It’s The Little Things

by tessa8m on February 3, 2012

in Friday Favorites

Good evening friends!

Late post coming at you tonight… I have been crazy busy the entire day, but all good stuff! I had work from at the clinic from 8:30-2:30, and then a doctor’s appointment at 3:15 (more about that later in this post), a fantastic Cardio Kick class at 5:00 until 6:15, and other various errands and shenanigans thrown in there.

Let’s get right into the post mmkay? Today is essentially a “Friday Favorites” post but with a bit of a twist. I am going to focus on the “little things” that have been helping to bring a bit of delight, understanding and joy into my life.

1) A plan helps to easy my anxiety, although it is not always possible to create one. This is pretty obvious and true for most people, but hear me out.

This week has been packed full of plans, various places I need to be, meetings, classes, workouts… busy busy busy. But honestly, it really is alright. First of all, I am staying involved with things I have a genuine interest in- my internship, the Capstone class I am presenting my internship in, one of my nutrition classes, the blog, and other RA related activities. And second, when I am committing myself to requirements that actually spark my interest, I find that my anxiety levels decline and I am able to bring my mind to a more restful place.

Earlier this week I mentioned how on Saturday I was experiencing a “blah” day. I still am unsure of exactly the reasons behind my mood, but I know it had something to do with the lack of structure on my schedule. It was a weekend day, a time I should take to relax, get organized, read, do whatever I want pretty much, yet I find myself the most anxious on days like that. That particular Saturday, I kept trying to finish off various tasks that needed attention- cleaning, writing papers, blogging, etc.

However, I could not get myself to focus on one task and I felt as if I was in a frenzy the entire day… eventually leading to my rather sour mood later on. I am understanding that if I had simply wrote down a “to-do” list and then finished one activity before moving onto the next, I would have been much more productive that day and not as well… crazy. When I don’t have a firm hold over my activities, or my exact plan for the day, I turn into an anxious, irrational lady.

The ability to plan and organize are two fantastic qualities a person can have. Unfortunately, everything in life can not be structured and scheduled, and “going with the flow” is necessary sometimes. This is something I need to consciously work on as I have a very difficult time handling when I am feeling out of control. I know this is part of the core of my eating disorder and realizing this gives me a sense of relief, as I am consciously ready to tackle this side of my personality.

2) I saw this post-it note in the bathroom just yesterday as I was leaving lunch…

What perfect timing it was to see this note too! I chose to challenge myself at lunch that day and tried my best to enjoy some soft-serve vanilla ice cream with Reeses Pieces on top for a dessert. I saw two girls in the dining hall eating some soft serve at the table near me, and I thought “why can’t I have some too?”

This was my choice of course, no one was forcing me to, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t experience some serious guilt after (and the usual internal battle that takes place)-

• Ice cream in the middle of the day?! What was I thinking… I will have to skip dessert tonight. But Tessa remember, these are choices that help to normalize your relationship with food and also progress in recovery! Yeah but… sugary, fatty ice cream, ugh!
  • I should not have given in. I am usually so “good” at restricting and depriving myself of what I want… I did not enjoy the feeling of weakness associated with this challenge.
  • And the classic- I am a fatty who eats ice cream in the middle of the day.

This small, 9 word note aided in granting me a reality check and pulling myself out of my head. Thank you to whoever left that.

3) Seinfeld.

I am aware this show has been on for ages, but honestly, I still freakin love it! When new episodes were being produced, I was too young to understand or find any humor in them at all. In fact, since we only had one TV in my house, I would dread the times it was on, because I thought it was the most boring show ever!

YouTube Preview Image

Oh how wrong I was. Now that I can appreciate the humor, it is between the hours of 7 and 8 that add a lovely amount of delight and laughter to my day. I pretty much watch two episodes every day, and it’s glorious :)

4) Random Pinterest pins that give me a chuckle!

5) A workout I did earlier this week that has left me sore for two days now… going on three tomorrow!

This is a circuit-style workout, one I created on my own, but also with Lindsay’s FLOW idea in mind!

Not going to lie, this is pretty intense, and I won’t be attempting it again for at least a week! Also I can’t say there is any real rhyme or reason to this- it just hurts you a lot, in a good way of course ;)

Full-Body Burpee Doom Workout

(rest for 15 seconds in between each exercise and rest for ONE MINUTE after each round. Notice how each number on the exercises decrease after each round.)

