When Your Efforts Pay Off

by tessa8m on September 26, 2011

in Race Recap,Weekend Recap

Ahh here we are at the beginning of a new week again. Well at least the weather is still warm here, I will continue wearing flip flops and shorts as I long as I possibly can!

Thank you for all of your well wishes, compliments and supportive words from Friday’s post. And not just on the new kicks and baking disasters (although I did laugh at other similar occurrences), but most importantly on the race I ran on Saturday morning, the Wicked Half Marathon in Salem! As I discussed on Friday, I realized after careful consideration that I truly wanted to run this race, and for what I believe to be the “right reasons.”

I want to reflect on the race, but first I need to get some thoughts out on this… bear with me :)

For so many years now, running has been a hobby I have adopted because I am (pretty sure) I enjoyed it. But what I can now understand is that while yes, I loved how running allowed me to step back from my life for a period of time, the main motivation to continue this activity has always been to lose weight or at least maintain my weight. After I quit swimming my senior, I sought another activity that could substitute the endurance-demanding sport I had participated in for so long. When I took up running, it was because I desired to stay in shape, and most importantly it was to lose the extra bit of weight that had crept on after I stopped swimming.

Therefore, ever since I began this sport, the underlying goal has always been about calories and weight loss. Slowly but surely, I have allowed running to become an activity that I “have” to do or else I will gain too much weight, or I will fall out of running shape if I don’t job for more than 2 days in a row. I am not talking about complete rest days leading to being out of shape, I am referring to my irrational fear that no running for more than 2 days= I lose my stride.

When an activity is thought of in this way, it eventually becomes a chore, something you have to do, and not because you want to. That is exactly what running had become for me prior to just this summer. Somewhere along the way, this hobby became an obligation, a requirement that I had no interest in taking part of. However, my routine, controlling, illogical self would never “allow” me to stop such any sort of activity having to do with food and weight. Those two things have always (well for the last 5 or so years) have been the most important aspects of my life, so anything that enables me to control these aspects stays put.

It didn’t matter if I would rather sever my own arm off then go for a run, I would do it anyway! Running had to remain a part of my life because it meant I could keep my weight down, while burning tons of calories, giving me the illusive permission to eat a bit more than usual. I was stuck in this ridiculous trap of feeling compelled to run, as the alternative was to stop, get fat, and hate my life even more than I already did.

I ran the Boston Run To Remember at the end of May and didn’t do as well as I hoped. Reflecting on it now, it would have been best for me to NOT participate… and yet even with all of the advice from readers, I still went ahead with it anyway. The race was not terrible by any means, but I was definitely overly-fatigued and simply needed a break. I will admit now that as much as I would like to tell myself I did the Run To Remember for the “right” reasons… I didn’t. A huge part of me was excited at the prospect of burning so many calories… Phew, I just admitted that.

When I began my internship this summer, my workouts changed with the start of the season. I went from steady jogs, tempo runs, speed workouts, and distance runs, to boot-camp style fitness, much more weight training, and shorter and faster runs. I began to fall in love with these types of workouts, as they went by so fast, challenged me and also changed my body in ways I wouldn’t expect. I am so much stronger now, proud of the muscles I have gained after allowing them to waste away during the darkest times of my eating disorder…

Okay so what in the heck does this all have to do with the race on Saturday? Well a lot… so allow me to actually discuss the race :)

As I said before, I ran this race because I truly wanted to… and after some self-reflection, I understood that it had nothing to do with weight and burning calories. I was not hoping for a PR or anything like that, but just to experience the race vibe, the cheering, the support, the sense of accomplishment… all of these things that make the sport wonderful.

My morning started bright and early with a wake up call at 4:15, as the race started at 7:00 am. I wanted to allow myself enough time to wake up, move around a bit, get some blood flowing, and have coffee to hopefully get things err moving along… (TMI, sorry). But seriously, if I don’t go before races, bad news bears, as I spend the entire time suffering with stomach cramps.

