Friday Favorites- Food Focus

by tessa8m on February 10, 2012

in Friday Favorites

Ahoy there and Happy Friday… so many F’s in the title, my perfectionist self loves this :)

Once again (like last week) I find myself posting quite late this evening… the day has gotten away from me! I was at my internship until 2:30, completed some errands, went to the gym, took a nap, had dinner, and now I am sitting in my building’s cluster office until 2 am! Yes friends, I am “on duty” tonight which basically entails making sure no one parties too hard and dies in the building.

It is a time to be productive as possible though- post right now, writing my abstract for my final Capstone project on eating disorders, making another collage (I have major magazine build up overload), and catching up on the Bachelor… which I missed on Monday and still have not had a chance to watch! So sad I know ;)

As I have mentioned a number of times on my blog, I prefer to keep things more cherrful on Fridays. It’s a breath of fresh air and a nice change to focus on random aspects and things that I feel are worth discussing…. for whatever reason. So let’s get to it!

1) We all know that Pinterst is a joyous site… no need to dwell on it’s awesomeness. However, I do have to mention it now as it has given me so much help this week!

It helped me out so much with this hairstyle! A nice change for my hair and also great to get my bangs out of my face once in a while!

I am also going to my dad’s house on Sunday for an early dinner and am ready to get my cooking and baking on… I plan to make this for a side dish:

Quinoa with Mushrooms, Kale, and Sweet Potatoes (from Pinterest)

… and of course some sort of decadent baked good. Not sure of that one yet though, so stay tuned :)

On that note, the next Friday Favorite has to do with food as well!

2) In addition to the White Chocolate Brownies I made for the Superbowl, I also baked up these cookie bar delicious things,

These turned out excellently, and were so easy as well because I started with a cake mix. Although it’s nearly impossible to bake from scratch while at school, starting with a pre-packaged mix makes things far easier and much less stressful!

Cake Mix Caramel Bars

Ingredients:

• 1 package of yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
  • 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used a mix of pecans and walnuts)
  • 36 Rolo Candies, halved

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, milk and butter until blended. Stir in the nuts. Press half of mixture in a 13-in x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until set.

-Place candies, cut side down, over crust. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and then cut into bars.

These were a hit as well… I think I actually preferred these over the chocolate brownies!

3) Yesterday at the Whole Foods in Hadley, a free event was going on that I ceratinly could not miss…

This “fest” lived up to my expectations splendidly! I sampled tons of different chocolatized and sweet items through the store- chocolate mouse cake, caramels, a mole sauce, a rich wine that apparently goes well with desserts, hot chocolate, chocolate ice cream with a cocoa granola for a topping, chocolate covered strawberries, pudding… and even more!

And guess what? I literally sampled ALL of those items, and more! Goodness, this small event is a clear indication to myself on how truly far I have come in recovery. Just about a year ago, I would go to these sort of free sample nights and not eat or taste a single item.

I would go to the event, walk around the store looking at all of that food and watching people try different items, and I wouldn’t even be tempted… well the disordered side of Tessa would not be tempted. I got some sort of sick pleasure from being able to resist these indulgences, and went to these sorts of foodie fests to prove to myself I could. A test of sorts… to show how “strong” and “in control” I was.

As terrible as this sounds, I felt that I was “better” then people because I could resist the fatty foods and they could not. I had the will-power and those other suckers did not. Little did I understand at the time that the only person suffering from this was me.

I would be lying if I said there was zero guilt after having an afternoon of treats like I did. However, sitting with the discomfort and proving to myself that an occasional day of eating like that does nothing, helps tremendously in this recovery process.

4) Since I was in Northampton today because of work, I decided to take a trip to a place called Deals and Steals… a very cheap store bursting with discounted natural food items! Heaven on Earth if you ask me. (Hannah if you are reading this, come back to Noho so we can go here together… you first introduced me to that place after all! :) )

Anyway, they do have pretty crazy deals there- I mean look at these prices on energy bars!

The most expensive ones are ONE BUCK, and most of the others are 25 or 50 cents. Yes PLEASE to those prices!

What a great feeling it is to buy energy/protein bars now and actually eat them. During the early stages of recovery, I would stock up on these with the intention of eating them, but then chicken out in the end… “afraid” of the calories and then not being filled up. First of all I need more calories, and second, all of these are SO TASTY and completely worth whatever anxiety I feel!

I also scored a random box of cereal for $1.99 that is surprisingly delicious and with great nutrition stats:

5) This next Friday Favorite doesn’t actually have to do with food! At the clinic where I intern, they have several different types of groups and meetings that all work together to aid the person in their eating disorder recovery. One of these is called “Art Therapy” everyone has an hour to create some sort of visual that represents their current thoughts or feelings with their EDs. The instructor usually gives some sort of prompt or theme to work around… and today’s theme was a quote.