Round 1

• 5 full burpees (that means with a pushup!), followed by 5 upright rows with DBs (I used 15 pds)- repeat this FIVE times for a total of 25 burpees and 25 rows
  • Backward lunge with bicep burl (I used 15 pd DBs)- switch legs each time for a total of 24 lunges
  • Up and down elbow plank- complete until failure
  • V-ups- 20 total

Round 2

• 4 full burpees (that means with a pushup!), followed by 4 upright rows with DBs (I used 15 pds)- repeat this FOUR times for a total of 20 burpees and 20 rows
  • Backward lunge with bicep burl (I used 15 pd DBs)- switch legs each time for a total of 20 lunges
  • Up and down elbow plank- complete until failure
  • V-ups- 15 total

Round 3 (are you seeing the pattern?)

• 3 full burpees (that means with a pushup!), followed by 3 upright rows with DBs (I used 15 pds)- repeat this THREE times for a total of 15 burpees and 15 rows
  • Backward lunge with bicep burl (I used 15 pd DBs)- switch legs each time for a total of 16 lunges
  • Up and down elbow plank- complete until failure
  • V-ups- 12 total

Round 4 (you know what’s coming!)

• 2 full burpees (that means with a pushup!), followed by 2 upright rows with DBs (I used 15 pds)- repeat this TWO times for a total of 10 burpees and 10 rows
  • Backward lunge with bicep burl (I used 15 pd DBs)- switch legs each time for a total of 12 lunges
  • Up and down elbow plank- complete until failure
  • V-ups- 10 total

Round 5 (last one!)

• 1 full burpee (that means with a pushup!), followed by 1 upright row with DBs (I used 15 pds)- repeat this ONE time for a total of 5 burpees and 5 rows
  • Backward lunge with bicep burl (I used 15 pd DBs)- switch legs each time for a total of 8 lunges
  • Up and down elbow plank- complete until failure
  • V-ups- 8 total

Done: stretch stretch stretch! I hope you are not counting on using your shoulders or legs after you do this… because you won’t be able to!

6) After working out, I feel it’s reasonable to transition right into a chocolate dessert! I made these just before I left for school but never shared the recipe! They were made with a newly purchased mini cupcake pan, so plan on seeing a whole bunch of mini desserts next time I am home :)

Mini Brownie Tarts

Ingredients for tarts:

• 1/2 c. butter, room temperature
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 tsp Almond Extract (you can use vanilla but I really enjoyed this new flavor!)
Mix together as pie crust. Press into mini muffin pans (will make 24).
Filling:
  • 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1 tbsp. milk
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 beaten egg
-Melt the chocolate chips on medium low heat, remove from heat and mix together remaining filling ingredients with the chocolate.
-Plop (such a technical term) a tablespoon of filling on each tart and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Once out of the oven, place a few extra chocolate chips on the warm brownie (optional).

Delish! And anything mini tastier and cute if you ask me :)

7) My Nutrition Class

It seems I am on Eating Disorder overload this semester because I am taking a nutrition class on… yep you guessed it, Eating Disorders! As I told you in my post on Monday, I am quite passionate about this subject for several reasons, and the main one is I want to understand more about EDs and why it happened to me.. why it nearly destroyed my life and how. More on this later as the semester unfolds!

8) On that note… I went to the doctor’s today for a follow up appointment on some blood work and other tests I had done. Both good and bad new to report:

• Bad- Iron levels are still significantly too low. I am upping my iron intake again and seeing if that makes a difference. We also discussed ways I could possibly be hindering the absorption, so we worked on some strategies to counteract that. I am still fatigued beyond all reason, so at least I continue to know why.
  • Good- I had a bone density test done and guess what y’all, normal bone density for this girl! That was such a relief to hear as both my doctor and I worried my bones were now in jeopardy after not having a period for the last two or so years. Phew (for now).

And there you are dears! It’s the little things like those displayed in this post that added delight to my day, or helped to turn things around when I was or am feeling less than stellar.

I would love to hear from you,

-Are you a major planner like me? Are you good at “going with the flow?” <— No for me, working on this of course and something I am currently exploring in relation to my disordered eating.