Sooo anyway, crisis averted! To prep for the challenge I was about to take on, I fueled myself properly with 1.5 whole wheat flat breads, spread with 2 tablespoons of plain, unsalted almond butter and a banana. A very standard pre-race meal but one that seems to work for me.

My date for the event was my mom of course (thank goodness for her love and support in this!) and we arrived with a bit of time to spare.. aka me walking around impatient, nervous, and debating whether or not I had to pee.

The gun went off at precisely 7 am and we were off!

With no specific goal in mind, I began to run and gauged how I felt- tired? stiff? sore? energized perhaps? In the beginning I was quite tight and not really feeling it. However as the miles went on, I felt progressively stronger and was maintaining a pretty fast pace for me. It really wasn’t until I hit mile 10 that my body started to wonder what the hell I was subjecting it to and began to rebel against me. I felt incredibly fatigued those last 3 miles… could not WAIT for it all to end, as I am pretty sure I have never been so tired in my life. But in the end, it was all worth it.

Quite unexpectedly, I PRed by 4 minutes from my previous time of 1:40.40 at Boston’s Run To Remember in 2010, and came in at 1:36.40! According to the results I was the third woman in my age group (20-29), and 40th out of 850 (ish) people.

Immediately after I drank water and gatorade and nibbled on some bread to stop myself from fainting over simply keeling over. Oh and putting my legs up like this helped to get some of the blood moving again that seemed to be MIA from the rest of my body.

So flippen tired.

The only downside from all of this was that I felt pretty sick the rest of the day. I was crampy, nauseous and just bleh… but I pushed through those feelings by eating and drinking pretty much all day. It wasn’t the distance that effected me, it was the effort I put into this race that really through my body for a loop. As I said before, I am fairly positive this was the most tired I have ever been during a run! But again, all worth it :)

Seriously, I could not have been more pleased with this. I was truly not expecting to PR but when I saw around mile 9 that I could get a best time if I went under 10 minute miles, well I was thrilled. As much as it hurt to push myself to maintain a 7:30 ish split those last few miles, I did and was rewarded.

I think it’s safe to say I am falling in love with running (once again?). I am tentatively adding “once again” because as I mentioned before, I can’t really decide if I ever enjoyed running, or have just thrived off the physical results it has provided me with… weight loss. This past summer and countless other articles and books have showed me that running is certainly NOT the only way to stay in shape, far from it as a matter of fact. By allowing myself to take a step back from the sport and try other things, I am rekindling a passion that has been hiding within me for so long now.

That being said, I am not suddenly going to stop my strength training, plyometrics and other similar-style workouts. In fact, my love for those different types of fitness grows each and every day. Running will be incorporated into my weekly schedule, but it no longer feels like an obligation, and let me tell you, that is a relief.

I believe I am reaching a point where fitness, working out, running, etc, is something that I do because I love the way it makes me feel. I won’t lie to you though and say that vanity, calories and weight is not still a tremendously large part of why I workout… because it is. How much I weight, how many calories I burned that day, how I look… these things are always on my mind, but I am seeing them differently. I am realizing that fitness is beyond controlling yourself to appear a certain way, it can actually bring you emotional and mental rewards as well. Duh yes, we have all heard this, but now I am actually experiencing it for myself.

This weekend I was able to PR because I am that much healthier, both mentally and physically… I mean things could not be more clear. My body is stronger, properly fueled, rested (I could relax more though!).. and you know what else? I achieved a best time even with all of the dreaded “extra weight” I have put on. I have proven to myself that adding weight is not equal to a slower me, in fact, the exact opposite has occurred and in the best way possible. Mentally, I was ready to take on the challenge of the race and for what I consider to be the right reasons.