Think of a quote that really sticks out to you or is important in your life and in your recovery, and make a visual to correlate the message.

I actively participate when it is appropriate to do so, and today I came up with this:

Yep, I am artistically challenged, so try not to let the lack of skills distract you.

I was trying to convey here the idea that a person is made up of so many unique qualities (the colors represent this) and to embrace them is simply necessary. It is terrifying and *hard* to genuinely explore the person that you are and address that question…”who am I?” Yes, it’s difficult and scary, but I believe it’s worth the effort as you will be rewarded in understanding your true qualities.

This is certainly still a work in progress for me!

6) And finally, FLOW!

Credit goes to Lindsay over at In Sweetness and In Health for creating this weekly fitness event!

Yesterday I decided to do a workout from Tina’s Blog that had caught my eye a few days ago…

I did make a few changes-

• Instead of bench pushups I did Renegade Rows with 15 pd DBs for a total of 20 (10 on each arm)
  • I decided not to do the one Leg sit ‘n’ stands and added in a cardio burst instead- 50 total Mountain Climbers, 50 High Knees, 50 Mountain Climbers, 50 High Knees
  • No concentration curls and did a backwards lunge with bicep curl- 10 on each leg.

I really liked the idea of Tina’s workout and I only made a few changes to add in some moves I am personally loving at the moment. I did this circuit three times through and was a hot mess by the end :) The way I like it!

And there you have it, another Friday Favorites, with a food focus :)

-Do you actually use any of the tips and “how-tos” from Pinterst that you pin like a mad woman? I need to utilize my choices more… I tend to get a bit ambitious!

-Would you prefer a chocolate or blondie-style brownie/bar more? Like I said, the Rolo ones certainly did tickle my fancy.

-Have you ever reacted or acted around samples in food like I have before… a feeling of empowerment perhaps? Not something I enjoy admitting.

-Do you think “Art Therapy” would be helpful to you in any aspect of your life?

-What are your plans for the weekend, tell me one thing at least (please) :D. Besides going to my dad’s on Sunday and work, not much for this gal!

I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of their Friday nights, and is doing something a bit more interesting than me ha. But really :)

1 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions February 10, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I did that exact same workout of Tina’s on Tuesday! My women’s body conditioning class was cancelled, so I wanted to get in a total body butt-kicking workout to make up for it. I modified mine a little too, but phew! It was tough! Your version sounds even more exhausting than mine!

I’m actually on midwinter break right now (ballin!), so my weekend lasts until WEDNESDAY. What up! I don’t have too many plans…my school is playing our super huge rival tomorrow in basketball, so I’m going to the game and then heading home for my family’s annual January/February birthday party on Sunday. I’ll probably be homeworking all day Monday and Tuesday (blah) and then I get to spend all of Tuesday night selecting members for Mortar Board, a national college senior honors/service organization I’m on right now, for next year. Woot. Haha. We only have room to take a third of the people who applied will get in…it’s gonna be a looooooonnnnnngggg night.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Cross Fit: Century Workout

2 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Yay I am glad you did the workout too! It was certainly a good one and yeah, modifying worked out well
Sounds like you have a busy few days planned even though you are on break! I hope it goes by fast!

3 crista February 10, 2012 at 11:00 pm

love your quote! awesome! I just tried a braid like that in my hair (even the back is shaved the front is long) and it really is a great way to keep the bangs out of the face AND look cute
crista recently posted..Write On

4 Liz @ iheartvegetables February 11, 2012 at 12:39 am

Your hair looks SO Cute like that! I love pinterest too!!! :) It’s kind of addicting ;)

I’m so proud of you for trying all the samples! that’s so great!!! :)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Vitalicious Review!

5 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Thank you Liz! I hope you have a nice weekend!

6 Haley @ Health Freak College Girl February 11, 2012 at 1:17 am

i totallyyyy know what you mean about not giving into the samples. like at costco, i would NEVER take the samples. i would just walk on by them because i didn’t know how many calories were in them.

that braid is SO cute! i am challenged when it comes to doing my hair with anything beside a pony tail or bun haha
Haley @ Health Freak College Girl recently posted..operation get out of the dorm=success

7 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Yep exactly… the calorie thing was a huge issue for me. But I am so glad to be getting over that, too good to resist sometimes!

8 lindsay February 11, 2012 at 1:45 am

pinterest is better than any magazine for hairstyles, agree! and i hope you get some downtime this weekend. what a buy but exciting time Tessa!
lindsay recently posted..Free Friday

9 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I will make sure to Lindsay!