-Do you desserts at lunch, or do you try and “save” them for later in the day? The last time I had something like this was on my birthday… both occassions I felt tremendously guilty. Working on this as well!

-Are you a Seinfeld fan?! Or are there any shows you used to hate, but now enjoy?

-Tell me about your best workout this week! The burpee one for me!

-What are your plans for the weekend… and for the superbowl?! Go PATS :D

Oh heyyyyyy ;)

Have a great weekend!

1 Alexandra February 3, 2012 at 9:56 pm

That mirror post-it is amazing, I love seeing those! It sounds like so much good is going on for you– conquering a fear with the soft serve challenge, good bone density, yummy baking creations, killer workouts, and happiness! :D Hope your weekend is filled with even more awesomeness and relaxation!
Alexandra recently posted..Ten Things Thursday

2 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Thanks pretty lady, I hope you are having a great weekend as well!

3 ash @ http://peacehappinessyoga.blogspot.com/ February 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm
4 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thank you Ash!

5 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions February 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Man oh man, I am a planner to the nth degree. I live and die by my planner. Saturdays for some reason are super plan-y days…I write out a list on Friday night of literally everything I plan on doing on Saturday (we’re talking breakfast, work out, shower, go grocery shopping…if I plan on doing it, it’s on the list). Unfortunately I always get very ambitious with these lists, which leads to inevitable disappointment/crap-Sunday’s-gonna-suck-again feelings, but whatever.

I’m very back and forth about desserts. Basically, if I feel like I need something sweet at the end of a meal, I’ll have it. If I don’t, my body doesn’t accept that the meal is over and I stay freakishly hungry, which is not one of my favorite feelings ever. Usually at school all I need is a handful of granola and I’m good to go (that’s also pretty much all I have available), but at home I always have a cookie (or two…usually not three unless it’s Christmas and there are just so many options that I feel it would be wrong of me to discriminate…haha) after lunch and generally ice cream after dinner. That’s how it always was growing up, so I still do that when I’m at home. It feels wrong to do anything else haha.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Pasta Bake with Peanut Sauce

6 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:39 pm

That is what happens to me to with lists… I feel bad about falling short of everything I hope to do! Oh and wow Bethany, we are so similar on the dessert/sweet issue too! I feel like I need something at the end of my meal or else I can’t feel satisfied. I think if that works for you that is wonderful.. maybe I should consider that it might work for me too :)

7 Ali Mc February 3, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I love that post-it note and I love Seinfeld….I watch it every night….like right now ;) hahaha and yet another amazing asset recipe that I MUST try
:) hope your work load/life gets less busy too…..we love every day posts!!!
Ali Mc recently posted..The Four Agreements

8 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Haha I could NEVER do every day posts! Some posts take me up to 3 or 4 hours to write!

9 caloricandcrazy February 3, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I am a supper planner as well! I HAVE to have things organized to the smallest of details, haha. That is good timing for the note to appear! It’s nice to find some random thing that just makes your day <3
caloricandcrazy recently posted..Snapea Crisps Review and Giveaway

10 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 3, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Hi Girl! Very nice post!
We are very similar because I too am a huge planner. I need to know exactly what is going on at all times, where I will be going, what time I need to get there by and with who I am going to be with. It can be good at times because I am very punctual and always on time, but other times being like this seriously gets in the way of my life! I hate to put myself in the “control freak” category, but that really is a perfect way to describe my habits at times. It’s something I am trying to work at, but for some reason its really hard for me to go with the flow, not worry and overall just act “chill”. Sometimes I think way too much about something (work, life, family etc…) and I literally make myself sick! No bueno!

Well anyways GO PATS! I am going to be watching the game with my family while indulging in probably way too many treats! They better win! :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..FLOW “The 100 Workout”

11 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm

No bueno indeed but I am the same way sometimes! I believe that understanding and recognizing this is essential though, and we are doing both of those things!

12 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm

so excited to try that workout!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Fitness Friday 8

13 Hollie@lolzthatswim February 3, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I’m so proud of you girl. I am the same way about staying busy with things I enjoy. It just makes me feel fulfilling and when I enjoy it-it isn’t something I feel chored to do.