This one race has shown me so much- allowed me to realize a number of different aspects that are part of this recovery, and that the hard work that I am putting in to get myself better… well it’s actually paying off. Who would have thought? Not me that’s for sure, but I am going to continue this rather rewarding process :)

Have you ever done unexpectedly well or better than you believed you could in some kind of race, event, test, etc?

If you had lost interest in something, how have you rekindled this something you used to enjoy? Or how do you plan to?

Do you have any further suggestions of how to enjoy working out beyond the weight-related benefits? This is still a work in progress for me after all!

What is the best thing you did and ate this weekend?! I included the eating question because I have so many wonderful recipes to share with you later this week… some of these were the best thing I consumed :)

Have a nice rest of your day!

1 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 26, 2011 at 6:13 am

Great race, Tessa! That is a fabulous time!!

When I ran my first race ever.. I totally shocked myself running a 10K in 47 something. NEVER thought I could do miles under 7 minutes… consistently!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Run Down

2 tessa8m September 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Wow that’s an awesome time, and on your first race!

3 Emma September 26, 2011 at 6:15 am

That sounds like great progress for you! If you decide to do more weight training as part of your workout, you can measure your success by how much weight you are able to lift, not by how much you weigh!

Emma recently posted..Come On, Sushi!

4 Lenna September 26, 2011 at 6:36 am

Sounds like you are on the right way :) I need to swithc my workout routine quite often so it keeps me entertained and I don´t take it as a chore. Also working out with a friend works for me, two people = double fun :)
Lenna recently posted..How I graped the weekend out

5 Khushboo Thadani September 26, 2011 at 6:57 am

Girl you are a speed demon!- awesome time! I am experiencing the same with running these days! Running for me in the past meant burning a whole load of calories and giving me eating leeway. Now I actually want to run and do it for the sense of achievement and you know what, I actually look forward to each one of my runs! I am currently setting some new running goals which has really renewed my motivation to work out!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Blog posts > birthday cards

6 tessa8m September 27, 2011 at 11:20 am

That’s awesome to hear Khushboo! What are your new running goals?

7 Khushboo Thadani September 27, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thanks Tessa. I’ve been hovering around the 5 mile mark for ages now so I am working towards building up to 10 miles…I just started the training plan on Monday and so far so good :)
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Go for goal!

8 Illberevolutionary September 26, 2011 at 7:16 am

I found the same, at my lowest weight I was running and every week I felt I was ‘fit’ (… yeah no.) And now, 5 and a half kilograms HEAVIER and still going up, I run so much better with so much weight on me. It’s ridiculous, I thought gaining so much weight would slow me down, but I can run so fast and I can actually enjoy it and not get tired. I wouldn’t trade all this weight for anything in the world, now =)
Illberevolutionary recently posted..My week of a day in an explosion of a post.

9 Alexandra September 26, 2011 at 7:25 am

Awesome job on the race girl!! :D You should be so insanely proud of your progress. To be able to say you’re reaching the point where you do exercise out of love is HUGE. Can you believe how far you’ve come?!
Best thing I ate this weekend was fresh tilapia at Red Lobster mmm And I gotta say, I’m stoked for your recipe post, your eats never fail to make me a ravenous beast haha ;)
Alexandra recently posted..A Penny For Your Thoughts

10 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 26, 2011 at 7:29 am

Great job girl! Can’t wait for all your yummy recipes this week :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Ch-Ch-Changes

11 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 26, 2011 at 7:53 am

Major congrats girl! You should be so so so proud of yourself, not only for your PR, but for your new outlook on running. That’s such a big step! :)

To make sure I always enjoy exercise, I like to take new routes when running because it makes every run feel new and exciting!

The best thing I ate this weekend was roasted acorn squash. It’s my favourite fall food!
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Swimming win, muffin fail

12 Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 27, 2011 at 11:22 am

Oh yay that’s great you are enjoying running now :) What is your favorite way to prepare acorn stress? I need some new ideas!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..When Your Efforts Pay Off

13 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com September 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

I enjoy working out now that I am expanding my options outside a treadmill. I wrote about this today on my blog but I haven absolutely fallen in love with Zumba. I love to dance and this is such an awesome way to use muscles I dont normally, have fun and the hour flys by!!!
hmmm best thing I ate this weekend?! Thats a really tough one but I made some yummy granola bars in sharing in WIAW and mad two kinds of chili that were pretty yummy!