10 sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) February 11, 2012 at 3:09 am

I actually haven’t got in to pinterest, have heard about it. sure I will catch on soon:p

So gla dto hear you were able to go around and taste things, I remember going to those sorts of things and not being able to taste them and feeling so rubbish as one side of me really wanted to but the ed side was like no way!! so rubbish, now I like being able to try them. Who wouldn’t want free food hehe.

My plans for the weekend are cooking me and the boyfriend a veggie spag bol, and going for a swim with my friend in the morning.

11 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Sounds like you have a great weekend planned Sarah, enjoy it :D

12 Khushboo February 11, 2012 at 3:50 am

Oh my word those brownies look delicious! Do I dare say that I am not the biggest fan of brownies in general because they are too chocolatey but these look PERFECT! Hope you are having a great weekend! Hmm one thing I am doing this weekend? I’ll give you 3: drinks on Friday night with some friends, dinner on Sunday night to celebrate my friend’s birthday, and going for an overdue haircut!

13 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Let me know if you ever try them out! And it sounds like you have a great weekend planned, have soo much fun!

14 Vien @ We Dare Food February 11, 2012 at 4:33 am

GOSH! That Deals and Steals place sounds amazing! I would go crazy in a store like that! And I absolutely love that hairstyle! :D
hmm… for me, samples were different from ‘normal food’. In my brain it goes like this: “It’s only a bite so, it doesn’t count.” And with each sample I try, I’ll repeat this to myself. And once, I ate samples (in a food exhibition) till my stomach cramped. There’s something about tiny portions of food that doesn’t scare me! How weird..
Vien @ We Dare Food recently posted..Ying Thai 2, Carlton

15 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Weird but fantastic! I am so glad we are both making a whole lot of progress :)

16 Kat @ a dash of fairydust February 11, 2012 at 4:50 am

I’ve been trying some hairstyling tips from Pinterest,too,lately. That one-sided braid looks wonderful on you,Tessa,really really pretty! :)
I think I’d prefer a blondie bar over a brownie,but I’d probably have to test-taste both though,hehe ;)
I’m actually not doing much this weekend; my sister wants to do some step aerobic with me tomorrow though,I guess it’ll be fun! :) Hope you have a great weekend,try to relax a bit from your stressful week,girl!
Kat @ a dash of fairydust recently posted..All I need.

17 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Aww thank you Kat! I am going to try and enjoy my weekend, and you do too!

18 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! February 11, 2012 at 5:10 am

I love that hairstyle! I don’t usually have the patience to actually use any of the how-to’s that I pin, unless they’re quick tips. I see all these hair ones and such, but most don’t even work with my hair :-(
This weekend I’m just chilling (literally – it hasn’t been above 20 degrees for the past 2 weeks), going to a student dinner party, and grocery shopping! Haha, exciting, right?
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..A Little Something New

19 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Im actually surprised it worked with my hair… it took a lot of practice! Exciting to me, I love the grocery store way too much :)

20 Amy Lauren February 11, 2012 at 6:34 am

I do love Pinterest :). I follow you on there too!

Those bars look really tasty. So do the brownies, but the bars seem really simple to make too for people who are more into caramel and nuts than chocolate. If I can get my hands on some rolos I may have to make them myself.

As for my weekend plans, I’m running a 12K in less than two hours… eek! Better go ahead and get dressed and ready, I guess!
Amy Lauren recently posted..A Very Sweet Five Question Friday

21 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I hope the race went well! Can’t wait to hear about it :)

22 Dana February 11, 2012 at 7:51 am

That day at Whole Foods sounds great! It’s the best when you go in and they have tons of samples. It really is just proof of how far you have come when you can actually go in and enjoy sampling the items. Way to go girl! Now if only I could get one of those Deals and Steals stores near me. Bars consume way too much of my money but I can’t resist!

Today I’m going to the state fair! I plan on eating something really really unhealthy :) Enjoy your weekend, Tessa!
Dana recently posted..R.I.C.E.

23 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

ahhh I can’t resist either.. it’s so bad! But I only buy them with a great deal!

24 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 11, 2012 at 7:52 am

love that hairstyle! So cute :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Icky Sticky Baked Date Pudding!

