too ;)
Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin recently posted..Decorations Please

27 Colleen September 12, 2011 at 11:52 am

Once again I’m inspired!! I, too, haven’t paid attention to the book due to the mentality of it being yet another “workout, eat, repeat” book. The section you mentioned does peek my interest. I am in the dark, miserable stage of life right now. I’m a freaking human anatomy and nutrition teacher!!! I KNOW the harm I (may–yeh I’m invincible, right?) be doing to my body. What did I eat fir dinner last night after a 3-hour workout? Veggies and egg whites. How was my 2 hour workout this am? Pathetic. Yes, I know why it was terrible and I know my “dinner” was stupid. Yet, I’m not stopping the behavior and I’m convinced my body is diff from everyone else’s body. Ughh.
Thanks for the great post—again.

28 Kiah September 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Somehow I’d never heard of this book before, but I’m definitely going to check it out. It seems relevant to me as an active person, but also I bet the head of my grad. dept. would love to be “in the know.” Where did you get your copy (i.e. the cheapest version :-))
Kiah recently posted..the spark of genius

29 sarah@spinach and spice September 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I’m glad you had such a good weekend :D
This is such a well written post! And very very informative. I really wanna go get the book now! And guarantee I’ll have it within the next week or so :D As always, thank you for this post. It’s so nice to know that I’m not the only one going through this constant struggle, and according to the comments… it’s more common than we’re aware of!
Love love love always,
Sarah
sarah@spinach and spice recently posted..Spanish Cuisine, Southern Comfort

30 Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense September 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm

That looks like a great read… first time I’ve heard of it! I can’t stand when people say “eat less, exercise more.” Most food rules irritate me … like “don’t eat past 6…!”
Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense recently posted..Get Your Protein On With Peanut Flour & Krispy Treats

31 Christina @ The Athletarian September 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Tessa, this post really hit home with me!! I have been trying to be ok with putting on muscle weight too. I have been having trouble fitting into last year’s jeans because my thighs have gotten more muscular. I first started having anxiety thinking I had gotten FAT but I realize that I work out and eat as much as I should these days and my legs are the result of a healthy lifestyle! You should invent jeans for us!
Christina @ The Athletarian recently posted..Marry me, Mr. G.

32 thehealthyapron September 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I have not read this book but I was in much the same situation as you not that long ago! I was losing precious muscle! Since I’ve ditched scale and am only focusing on how I FEEL, it’s much easier for me to eat the healthy way I NEED to to fuel my body. I’ve noticed much more improvement in mysefl physically…as well as mentally!
thehealthyapron recently posted..Moving On…

33 Nikki September 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I have been wanting to read The New Rules for a while now! Do you recommend it??
Nikki recently posted..Seafood Saturday

34 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I absolutely recommend it! The workouts aren’t for me at the moment, but the information in the first half of the book is fantastic. I literally reference it all of the time!

35 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Your posts are always so informative. Thanks for sharing with all of us! I’m so glad you’re in a better place now girl. :)
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Ben and Jerry’s and Back to Boston

36 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m loving strength training at the moment via Body Pump classes and my own work out that I created. I have NROLW at home but haven’t read it yet- I’m home to incorporate it into my workouts too,.
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Whole Earth Giveaway!

37 sara @ the foodie diaries September 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’ve never read The New Rules but it’s definitely something I’m going to look into now. I believe strength training is extremely important in your workout because although you may not lose weight, your body is getting in shape!

My weekend was spent relaxing with friends and family :)
sara @ the foodie diaries recently posted..The Man with the Red Bandana

38 Emma September 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I need to buy myself some heavier weights, stat!

I think our culture/media/society is too quick to equate thin with fit. That’s part of the reason why I think BMI charts are kinda bogus…just because you are a certain weight with a lot of muscle does not make you “obese.” It’s crazy!

I would looove to build more muscle! If not for looks, than for just being able to DO more!

39 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Ugh don’t even get me started on those darn weight charts.. they are the bane of my existence!