14 lindsay September 26, 2011 at 8:42 am

i think its safe to say that you are a true athlete now! You run because you are motivated by the sport. You fuel your body to perfom at its best, you rest because you want to continue to strengthen your body, and you cross train to keep the body in balance. Your mind has evolved from counting calories and pounds to counting blessings within the sport of running. Thats something to celebrate!
lindsay recently posted..Weekends are for Memories

15 Nikki September 26, 2011 at 8:51 am

Way to go, girl!! That is freaking amazing! I am so happy you are enjoying running for the right reasons!
Nikki recently posted..We are…PENN STATE!

16 Carolina @ Peas in a Blog September 26, 2011 at 9:23 am

Great job, you go girl! I just ran a race for the second year in a row & could definitely see/feel the difference this time around. Training does pay off!
Carolina @ Peas in a Blog recently posted..I Run This City…

17 Emily@RunningPerspective September 26, 2011 at 9:35 am

GIRL AWESOMEEEE JOB on your half like honestly AMAZING i am so so so happy for you and YOUR NEW PR you are amazing girl<3
Emily@RunningPerspective recently posted..finally! and getting schedulizeddd

18 Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense September 26, 2011 at 9:36 am

I used to love getting that “second wind” feeling when running seems almost effortless… haven’t had that feeling for awhile… ha!
In high school I ran my best race after eating a hamburger. Totally unexpected.
I don’t plan to ever get back into running unless I do it for the enjoyment … probably not going to happen.
My favorite “exercise” is hiking… I truly enjoy it and that’s likely what I’ll stick with!
Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense recently posted..Pumpkin Is Back + Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

19 Gen September 26, 2011 at 9:45 am

Congrats Tessa! That finishing time is amazing – geez you’re fast girl! I hope you’re very VERY proud of yourself there, since you did it the proper way, fueling properly, thinking clearly, and finishing strong.
BTW – I finally found some time to start my own blog, come check it out :)
Gen recently posted..Let’s bring this blog to life – Weekend Recap

20 tessa8m September 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

Thank you Gen! I will surely check out your blog, how exciting you started one!

21 Jordan September 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

congratulations tessa!! this is awesome. i am currently rediscovering my love for running as well, since i couldn’t do it for so long when i was injured. nothing beats a runners high!!
Jordan recently posted..Pumpkin Pie. For Breakfast.

22 Sweet and Savvy September 26, 2011 at 10:32 am

Wow! You had one Awesome race! :) Glad to hear That You are on the road to run for something other than your weight. :)

23 cat @ cat's belly fat cure September 26, 2011 at 11:04 am

Great job on the race.

24 Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} September 26, 2011 at 11:07 am

WOW, that’s an incredible half time!!
Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} recently posted..monday advice.

25 Allie September 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

You did so great and you just keep making progress with yourself! I love it :)

26 Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin September 26, 2011 at 11:52 am

Congrats on your PR. That’s great! I like to keep changing my workouts otherwise I would get bored. Doing different workouts and/or dvds helps keep things interesting and fun.
Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin recently posted..Quick and Easy Comfort Food

27 Sara K September 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Congratulations on the race! I definitely used to think of working out as merely a miserably calorie-burning activity; but nowadays my forms of working out tend to be in walking/dancing/tennis…fun stuff; and if I do go to the gym, I pump myself up with a fun playlist, plus I just love that mental clarity/endorphins it brings me (which I find only happens if I fuel up properly)
Best thing I ate this weekend: FALAFEL and baklava :)
Sara K recently posted..Queen of Sheba