25 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

I love that hairstyle! Do you have a link to how to do it? :D

That chocolate event sounds amazing! And congrats on letting yourself try the samples – that’s such a great sign of recovery! :) I can relate to how you used to act around samples. I used to always make the excuse that I couldn’t eat them because of my nut allergies (which is a legit excuse!) but secretly I’d be glad I had that excuse because I wouldn’t have eaten them anyways. Nowadays when I pass by samples, I still have to turn them down… but I wish I didn’t have to! :P

This weekend I’m going out for dinner with Meg (from A Dash of Meg) and having lunch with my mom on Sunday. I can’t wait! Hope you have a good weekend hun!
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Chickpea flour flatbread

26 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Sure thing! I used this video for inspiration…. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-herb-tomato-crostini-10000001892025/
I am so glad to hear your mindset has changed with the samples too! it makes me sad to realize how much I have missed out on!

27 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm

whoops that was certainly NOT the right link lol! I might be making those another day… anyway, this is the correct one!

28 Alexandra February 11, 2012 at 9:00 am

I LOVE you pinterest hairdo!!! SO HAWWTTT! :D
And huge holla for those bars on sale. I found a store in my college town that’s the same way with cheap bars–LOVE!! My wallet is quite happy with that store heehee
Enjoy your weekend lovely lady!
Alexandra recently posted..Sardines and High Fives

29 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Ha thanks missy! Have a FAB weekend at home!

30 Kaitlyn February 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

I LOVE the hairstyle! How did you do that?!?! That quote is perfect. It’s a great reminder…sometimes it is needed (by me, at least!) :)
Have a great weekend!
Kaitlyn recently posted..Some Inspiration from Superbowl Commericals…

31 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Ha it took a lot of practice for me.. doing anything with my hair is quite a challenge!

32 Shannon from Healthiful Balance February 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

Love that hairstyle.. I need to try it out sometime!

Ahh lucky you! I love when my favorite foods go on sale.. especially bars and fresh produce. :)
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..Anorexic to Fit Series {Part 1}

33 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Yeah give it a try, I bet it would look great on you!

34 Melissa February 11, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hey girl, I love the hairstyle as well!! I should check pinterest out for new hairstyles…I always do the same thing haha. That quinoa dish looks fantastic…let me know how the recipe turns out! Also, where is the steals and deals in NoHo? I can only ever find the shoe store.

P.S. The chocolate event at WF sounds so yummy! I don’t know if they have other free events at the one in Hadley but we should definitely check more out!

35 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm

It’s actually really close to there! It’s just down the road a bit more on State Street near the Pearl Street Nightclub

36 Natasha February 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

Cute braid!!
The only problem I have with food samples is how gross they are – everyone putting their potentially dirty hands in a small container of food – omg it is my worse nightmare; that is usually the reason I shy away from those samples. Every now and then when I’m at whole foods and they are just putting out the samples, I’ll give some a try, but not usually. It just really grosses me out to no end haha!
Plans for this weekend – STUDY STUDY STUDY and my dad my visit so we might go out to lunch :)
Natasha recently posted..I went SHOPPING

37 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm

This is true… I understand you on that one! But these samples were at least individually portioned out so it wasn’t a free for all :)

38 HollieisFueledByLOLZ February 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

I more pin things for the humour of it all. I know for a fact that I couldn’t do those hairstyles (as much as I would love too). Great job girl!
HollieisFueledByLOLZ recently posted..Friday Food Label Talk

39 Katherine February 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

This may come as a shock, but I think pinterest is totally boring! I’ve never really been able to get into it.
This weekend, all my buds ended up going home, but that works out okay. I’m ill and need to rest and do homework. Thankfully, it’s not an upper respiratory or sinus illness, so it won’t stop me from running my 12 miler tomorrow. My half is in two weeks, and this week is made up of my longest training mileage yet!

40 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I know art therapy can be great, maybe mostly for kids, but every time I’ve been involved in art therapy it’s been the biggest waste of time with the craziest “therapists” ever. I have insanely hilarious stories about art therapy. Oh my do I ever.
I’m also currently loving renegade rows :)
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Gender Politics In Social Media: Pinterest v. Gentlemint

41 Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey February 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm

OMG! I’m so jealous! I want one of those stores near me!!!!!! AWESOME DEALS!!!
Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey recently posted..PB & J Yogurt

42 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie February 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I love your hair! I am so hair challenged so I only know how to use hair tools like a straightener and waver but I can never do cool-looking updos or whatever!

The kale and quinoa dish looks so good! I think I’ll be pinning that and hopefully remembering to make it over spring break. I always pin cool ideas on Pinterest and then forget about them!