40 Jessica @ rerunrunning September 12, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I haven’t ever read this book… but I might just have to… I’m gonna be honest, it’s really hard for me to get into nutrition/workout/running books (even though I love running more than life). Reading books is usually something I do to escape from the rest of the world, including running… so I really appreciate reading reviews like this. Thanks for the good information and your own personal insight is priceless. It’s good to remember to refuel properly to not sacrifice that muscle that I’m working so hard to build.
I love strength training… I do some at home, but I need to get myself back to the gym to really get the a solid workout in a couple times a week.
And my weekend was so fun! But as always, went way too quick.
Thanks again for the review! Have a fantastic Monday!
Jessica @ rerunrunning recently posted..What a weekend

41 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I feel ya on the fact that you are more into books for entertainment purposes…that makes complete sense to me!
ST is just so darn good for your body, you will feel fantastic if you get a good workout in at a gym :)

42 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Great post and topic in general too. Women so often overlook strength training, and it’s SUCH an important aspect within an overall healthy lifestyle. I love strength training…it makes me feel strong, toned, and accomplished.
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Personal Questions Part II

43 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! September 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I have resisted buying this book, as I think it would get me into a workout rut, get me thinking that this is THE way to go about strength training. At the moment, I’m in my own routine of working out and refueling, using similar but not identical methods. Since I lost a big chunk of weight, I have started putting some back on – but I have to work hard to convince myself that most of it is muscle! It’s a hard thought to get over, but I have to stop and think about how much stronger I truly am now. Even at my lightest weight, I could never run as long, climb as many stairs, or do as many pushups as I can now.
I’m proud of you, as always! Uneventful is often the best alternative to something negative :-)
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Holding On

44 Karla September 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I love that women everywhere are started to strength train too! I read NROL4W… while I really liked it I don’t like how they don’t give you example of entire workouts at stages. I am not very good at being creative when it comes to workouts so Im struggling with finding a routine. Any suggestions are appreciated :-D

Great post, like always!
Karla recently posted..Where Were You

45 Cait's Plate September 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I haven’t read the New Rules yet but I’m definitely curious!

I definitely incorporate strength in some form or another into my routine – it helps a ton!

My weekend was TOO fast!! I want it back!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pears are Back in Town

46 Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks September 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm

weight training is really what I have seen results from. Cardio? Nah. I only (a small amount) cardio whenever I feel like it, but pretty much just focus on lifting it up…and I feel so much better!
Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks recently posted..Picky Bar Review

47 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

When did you start really focusing on strength training? What sort of differences have you noticed? I am just curious to learn how others are changing :)

48 Julia September 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Wow this post really struck a chord in me. Even though I try to eat nut butters, greek yogurt, and such to refuel, I feel that I really need to eat MORE than just a serving size if I really want to gain weight and get healthier. I always eat so much fruit that I refuse to ‘let’ myself do that. I also read women’s mags that say ‘eat 1200 cals per day’ and then I actually feel guilty for eating as much as I do! How sick is that, considering I have pounds to gain? Ugh- it’s such a struggle to GET OUT of that weight LOSS mindset and get in a mindset that allows us to get STRONGER.
Julia recently posted..DFF (Dorm food fridayyyy)

49 tessa8m September 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

It is hard, but Julia… so soooo worth it! Like I wrote in this post, I have gained a lot of weight, but it is not all blubbery, gross, scary fat. Embrace the fact that if you do gain a bit, it is benefiting you so so much. Keep reminding yourself of that when you feel like quitting :)

50 Brittany September 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

BEST post I have read all day. This was awesome! You have inspired me to EAT! There are too many days that I skip a meal because I am busy and within the past week I have stopped doing that and focused more on incorporating the protein into my diet! YAYA that you are having an easier time seeing that eating is the key to maintaining a balanced healthy body!
Brittany recently posted..Blog Vomit

51 Kristy September 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I also jumped on the NROLFW bandwagon after seeing the book all over the blog-world. I found the book very interesting–especially the part about nutrition and about how the combination of cardio and restriction does way more harm than good. I followed the workout plan for a little over two months. I really liked it, but I felt like it focused too much on legs and not enough on abs and arms. I kind of gave up on the plan due to time constraints as well. Right now, I try to do strength training at least once a week, but half marathon training is taking up most of my time. After the half, though, I definitely want to go back to strength training more. I want to be toned! I’m glad you benefited from this book as well : )
Kristy recently posted..Who Am I?