Have a lovely relaxing weekend girl-You deserve it!
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Friday Favorites: Nike Frees Review

14 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 3, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I am a huge planner which can be both good and bad! I am a very goal oriented person, but it can be hard sometimes to adjust when something comes up that can take me down a path I wasn’t expecting.
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Go Lean

15 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Exactly… but I do want to get better at this!

16 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 3, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Love the post on the mirror!! That is awesome. And damn girl, that workout looks insane. I’m going to remember to do that one. Burpees can be the death of me, but I also kind of love them haha. There are some things that I feel like I need to have control over, and others that I could care less about- I have no idea why! I hope you have an amazing weekend girl! And even though things are busy for you, I’m glad they are going so well :)
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Fitness Loves of the Week

17 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie February 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I am obsessed with Seinfeld! It always gives me a good laugh and my mom’s a big fan too, so we’re always quoting the episodes!

I don’t usually feel okay with having a dessert at any other time other than for an afternoon snack or as an actual dessert. I do have something sweet with every meal but it’s usually just fruit. I do enjoy going out for froyo or gelato for an afternoon treat, though, but I would like to work on feeling okay with ‘indulging’ at other times!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..WIAW: The One With the New Products

18 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Me too Ashley, and all we can do is put the effort in and challenge ourselves :)

19 Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 3, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Seinfeld is amazing!!! Best show ever. :) I love it when people leave little pick-me-ups around, they have those at my church sometimes saying stuff like “you are beautiful just the way you are”. Makes me so happy. If you’re allowed to, you should please share with us some of your information from your ED class because I am curious as to what causes EDs!
Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee recently posted..Gotta get down on Saturday.

20 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Aww that is so nice! And I sure will Maria!

21 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 3, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Seriously that post it note is awesome. I want to do that next week and hopefully brighten someone else’s day :) Yay congrats on good test results!!! I hope you get the other one figured out asap!

22 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I think I will pass on the good deed too!

23 Vien @ We Dare Food February 3, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Woohoo!! I just had ice-cream too! Bless that person for leaving such a lovely reminder! :)
Great to hear that your bones are fine! :D I’m pretty worried about mine- a harsh reminder of the terrible things I put my body through :( But the dr put me on some birth control pills which helps (apparently) *fingers crossed* :)
Vien @ We Dare Food recently posted..Sugar Rush

24 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm

It definitely is supposed to help! Keep us updated if you would like to on that!

25 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 3, 2012 at 11:42 pm

loved this post and your positivity in it! it truly is the little things that brighten up life. :) that sticky note on the mirror is SO awesome! that would’ve made my day for sure. and dang girl, that workout looks intense but awesome!! i did a lower body workout on wednesday that kicked my a$$ literally… my glutes, hamstrings, and quads are the sorest they’ve been since i can remember! lots of squats, lunges, and deadlifts will do that i guess! have an awesome weekend girly!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..My New Favorite Easy Peasy Meal Idea

26 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Ahh all of those exercises will certainly leave you hurting! I hope you are having a great weekend too Ashley :)

27 Katherine February 4, 2012 at 12:01 am

I don’t always eat dessert at lunch, but if I’m craving something sweet, I’ll have a square of chocolate or a small cookie. It’s a habit that I picked up from my mom – she always has chocolate in her purse.
I’m definitely a planner as well, and “going with the flow” is definitely not one of my strong suits. I’m working on it, though!

28 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Maybe a small piece of chocolate or something like that would help me out too at the end of a meal…. I always feel like I need something sweet!

29 Ashley Pomes February 4, 2012 at 12:03 am

I love that mirror post! what a great thing to brighten up someone day. That sounds like a great workout. I think I might try this in the near future. Congratulations that you conquered your fear of soft serve!
-I am a major planner like you. I plan so much of my life. I am not good at going with the flow. I try but it is hard. My friends get annoyed sometimes. I even scheduled bathroom time at a music festival for us.
-I wish I could have desserts at lunch but I am guilty of trying to “save” them for later in the day. another work in progress for myself.
-I love Seinfeld! I am a huge fan. I own all the seasons on DVD and watch them all the time.
-My best workout this week was my spin class. My instructor added some new moves in and we were out of the saddle for about 30 min it was great. She also added some new music to really get us going.
-This weekend I am seeing my cousin and of course watching the Superbowl but I am going to have to disagree with you here and say GO GIANTS! hehe have a great weekend :)
Ashley Pomes recently posted..WIAW #13