28 Hayley @ Oat Couture September 26, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Oooh well done on a great race love!! :) You should be super proud of the race and your progress with regards to everything else!! I can completely identify with this post! It’s only now I have found a sport that I truly LOVE doing in Muay Thai, and if one day I really don’t feel like it I am slowly learning to just take a break and not think too much about it. The great thing about the sessions I have with Muay Thai is that they’re so hardcore I can go 3 or 4 times a week and get the same benefits as if I was working out 6 days a week! :)
Hayley @ Oat Couture recently posted..Manchester Weekender

29 Cecily @ rerunrunning.com September 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm

So happy that you’re race went so well! P.R. – ing is the best, especially when you don’t expect it. I’m so happy your new workouts keep you both happy and help you run fast. It’s good to take a break from all the long runs, high miles, etc, sometimes.

One way I stay in love with running (and why I originally fell in love with it) is the competition. I just love the feeling of racing, the preparation and excitement beforehand, pushing myself for me and, definitely yes, to beat others around me. I love sprinting into the finish line (when I can, that is. It all gives me a great rush.
Cecily @ rerunrunning.com recently posted..Memory Monday: Three years ago

30 Shannon September 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Great post! Congrats on your new PR! Thats soo awesome!! :D
Shannon recently posted..Time for a Giveaway!

31 Kristi @ Sweetly Fit September 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Oh wow congrats girl!!! You rock, don’t you ever forget it! <3
Kristi @ Sweetly Fit recently posted..Drink Love and Grocery Runs

32 tessa8m September 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

33 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Congratulations on your PR! I’m glad you’re starting to love running again. I’ve always loved strength training, and running was something I did for weight loss and I always felt like I “had” to. While there was a point in my life where I thought I loved running, after my half marathon I truly haven’t felt like doing it. Rather than force it, I’ve been keeping up with my strength training and forgoing running until I get the urge again. I’m so glad you thought the race through and truly enjoyed yourself!
Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles recently posted..PB&J HippieBars

34 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Yay, congrats on your PR! So glad your hard work paid off!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..The plan and the planning

35 Sonia (the Mexigarian) September 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Congrats on completing the race with a PR! I completely agree with how weight was/is the main factor for working out. Coupled with an eating disorder and their goes not only the weight but health and solid mind set. Every now and then I still catch myself looking at calorie burn on treadmills or bikes or even on my Garmin. Doing a workout because you enjoy/love it for the way it makes you feel is another mental break through.

I kind of like running, or dare say I love the race aspect of it? I have only participated in 2 races and love the feeling, the excitement, the current in the air of everyone as equals waiting to start.

Good food that I had over the weekend? Linguine with mushrooms a melted swiss cheese sauce. Heavy, but it helped with the liter of beer I drank at Oktoberfest o.O;;
Sonia (the Mexigarian) recently posted..Call me Rainbow Brite

36 Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Hahaha this is so random but I have that EXACT same top!!!! The blue raceback one! That’s so funny.

I’m glad you’re able to see when you’re running for the right reasons (and when you’re not). That’s a huge step!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Cranky Cookie Cravings

37 Colleen September 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Congrats!!!! I PR’d in a huge mud adventure race last wkend. I was in complete shock!! 5th in my age group (out of 960) and 16th overall (out of 20,000). I’ve never been more proud of my body. I totally credit 2 rest days prior to the event or this PR. Those were HARD for me to do!
I exercise b/c 1) I love it 2) I get paid for it (instructor) 3) calorie burn (somedays).

38 tessa8m September 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Holy moly Colleen, that is amazing! How long was your race, and what was your time?