52 Maria@La_Piattini September 12, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I have not read it – I’ll have to see if my library has it!
I have been reading a lot more lately though about the importance of weight training. I used to be a cardio junkie (still am at heart) because all I ever think of is burning more and more calories. But it’s been an ongoing goal of mine to strength train more. I went to BodyPump today and I’m really glad I did- but I can’t deny that before I walked into class I was eyeing up the elliptical and having an inner debate about burning calories. It’s just one of those illogical mind games. I have to keep reminding myself the importance of weight training and just work at it.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Seeking a Restaurant

53 Keri @Blue-Eyed Runner September 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Yes! I have learned to love strength training although it took some time because I am a cardio junkie. Lately I have been loving plyo and bodyweight exercises…
Keri @Blue-Eyed Runner recently posted..Thrive Foods

54 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie September 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I am right there with you – Although WW made me GAIN weight… i was feeling so restricted by weighing all of my food and measuring out everything that i went balls to the wall every sunday.
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Winning Weekend

55 Isabelle September 13, 2011 at 6:41 am

I’ve been wanting to get this book for a while but kept putting it off. I was also fearful that I would change my eating/workout routines after reading books like that. But now I think Ill purchase it!
Isabelle recently posted..Day After The Long Run

56 sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) September 13, 2011 at 7:11 am

I feel so inclined to read this book, I am not too interested in the weight lifting stuff but what you spoke about sounds really interesting. I am so glad to hear that you are re fuelling your body well.

57 Natalie @ will jog for food September 13, 2011 at 7:39 am

Strength training is so important! Also protein after working out. I eat protein at every meal and snack. I’m so scared of losing muscle!
Natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Running for Breakfast

58 tessa8m September 13, 2011 at 8:18 am

I am so at that point now Natalie!

59 Sarah@The Flying ONION September 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

Being strong, fit, happy, healthy. That is SO where it’s at. :D
Sarah@The Flying ONION recently posted..Tis The (Autumn) Season

60 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza September 13, 2011 at 9:50 am

I have this book! I think it’s a GREAT resource with great information. It really helped me see that strength training was important, especially as a woman.

61 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

The “other” sections of NROLFW was exactly why I was so intrigued by the book and program. While I am following the strength training workouts in it, I thought the other parts of the book were incredibly well written. I don’t think any other “exercise” (very general term there) has ever kept my interest like this one did. I”m not following their meal plan, but I love the strength training so far!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Crispy shallot brussel sprouts & giveaway winner!

62 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl September 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I LUV being buff! That being said, by the time I finish with cardio, I rarely have too much time for strength training. My body responds really well to lifting and tones easily, so I know if I put in the time I’d be so happy with the results. Right now, I put in about 15 minutes at the end of some workouts. I’m going to try to increase that amount!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Cupcake Mondays – Stuff It!

63 Sarah (Every Day's a Picnic) September 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Wow – this is an amazing post! Like you, I’ve heard lots and lots of good things about this book, but I’ve not read it yet. I do incorporate strength into my exercise routine a couple of times a week, not necessarily to improve my appearance, but to improve my strength and my overall fitness.
I’ve been in that cycle of eating less and less as it becomes more difficult to lose weight, but I never once considered what I was doing to my muscle mass. Thank you for discussing such an interesting and important topic.
Sarah (Every Day’s a Picnic) recently posted..Gold Challenge Update: In Praise of Walking

64 Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

LOVE strength training! and I LOVE this post. (Honestly, I love all your posts. :P) But I actually really want to pick up a copy of this book, because I tend to have issues with knowing how much to eat. (grrr. it sucks).
But, I am seeing so many results from lifting (holla muscles!!! :D ) I’m glad you jumped on the lifting bandwagon!
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..confession time

65 Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm

You should definitely consider the book! Trust me I am not endorsing it or anything, it’s just quite helpful
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..“The New Rules…” Reality Check

66 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn September 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

As usual an amazing post! You are so so brave for writing about all of the problems you have had and about your difficult experiences, I really really admire you Tessa :-)
And horray for strength training, when I’m in my proper routine I prefer to do more strength than cardio! It just makes you feel good :-)
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..A Busy Busy Day

67 erica September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

i LOVE the idea of lifting. i usually do a quick strength training routine (usually around 10-15 minutes of the staples/variations of the staples) because i get sooooo unbelievably bored.
staples being: deadlift, squat, &bench press

sadly, i just like to run.
erica recently posted..Maybe I am a deadbeat blogger?