30 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:36 pm

It’s all about being conscious of things we need to work on and then acting on that. Keep up the great work in that area Ashley! So glad you enjoyed a fabulous spin class as well! Those are so worth it when the instructor is awesome
And BOO on the Giants haha ;)

31 Khushboo February 4, 2012 at 1:30 am

I’m a major planner too but I’ve finally realised that it’s not a bad things when life doesn’t go as planned! That workout sounds killer- burpees and lunges are sure to leave you sore! The best workouts of my week was an HIIT run on Thursday and Lower Body workout on Friday- I increased my weights for all exercises and boy did I feel it this morning!
Khushboo recently posted..Friday Favorite: Sunwarrior

32 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Great job this week on the workouts! You know you are progressing when you up the weights :)

33 lindsay February 4, 2012 at 1:33 am

those little things add up to one fabulous day! look at all you are doing and accomplishing, just awesome! love the workout and the new nutrition class. I think every college girl needs that.
;)
lindsay recently posted..Cotter Confessions

34 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I agree Lindsay and thank you :)

35 Tara February 4, 2012 at 7:20 am

I actually handle random desserts in the middle of the day pretty well! I always used to struggle when someone would suggest a dessert after dinner… when either I had already had “too many calories” (but not really!) or I was afraid of eating too close to bed. Seeing that note definitely would have helped me though, and now I think I might go do that somewhere!! Love it!
Tara recently posted..Nothing to do, Nowhere to go!

36 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I love hearing about all of the progress you have made… it never ceases to give me a kick in the butt to get more motivated!

37 Allie February 4, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’m so happy to hear that your bones are doing good! I’m sure you can get your iron levels up. I think it is much easier to get iron levels up vs. increasing bone density, so that’s good!!
Allie recently posted..January check in!

38 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Very good point Allie! It’s important to focus on the positive things in all of this :)

39 Turtle-speed Runner February 4, 2012 at 7:43 am

Wow that workout looks intense! Any workout with burpees = death, if you ask me, haha… and I love the name of it ;)
Yep, I’m a big planner, and struggle to completely relax and go with the flow… I just get nothing done that way. It’s why I’m major struggling with four months off uni, and regretting not getting a summer job.
YAY for having great bone density!! Sucks the iron situation is not getting better, though. I was just going to post and ask you about that too!
Turtle-speed Runner recently posted..New exercise plan

40 Kaitlyn February 4, 2012 at 8:28 am

Oh my goodness, I am SUCH a planner! Too much, probably. I love (I nEED) to plan ahead for almost everything. But, like you, I’m realizing that is definitely not always possible. It’s HARD! It’s definitely very hard for me to just go with the flow….but I’m working on it :)
As for TV shows, I looooove Friends.

Have a WONDERFUL weekend, Tessa!
Kaitlyn recently posted..Indulging in your sweet tooth and the Pros of planning ahead!

41 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

That is all you can do Kaitlyn, work on it! Glad to hear that you are :)

42 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! February 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

That workout sounds awesome!!! I definitely want to try that out!!!
Kaila @healthyhelperblog! recently posted..WINNING (for the third time)

43 Sarah February 4, 2012 at 9:10 am

I’m the same way with planning! I love structure so when it’s not there I have no idea what to do with myself.. not a fan!
Sarah recently posted..Mouthful

44 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 4, 2012 at 9:36 am

I am DEFINITELY a planner & hate when a wrench gets thrown into my plans! Like this morning… I wanted to get up early & go to the gym which didn’t happen & now I feel like my whole schedule is thrown off!

I love Seinfeld! I didn’t watch it when it was on, but my husband had me watch the entire season on DVD with him!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Friday Favorites, Winter Beauty Products

45 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Boo I hope your day was able to go well despite the change in plans! I can so relate to this Erica!

46 Pamela February 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

I love the post-it note! It reminds me of how there would often be similar positive messages and notes on the bathroom mirrors when I was in college! Something little to brighten your day! :) I am also a planner, and I love Seinfeld!
Pamela recently posted..Picture A Day – Feb. 2 & 3

47 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I think it’s time I start to leave these notes around too!