39 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Wow – awesome job in your race, Tessa!! You should be so proud! :)
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Family Rivalry

40 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Tessa~congratulations!! And I am so blessed by your constant honesty~you are one of a kind :D <3
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..A Guest Post from Tina

41 Tara September 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

This makes me so happy!! First of all, CONGRATS on an amazing time!!! That’s so great! I’m glad you had such a positive experience. I can definitely relate to only running to burn calories – the thought creeps in sometimes when I don’t run. But on the days that I do run, I remember that it’s not just about that, that is simply a benefit. Running does so much more for me than that! I just love it!
Tara recently posted..Fall Favorites

42 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Congrats Tessa!! You did such a fabulous job :). I’m glad that you had a good experience and that you are realizing that exercise and fitness is about more than just burning calories and staying skinny! I still sometimes get stuck in that mindset, but once you know that it means so much more, it’s a lot easier to not let those bog you down!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Supersets and Chicken for One

43 kalie September 26, 2011 at 6:31 pm

good job! :)

44 Lindsay September 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Way to go girl! That is seriously amazing. I really want to have that feeling toward running where its more than just something to lose weight. Also, Salem has marathons! I never knew. In case you didn’t know there is this hilarious little wax like museum there (museum haha its more like a small shop). I forgot the name, but my brother and I always drive by it when we are in town visiting my family.
Lindsay recently posted..It’s survey time

45 Natasha September 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Wow that’s an awesome time for the half marathon!!! I have one coming up in three weeks which i’m so excited for – the longest I have ever ran on my own is like 11 miles and I didn’t time myself – but I can hold a pretty solid pace (definitely under 8 min miles) so I’m excited about it!!!
I surprised myself this summer by being able to come first (for females) in the second sprint tri i did – it was awesome!
One thing that I think I will always love is running – I have been slacking a bit this past week and in general I just feel kinda bleh without it! Swimming, on the other hand, I definitely lost my passion for it! I remember how proud I was when I pr-ed at states, but now I just don’t love it as much and I don’t think I ever will because running has seemed to overshadow it haha! And I am totally ok with that!
Natasha recently posted..Whole Foods Goodies and Monday Blues

46 Mariel @Pureglow16 September 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Hey! Thankyou SO MUCh for commenting on my blog! It truly means so much to me!
I’m glad you liked the bars!
Love your blog! Looking forward to your posts! xox
best thing i ate? Kale chips.
Mariel @Pureglow16 recently posted..Cookie dough bars

47 Kristy September 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Congrats on your half marathon PR! You’re super speedy girl. I’m training for my first half marathon in November, and I’ll be happy with anytime around 2 hours.

I’m so happy that you are forming a healthier relationship with running. I love running so much, but I do worry that I sometimes care too much about the calories I burn while running. Often times, I force myself to run when I’d rather eat my own foot off than pound away at the pavement.

I’m super happy for you : )
Kristy recently posted..PDR and a Great Race!

48 Maria@La_Piattini September 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Great job on your PR- that’s amazing! It’s really wonderful that you’ve reflected so much on running and now know you’re doing it for reasons that are right for you.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..September Date: The Yankees Win

49 kate @ pomelo sunshine September 26, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Great time! I surprised myself with my time at my last 5K, I felt awful at the start and was shocked to see my splits.

I work out because it makes me feel good. Part of that is definitely the weight benefit but overall health is my real goal. I feel better, my body errr…regulates itself better and I just have more energy. It sounds like you’re starting to run for the right reasons and that’s so great! Keep it up, lady!
kate @ pomelo sunshine recently posted..pumpkin cupcakes with dulce de leche filling + my first giveaway!!!

50 Christina @ The Athletarian September 27, 2011 at 12:08 am

I really really liked reading this recap!! Awesome job on PRing! You are super fast. I hope to run that fast one day too! I surprised myself in my second half marathon. I ran my first one in 1:58 and my second in 1:44. I didn’t train for the second one at all, just went in with fresh legs and no intention of setting a PR. I was STUNNED when I crossed the line because I didn’t have a Garmin at the time. I think less stress and knowing you are in it for the love and fun = better performance :)
Christina @ The Athletarian recently posted..Apple picking and a winner!