68 tessa8m September 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hey running is just fine too… but throwing ST in to mix things up can be quite helpful for making you run better :)

69 Jennie September 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Oh yes those ladies are hooot! I love NROLFW – it actually makes logical sense unlike most of the silly diet books around. I abssolutely love the philosophy on food and metabolism, it’s like you’re reading it and going ‘yes’!! ‘yes!’ ‘ oh the relief at good guidence for once’ haha. Now fruit is damn amazing but needs to be an extra. Like you I thought that by eating all fruit and veg at one point that I would be super healthy when in fact quite the opposite is true! I’m trying to incorporate lifting heavy a few times a week but my body craves cardio like crazy so am not really feeling the effects but love cardio too much to not do it less than 3 times a week. Loved reding this and jealous of your nice weather ;p
Jennie recently posted..Mean Girls!

70 Rasha @ PBAddiction September 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Glad you had a fulfilling weekend :) I have not heard of this book before but I’m happy it provides interesting insight to views many people may or may not hold in regards to losing weight. I do strength training about once a week (or, used to..need to get back on that bandwagon) with BodyPump, but could probably up it to twice a week.
Rasha @ PBAddiction recently posted..Bliss :)

71 Danielle Spellman @ Squirrel Snackin' September 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I can relate to this so much! But for me, it got to the point where I could barely work out anymore. I’d do a kickboxing class 3 times a week and just felt weak the whole time. Now that I’m eating right and gained weight and muscle, I feel so much stronger and I can do any workout! It feels good. :)
Danielle Spellman @ Squirrel Snackin’ recently posted..Turning a bad week into a productive one

72 tessa8m September 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I am so glad to hear that girl! That inspires me to keep on going with these healthy habits :)

73 B n B September 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Hey, don’t dread fat – it’s not all bad girl ;)
B n B recently posted..Just Watch It. TV.

74 Cecily @ rerunrunning.com September 13, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I loved this. I just, I’m not sure what else to say. I’m so impressed by your new healthy outlook, so happy for you. Keep it up! It’s inspiring.

75 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

SO glad that you had a weekend where it was easier to deal with…. I bask in the glory of what it felt like to not feel owned by the disorder for once. It was such a freeing feeling when those chains loosened, if only for a short time! I truly understand where you are coming from.
There is information coming in from all directions and it is hard to know what to do sometimes, finding what is right for each of us is key. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know what the heck that is! :) …. I do know that >I< need to do more strength training! Those muscles need to be used!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip

76 Leila @ Spinach and Skittles September 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm

This is such a well written and thoughtful post. It conjured up LOTS of memories for me. I used, and completely abused, weight watchers when I was in college. I wouldn’t eat my activity points, believing that I was different and didn’t need them. One day I calculated how many calories I was getting (with an average of 50 cal/point), and realized that it was hovering around the 1000-1250 mark if I ate all of my points. But I wasn’t eating them all, I would skimp on them, thinking I didn’t really need 20, so I’d eat like 13-17 points…so it was really more like 650-850 cal/day…but I convinced myself that I was healthy, because WW was a healthy approach to losing weight. And so the spiral begins! Sigh.

I haven’t picked up New Rules, but now I’m interested in grabbing a copy. Chapter four sounds like it is right up my ally!
Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..You don’t know what canned pumpkin is?

77 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Weight Watchers is probably the only “diet” that I think would ever work for me. I cannot stand feeling like I have to deprive myself. When that happens to me, I go all out. I love that WW embraces the “everything in moderation” thang. That I can get down with. I have never personally tried it, but I have heard a LOT of success stories.

I incorporate a lot of Body Pump in my routine, though I have been slacking on that recently. I miss it, I need to get back into it!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Peaches Hurt My Lips

78 Christina September 19, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Holy cow! So many comments I read through! =) such a great post. It’s great to hear that you’re on the upswing with everything and treating your body with the love it deserves!
I read New Rules and loved it and hated it at the same time. As a Kinesiology major, I was able to agree with a lot of what Lou (the author, also notice he has no credentials) had to say but also disagreed with it. There is no way I’m going to try to eat 2,000 calories in a day. 1,700 for me is even pushing it on a daily basis, and he “bans” cardio which I LOVE! but generally speaking, he’s got the right idea. Lift heavy weights! Eat real food! I hate seeing girls at the gym with 2 pound weights thinking that they’re going to change their body!
-Christina <3
Christina recently posted..Day 1.