48 Sable@SquatLikeALady February 4, 2012 at 10:50 am

Yeah PATS!!! =D

I used to be a super planner and in SOME aspects of my life I still am… I’m still very much crazy-organized when it comes to daily activities like work & figuring out when to get errands done, etc., but I’ve really loosened up just because being so committed to my ‘plans’ was becoming a source of anxiety for me.

49 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm

So true… trying to hang onto control makes me even more anxious! Thanks for the reminder to calm down a bit sometimes

50 Amy Lauren February 4, 2012 at 11:41 am

I love the post it note in the mirror! One of my friends at work used to do those, but she moved, so no one does them now (I guess everyone knows it was her now, too). I’ve never actually seen one that someone else did besides how Jamie was doing them at work. So it’s neat that people at your school do that :).

I’m glad your bone density test went well! It took 6 months for my iron levels to get back up with my bout with anemia (my hemoglobin was 7.3). I took a supplement called Bifera and it really worked for me, so if you are looking for a new idea that may help, it’s one of the better ones on the market right now but it’s new.

That workout reminds me of some of the stuff you do in CrossFit, with the reps decreasing as the workout goes on, etc. Supposedly it’s a great way to challenge your muscles and after being so sore I can definitely believe it. Sometimes when I’ve done CrossFit I would be sore for DAYS too!

I am definitely a planner! I like to know what’s going on and have everything organized, etc. I try to go with the flow more but it’s so hard sometimes!
Amy Lauren recently posted..Five Question Friday and Fun Times at the Office!

51 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I will definitely take note of that iron supplement.. thank you for the suggestion Amy!

52 Amy Lauren February 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm

The doc who put me on it was an OBGYN who sees a lot of women who are iron deficient due to pregnancy. I changed docs, and my new doc hadn’t heard of it (this was 2010). Within a month of taking it, my hemoglobin went from 7.3 (btw, most places transfuse at 7) to 9.1. It’s in the normal range now, and I still take supps a few times a week. Bifera is the real deal though, definitely works better especially when we lose iron through things like running (and yeah, apparently you can lose it through sweat and foot impact).
Amy Lauren recently posted..Five Question Friday and Fun Times at the Office!

53 Krystie February 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Yayy for good bone density!! I love when people leave sticky notes especially at the gym, they make my day! I’m glad you challenged yourself you deserve it! Have a great weekend Tessa :)

54 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Thank you Krystie! I hope you have a great weekend as well :)

55 Melissa @TryingtoHeal February 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Ah, I’m glad that post it came at such a good time and that you were able to enjoy that froyo with the toppings! Yay!

And that workout sounds intense! I love doing Bobbi’s Twenty Min Tuesdays from her blog; they always leave me dripping in sweat!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Healing by diana@mymarblerye

56 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I used to read her blog all of the time! I ought to take a look at it once again!

57 Chelcie @ Chelcies Food Files February 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

that work out looks awesome I can’t wait to try it!
Chelcie @ Chelcies Food Files recently posted..Cutest Puppy Ever + Blog Survey

58 Kate @ Chasing It February 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Awww the mirror notes!! I was part of a student organization in college that focused on promoting ED awareness and healthy body image, and we would write messages like that to leave in bathroom mirrors every year during NEDAW (next week!) I’d never actually met anyone that’d found & appreciated them though, so it is really cool to hear about you finding one at your school – I guess little things like that can really help a bad day turn around :) and OMGGG those mini brownie tarts look incredible!! brownie in pie form? don’t mind if I do :-D and YESSS SUPERBOWL!!!!! I too am a pats fan!!! :-D
Kate @ Chasing It recently posted..Friday Awesomeness

59 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Aww that is so wonderful you did that! I think I will be dropping those around campus now too :)

60 Paulina (One Smile Ahead) February 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

The workout sounds awesome! I absolutely love burpees :D I’m such a planner too. I’m trying to get out of that mindset because I feel so much more relaxed when everything is not planned to the last minute, but I don’t like being totally disorganized either. The note on the bathroom mirror is so sweet! Good job on challenging yourself! :]
Paulina (One Smile Ahead) recently posted..Lazy Cooker

61 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Thank you Paulina! The note was my mental savior that day!