51 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! September 27, 2011 at 12:27 am

Congrats on the amazing race! Both the PR and personal progress. I seriously read every word of this, it was inspiring! I’ve never gotten seriously into any one sport, but I’m setting my sights on entering a race by next summer :-)
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Why do we care?

52 Isabelle September 27, 2011 at 5:47 am

I am beyond happy for you. Awesome results! Congratulations on your PR and placing in your age division.

I am the same as you in respect with weight gain & better results with my running times. Since increasing my intake and the added weight gain my times have vastly improved. In fact I’m running faster then I was last year :)
Best thing I ate this weekend was lunch on Sunday was a Greek Salad and a Smoked Salmon sandwich!

Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration to me :)
Isabelle recently posted..I’m Sprinting Again

53 Kate @ Chasing It September 27, 2011 at 7:04 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I’m so so so happy the race went so well for you – 1:36, jeez you’re a speedy one! :-D And it really honestly makes me smile to read that you’re starting to love running…just for running.

I got into running to fuel the eating disorder, but then somewhere along the line I fell in love with running itself…and realized that I couldn’t be a GOOD runner AND be super skinny/starving myself. I could pick one or the other. So in the end, running kind of helped me get healthy – and it’s still helping me get my eating on track!

Since running is my main thing, when I’m training for something the load can get pretty hefty sometimes, and I do have days where it feels like a chore. But because I run with an end-goal in mind, if I want to reach that…I sometimes have to run even when I’d rather stay in bed. Usually it’s fine to push through it, but if I have more than 3 days in a row like this, that’s a sign that it’s time for some rest – which I take! :)

I gotta tell you this post really really does make me happy – I love running sooo much and so it really does put a smile on my face to hear your success story with it! :) and I can’t wait to see all those recipes you’ve got!! :-D
Kate @ Chasing It recently posted..A Building Year

54 Errign September 27, 2011 at 7:14 am

I think taking it slow & keeping your thoughts positive towards working out and your body will help you remember you’re working out because you like it, not because you have to.
Errign recently posted..Brain n’ Picture Dump.

55 Ragnhild September 27, 2011 at 7:38 am

You are so amazing Tessa!! Congrats on your PR!! Im so happy that you can feel the benefits from fueling better and resting more! Keep it up! :)

I dont do races (Ive only done one half marathon), but just this morning I had a GREAT run. I felt a little crappy this morning, and didnt really feel like running. But I made myself do it and reminded me how much better it makes me feel. And that hour was amazing! Exactelly what I needed, and I felt energetic and strong through it all! Yey for running :)

Hugs <3
Ragnhild recently posted..26.09: Its The Small Things..

56 Kat September 27, 2011 at 9:27 am

Congrats on such a great race girl!! You should be so PROUD at how far you’ve come and what you have been able to achieve :)

57 Sarah September 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

I am so glad you are able to see why you really starting up running, but more importantly that you are enjoying it and having fun with races! So proud of you :)
I totally feel like whole wheat bagels/toast/english muffins + nut butter + banana is the BEST pre-race breakfast!

58 tessa8m September 27, 2011 at 11:18 am

It really is the best pre-race meal…simple, energizing and gentle on your stomach :)

59 Faith @ For the Health of It September 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

Congratulations on the amazing race and the results! This was such an inspiring post to read – the right mindset can really make a huge difference in results. Be proud – you rock!

60 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie September 27, 2011 at 11:12 am

YOU are AMAZING Tessa!!! I hope to be as fast as you someday :)
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Eating it…Literally

61 tessa8m September 27, 2011 at 11:18 am

Ahh thank you Alyssa… :D

62 Liz @ Southern Charm September 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I lost interest in running. It was more of a chore than a choice. I have rekindled some love for running. I really love interval training and sprinting, so now I do that instead of a 6 mile steady run.

