Guest Post- Smart Ways To Prep

by tessa8m on October 16, 2011

in Awesome Bloggers,Guest Post

Good Morning!

This is the week that is going to be rather hellacious for me as far as exams, papers, meetings, and several other obligations are concerned. Because I really must study and cannot be tempted to blog (too much), you will be seeing a few guests post throughout the week from a few rather lovely ladies that graciously wrote one for me!

Tomorrow I will be recapping my race from yesterday and perhaps a WIAW post… and I will very likely be commenting and reading all of your blogs…. whoops, I can’t stay away! haha

So let me present you with the first guest post from Melissa! I recently discovered her blog and I am rather glad I did. Not only are her pictures absolutely stunning, but she is gorgeous and quite talented! I am excited to feature her on my blog :)

Take it away Melissa!

Hi there, I´m Melissa from neon flamingos and white peacocks and this is actually my very 1st guest post – yayy, excitement :)

I love Tessa´s blog as she is an awesome, beautiful and strong young lady who truly speaks from her heart and I´m in total awe of her ability to express the inner battles and mind-games unfortunately so many of us are dealing with! Thank you Tessa ♥ Reading your blog personally helps me so much!

For today I wanted to share some meal and snack ideas which are quick, nutritious, easy to prep and mess free to pack for a day on campus – or school, work, etc.

For me it was trial and error. Trying to be über creative with my packed lunches and ending up with rather inedible, mushy messes in my school bag. Now I stick to safe and trusted options – please feel free to sub whatever foods you personally enjoy and love ♥

I always appreciate the days I have actually time to sneak in the dining hall for half an hour and have the opportunity to choose from a very decently stocked veggie and salad bar (I eat a dairy free, mostly vegan diet). However I do not always find the time and even if I do, truth to be told, veggies are delicious but on their own clearly not substantial enough to fuel your brain and body for a long day on campus.

A little planning and prepping on the weekends is necessary but will certainly pay off!

keep your cupboard stocked with dried fruit, cereal, crackers, nuts etc.

I love bars but to be honest - eating your weight in bars can be rather pricey

You might want to consider to prepare your own snacks in order to safe some money

bake muffins

Look up muffin recipes on your favorite blogs, bake on the weekends and freeze. Parchment paper will keep them neatly separated in your freezer bags. Pack in the morning, by the time snack time rolls around they will be thawed and ready to enjoy.

snack plate to go

mix your very own trail-mix

I like dried fruits, chocolate squares, cookies, cereal, granola clusters, crackers, nuts you name it. Prepare little containers or zip-lock bags on the weekends. Dehydrating your own fruit will safe even more money!

apples all the way

The only piece of fresh fruit I personally will carry around in my school bag (whole or sliced). 100% mush- and leak-free :) for fresh veggies it´s usually carrot sticks. Maybe boring but  I´d rather not have a mess in my bag. Prepare in the evening and store in the fridge.

baked squash or sweet potatoes

Filling and perfectly delicious. Dice pre baking. Prepare in the evening (with your dinner) and keep in a container in the refrigerator, lid only loosely closed with a paper kitchen towel to soak up moisture. Throw away the paper towel in the morning ;)

I always feel PB&Js and (B)LTs (sub your fave protein) are kind of messy. Wraps are rather forgiving. But be careful to not overstuff!

I like nut butters and very thinly sliced fresh fruit for the sweet option. For the savory I prefer mashed beans or sliced tofu, a few lettuce leaves for the crunch and maybe some mustard or hummus. Simple but again, clean to eat :) Prepare in the evening. Wrap twice in tin foil and store in the fridge.

Other things to take would be

(soy) puddings (will still taste good at room temperature, whereas yogurt won´t)

homemade granola bars (look up recipes)

oats in a jar (this is delicious!!).

As I said in the beginning, these are things I personally think are most convenient. I´d love to hear your personal favorites!!

Have a lovely week you all!

xoxo Mel

1 Alexandra October 16, 2011 at 8:17 am

Love this post and love both of you!! :) Hope your race went well yesterday Tessa, the suspense is killing me!!
Alexandra recently posted..Progress and New Routine!

2 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 16, 2011 at 9:07 am

Great post! Heading over to your blog now! And I can’t wait for the race recaps :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Tofu Pumpkin Pie….with Gingersnap crust

3 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 16, 2011 at 9:56 am

Awesome post, I love these ideas!!
Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles recently posted..Biggie Pumpkin Cranberry Muffin

4 Melissa October 16, 2011 at 10:30 am

Thank you :) hope the race went well!! Can’t wait to hear all about it! And looking forward to your WIAW, too of course. But be sure to get enough rest this week!

xoxo Mel
Melissa recently posted..Holy yumm, flap my oatjack

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 16, 2011 at 10:55 am

I just posted about my travel snack ideas too! I agree with you one apples, though I will take bananas and be verrrry careful to keep them in the top of my bag.

Tessa – congrats on the race! I just read Cait’s recap and it sounds like you had a good race as well. :)
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Have Food, Will Travel

6 Khushboo Thadani October 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Great ideas! I remember seeing a banana guard in the store over the summer and wondered who would actually buy one…now that I think about it, it’s pretty genius!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..*Insert* witty title

7 Ragnhild October 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I will be missing your wonderful posts Tessa!! Good luck with your exames! Cant wait to hear how you did!
That being said: Great guest post! These photos are beautiful! My favorit snack-to-go is homemade trail mix. Today I brought a really good one to work: driend mango, raisins, cashews, walnuts and my very own chocolate :D It was delicious! And made my day at work happyhappy:)
Wish both of you a wonderful Sunday :)
Ragnhild recently posted..16.10

8 Leila @ Spinach and Skittles October 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I always say I am going to make my own trail mix, but then I never do. Maybe I’ll finally get in the groove this week :)
Leila @ Spinach and Skittles recently posted..How pinteresting: recreating curly hair

9 jenandberries October 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Agree, apples are the handiest fruits ever. Your fruit wrap looks yummy as fudge too! Thanks for guest posting Melissa, I’ll be sure to check out your blog.

10 Kiah October 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Wow, (Tessa’s right!) beautiful pics Mel! Packing lunch is big for me, as I commute to school, and often spend 12+ hours there. I tend to make a big stir fry over the weekend, and actually separate it into containers on Sunday night. I’m so appreciative of even having my food partially prepped once the busy work week starts!
Kiah recently posted..how it came to be, part four

11 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Good luck on your exams, Tess!

Great post! Can’t wait to check out your blog! Beautiful pics and great tips!
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..When Life Hands You Lemons…

12 Tara October 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Hey Melissa! I LOVE the idea of a portable snack plate – never thought of that! I have to say I’m addicted to snack bars and I could probably save myself a nice chunk of money if I tried some of these out. Thanks for sharing. I love your pictures btw!!
Tara recently posted..Q&A Part 5

13 Liz @ Southern Charm October 16, 2011 at 9:54 pm

What great ideas! Loving this post!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Flaws Are Gorgeous

14 Isabelle October 17, 2011 at 4:50 am

I hope your race went well Tessa! Can’t wait to read the recap.

Great Ideas Melissa! Love the potable snack plates and prepping your own trail mix :)
Isabelle recently posted..Sunday Day of Rest…Well Kind of!

15 Nikki October 17, 2011 at 8:32 am

Great ideas! I can’t wait to try some of them! :)
Nikki recently posted..Windy Weekend

16 LightOnMyFeet October 17, 2011 at 11:27 am

Great guest post & beautiful pictures!
LightOnMyFeet recently posted..Succulent Sundays~1