62 Alexis February 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I love those mirror post-it notes but I never see one around.. maybe I should leave one for someone else to see :)

I am a HUGE planner. It eases my anxiety but I always try to remember even though plan A might not work there are 25 other letters to follow up :).

And I get what you mean about punishing yourself for having dessert in the middle of the day. I still do that, from time to time but I really do enjoy saving my dessert for the end of the day. I know if I do eat it in the middle of the day i probably won’t be able to control myself for the rest of the day…. but maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing haha
Alexis recently posted..Egg white shake

63 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I think I shall leave one for someone too! It did make such a great difference :) And yeah, maybe not a bad thing indeed.. we just have to get over the guilt!

64 meg February 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Aw sorry you are still dealing with low iron girl. I’m actually reading Brendan Brazier’s book “thrive – the vegan nutrition guide for optimal performance in sports and life” and he has a great section on foods and their benefits for us. For iron he recommends sea vegetables like dulse, nori, & kelp (i guess you get these at whole foods type places im not sure), pumpkin seeds, amaranth (a grain), quinoa, and chlorella. I know some of that stuff is random but I know at least at trader joe’s you can get these sea vegetable snack cracker things, pumpkin seeds and quinoa.

65 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for the advice Meg! I am actually planning on going TJs today and I shall be looking for these items!

66 Living, Learning, Eating February 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm

YAY YOU! So proud of your soft serve and reese’s pieces choice. If you’re ever in Harvard Square, we should get JP Licks – in the middle of the day. :) Yay for your bones! Now make Mother Nature give you your present back. :P
Living, Learning, Eating recently posted..Fashion Disaster Alert! AKA, a healthy snack and a healthy laugh

67 Kristi @ Sweetly Fit February 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I had to double check and make sure you weren’t writing this post about me. Haha, i deal with the exact same problems. Anxiety has been high lately with so many things to do, and I just get so overwhelmed so easily. It’s frustrating at times, I feel ya. Lists really help me but at the same time, I want to focus on just letting go and embracing have no plans at all. Sometimes it’s successful, sometimes not so much…but at least I’m making an effort and it’s all a work in progress anyways. Thanks for the post girlie, it’s nice to know i’m not the only one. :)
Kristi @ Sweetly Fit recently posted..Home Workout Challenge Giveaway Winner

68 sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) February 4, 2012 at 4:43 pm

that workout sounds tough, I must admit even trying to do one burpee sends shivers down me lol, i prefer squats:p really glad to hear your bones are okay.my last bone scan wasn’t good at all, have osteoperosis, one motivation to push forward in recoevry although at the time even that didn’t scare me, thats what scary about the ed even when your physically poorly the thoughts still get loud. do you have your period now? I’m thinking of going on birth control pills so I can get some oestrogen back.

69 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I don’t have my period yet… sigh. I am so incredibly frustrated by this too and it’s something I plan to talk about again soon

70 Colleen February 4, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I am soooo glad your bone density test is ok. This is a total “duh”, but your bones are so important to having a fulfilling life. Take care of them!!! Take and consume calcium daily. (for-yo is a great source!!). My bone scan from this summer came back as osteopenia, which i assumed I had going into the scan. I take Ca pills daily and know that all my plyometric exercises help them remain strong. You’ve got to get your period back–as do I. However, I have many medical reasons why I’ll prob never have 1 again. Can you get a bc pill and see if that will “jump start” you?!
I actually did a “challenge” in my bootcamp class this morning similar to your burpee w/o. I named it the Burpee Bar. It was great and members were cussing me!

71 Natasha February 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Hmm those brownie tarts look amazing!!!
I wouldn’t worry about saving dessert for dinner or whenever! If you want it, enjoy it :)
That workout looks awesome – I LOVE IT!
I’ll def have to give it a try.
Lately I’ve been loving the 30 day challenge workouts from bodyrock! They are awesome
Natasha recently posted..So I’ve been MIA

72 tessa8m February 4, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I did a few of those too last month…. so tough but awesome!

73 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza February 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

That’s great about the bone density test! yay!