Congrats on your race results!! Love that you surprised yourself! Bet you appreciated it even more :)
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Nutritional Yeast

63 tessa8m September 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hi LIz! Thank you fro stopping by and your sweet comment :)

64 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn September 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm

As always your positive attitude made me smile :-)
What a great race, you’ve made so much progress!
I’m so happy for you and congrats on your PR!
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..Just Checking In

65 Mom September 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Good job Honey :)
Mom recently posted..When Your Efforts Pay Off

66 tessa8m September 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thanks Ma!

67 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm

You are so speedy girl! It’s inspiring!

I can’t wait to read your recipes!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Wine Tasting in Santa Barbara

68 Alaina September 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Congrats Tessa!! That’s an amazing time!! :-)

After my first marathon, I had such a hard time eating all day. I knew that I should but just couldn’t stomach it.
Alaina recently posted..Dining a Deux

69 AJohnson September 27, 2011 at 7:58 pm

you are such an inspriration girl! I really look forwarding to reading your posts! Congrats on your race stats! you did amazing and should be so incredibly proud of you and your body. BTW, your legs are amazing and killer!
AJohnson recently posted..Honesty Hurts

70 Amy Lauren September 27, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m a new reader but that is an amazing half marathon time! Plus it was good that you ran it for the right reasons. I was going to do another half this November but am doubting it because I would be doing it for weight control as well, and I just don’t think it’d be a wise decision right now.

Oh, and your post race pictures are so beautiful! You look great after 13.1 miles :). I PRed in a 5K 2 weeks ago, time was 23:23 which was really awesome for me! Didn’t expect it because all my practice times were like 24:30 or so.

As far as benefits of working out besides weight, have you ever done CrossFit? I did it a few times because my company paid for us to have a few sessions there, and it sorta helped my body image because I was able to do things I never imagined, like a pull up (even if it was assisted) and lifting heavy weights. It really made me appreciate what my body could do rather than how many calories were burned in a workout.
Amy Lauren recently posted..Running from Fears and Chasing Dreams

71 tessa8m September 28, 2011 at 7:11 am

Hi Amy, thank you so so much for stopping by! That is an awesome 5k time.. seriously! And now think next time that you can do even better :)
And yes I have heard and done CrossFit… a bit! I do want to try and get more into it though, it really is an awesome program and like you said, helps you appreciate milestones you make during the workouts. I have never done a pull up in my life, but that would be something to work towards

72 Alexa @ SimpleEats September 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Awesome job on the race girly! I’d say to reap the benefits of exercise, just try to focus on how you feel after you exercise and not burning calories. It’s definitely a mental struggle, but I’m sure you can get through it.
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Snack Attack

73 Sarah September 27, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Great job on the PR! I’m at such a weird place with my running right now, this morning’s run was great…but I know that I’m not out of the rut yet and that “chore” feeling could come back at any time. I’m trying to focus on picking “fun” goal races over the next few months, run without my watch/without focusing on pace the whole time, and adding in XT to spice things up. I think that switching from working out to lose weight to working out just for the health/mental health benefits is hard, since everyone around me at least seems to want to talk about calories burned and this and that. I just try to focus on me, and the things I enjoy. I enjoy running when I take the pressure off (for now at least, someday I’d love to have the real racing spark come back!), so I run. I love looking at Bob Harper, so I’ll pop in a DVD of his now and again ;) Just try to find something you love to do, and the rest will fall into place!
Sarah recently posted..You Fancy Huh

74 Brittany September 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

You are my running idol..for real…I faccckkin love you! GREAT JOB!
Brittany recently posted..Herroww

75 Jessica @ rerunrunning September 30, 2011 at 9:03 am

Great race!!! Awesome pr!

I get pretty sick after big races like that, where I put forth a lot of effort… especially if the race is longer. It usually messes my stomach up for a day or two… not fun or pretty, but somehow still worth it when you get awesome times! :)
Jessica @ rerunrunning recently posted..Sweat, Bones, Pico de Gallo