As for the iron, I’ve had low levels before and what helps me is to eat a lot of iron-rich foods, including spinach and broccoli which I blend up in a smoothie every morning before breakfast. I also include a form of vitamin C with it, like an orange, as that can help absorption. I also use “Alive” multi vitamins with iron and I love them. They have enough iron but are gentle on my stomach. I also use Amazing Grass superfood powder, which has iron and other vitamins/minerals/antioxidants and blend that up in my smoothies.

I can tell a BIG difference when I am really good about eating iron-rich foods and being consistent with supplements. Also, not overexercising (especially cardio) seems to help. When I do too much, that just adds to the fatigue.

Enjoy your weekend!
Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza recently posted..What I Learned From Being Injured

74 X February 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm

i have zero focus tessa..i’m so unproductive..during the day nothing…during the night just tv and computer..i have zero focus…and my career is in the tubes..i am 30 years old and have no idea what i will do for money in future when i have so much debt…work at a store? i will be so unhappy and unable to pay my loans…i’m lost and need a life coach :( want to be mine?…so lost

75 X February 4, 2012 at 10:26 pm

dark chocolate has iron

and i eat a lot of that…

76 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

I love having a plan to help me through busy times – it helps my stress levels so much to just have a checklist in front of it and be able to check things off as I go. It helps to reassure me that I WILL get everything done.

Also that is so awesome that you came across that note at school! I see them every so often too and they always MAKE my day. I’m so happy for you that you were inspired by that note enough to face a fear food. Good for you hun! I bet that ice cream tasted awesome. :D

I hope the rest of your weekend was/is filled with an many awesome things as Friday! <3
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Sushi, spinning, and studying

77 Alaina February 5, 2012 at 8:19 am

What an awesome post it! That would certainly brighten my day too.

LOVE Seinfeld! Every little thing in life, my mom can relate to an episode of Seinfeld. We’ll never look at bisque the same way again. :-)

I definitely love to plan. I have a calender, planner and an iPod with a notes app. It helps me to be prepared. I feel more in control.

Go Patriots!!
Alaina recently posted..RunHundred: Top 10 Workout Songs for February

78 Alex A February 5, 2012 at 8:49 am

loved the post Tessa! and i’m trying that workout sometime soon….as soon as i’m done being sore from my 8 mile run yesterday! i’m running t 10 miler in town at the end of feb on my BIRTHDAYYY you should join!!

-your friendly neighborhood previous sophomore year neighbor!

79 tessa8m February 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Woooooo yay I love that you stopped by!! I haven’t done a long run in quite some time because of my poop iron levels… but if they are back up by then and I am okay to, I will definitely run that race! It’s in Amherst?

80 Alex A February 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm

sorry to hear about your iron levels…i’ve struggled with anemia for wayyyy too long and know it can suck! If your mileage is back up, definitely look into it!!! It starts at Amherst HS!

81 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats February 5, 2012 at 9:24 am

Like you, I like to plan everything, and I’ll be honest, it does get frustrating when things don’t go “according to plan,” but I try to remember that the curveballs life throws at you aren’t always bad things. It helps me to take a few breaths and tell myself that everything will be ok in the end! Also, that workout would definitely leave me sore for a few days, too!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Homemade Coconut Cupcakes

82 Qi Ting @ A Dessert Diet February 5, 2012 at 9:40 am

Great job with that soft serve! I love it with chopped peanuts and chocolate rice. Amazing :D As for desserts, I love them so much I sometimes have them for lunch or dinner (so that I can have like 3 slices of cake…)
I do plan, but only vague planning, like what I’m going to bake/study tomorrow and that’s it. It sort of helps.:D
Qi Ting @ A Dessert Diet recently posted..Failed Macarons– Round 3

83 Natalie @Will Jog For Food February 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

That workout looks intense!!! Nice :)

I LOVE Seinfeld! It has to be one of the all time best shows. Even if it’s an episode I’ve seen a dozen times, I just can’t get enough.
Natalie @Will Jog For Food recently posted..Food Fact Friday: Carrot Cake

84 Kathryn @ Flopoodle February 5, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Congratulations on the bone density results! That is so awesome and must be a huge relief. I would be really interested in hearing more about how you are increasing iron absorption, too!
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..A Busy Saturday