I’m home this weekend so I’m probably going to make dinner with my dad, including my first-ever batch of kale chips so I hope they turn out okay! And maybe I’ll do some sledding since we got dumped on a week ago!
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..The Right One For You

43 tessa8m February 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I hope you have such a great weekend home Ashley! I heard that area got a lot of snow, ugh! At least sledding is a good time

44 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm

No chocolate fest for me on Thursday. Grumble…
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Recchiuti: Champagne Truffles

45 caloricandcrazy February 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I am so jealous you live near such a store that sells discounted energy bars! Haha. I’d probably stock up like a MAD WOMAN. :P
caloricandcrazy recently posted..Bobo’s Oat Bars Review

46 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Love your post!! And I’m pretty artistically challenged too, but I love the quote that you chose! I have done some of the stuff that I’ve pinned on pinterest, but I should really do more haha. I hope you’re having a fabulous weekend pretty lady <3
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..FLOW #2

47 Christie February 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Love your hair do! :)

LOVE when food you actually want goes on sale!! Especially energy bars, they are so pricy if not on a good discount.
Christie recently posted..Leaving some in the tank & Sherry Run!

48 Paulina (One Smile Ahead) February 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm

The hairstyle looks so cute on you! I’m so happy to hear you sampled all those goodies. Everything sounds amazing! I really wish we had a Whole Foods close to here. The deals you got on the energy bars are awesome! I love them, but I hate the actual price. Oh and I love your art work! :] It truly shows how far you’ve come.
Paulina (One Smile Ahead) recently posted..The Jar Family

49 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 8:43 am

Ugh I know the actual price is ridiculous… so yeah, did go a bit nuts when I saw the discounted prices :)

50 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 11, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Your hair is beauuuuutiful!!! It looks amazing like that!
OMG a chocolate fest?? I wish my whole foods had that! Yummmy :D Happy weekend girlllyy! <3

51 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

They don’t usually have events like this! I saw it advertised about a month ago and knew I was going :)

52 Chloe@EveryCraving February 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm

LOVE your hair girl! I’ve worn my hair the same way (straight and down) for like 5 years so I’d definitely love to try that cute hair style. I’m glad your doing so well with eating new foods, you really are making so much progress Tess! Speaking of, I am extremely jealous you got to go to a chocolate fest! Let alone, you have a Whole Foods (I need one close to me desperately.) Enjoy the rest of your weekend girl! :)
Chloe@EveryCraving recently posted..Penne Alla Vodka

53 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 8:41 am

I bet this type of hair style would look wonderful in your hair! It did take me a whole lot of practice though haha

54 Turtle-speed Runner February 12, 2012 at 12:10 am

I remember going to a food and wine festival right at the beginning of my recovery… I was really proud of myself to be able to try everything too :) Although I did still feel guilty, it was one of the first big steps I took to being better.
I love pinterest, although I don’t really go on it very often. There’s some great inspiration though and definitely awesome recipes…
Turtle-speed Runner recently posted..Rum & Raisin Frozen Yoghurt

55 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 8:31 am

Awww yay I am so glad you were able to do that too! You are right, it is a major step :)

56 Kate @ Chasing It February 12, 2012 at 7:34 am

I Love your hair!!!!! I actually used to do that little braid thing allllll the time when I had long hair (grow back faster dammit! lol), it’s so convenient and I don’t have to be doing that obnoxious hair toss all the time to get the bangs off my face hah. I actually don’t use pinterest that much….every time I search for something specific I can never find anything even close. Oh well. I’m so jealous of the chocolate tasting thing you went to!!! Omg, I wish my whole foods did things like that (or maybe they do and I need to sign up for their email list or something) – BIG props on actually tasting all those things, huge victory! :-D I gotta admit, the way you thought back in the ED days…exactly the thoughts that used to go through my mind. Even at restaurants with all my Italian family, I’d see them get the big bowls of pasta and ravioli and pizzas (I mean, DUH), and I’d be so proud of myself for sticking with the tiny salad. I kind of even remember thinking mean things like “haha fatties, you have no willpower!” wow, what a horrible person ED made me. Obviously the only person who was suffering from lack of delicious italian food was me! SO glad to be past that point and so glad you are too! It’s not worth it to pass up things like dessert wine and chocolate mousse ;-)
Kate @ Chasing It recently posted..Until Later (but hopefully sooner)

57 Allie February 12, 2012 at 7:42 am

Wow I LOVE your hair! It looks so cute :) Also, I think art therapy can def. be effective !
Allie recently posted..Funzies

58 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thank you Allie! It did take some serious practice haha

59 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Wow! What a steal on those bars! I’m currently obsessed with the Ice Oatmeal Cookie Z Bars…so good! That chocolate fest looks absolutely mmm-azing, so good job on letting yourself indulge :)
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Surf City Recap

60 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Oh my those are sooo so good! I eat them way to fast though haha

61 Tara February 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love all the how to things on pinterest!! I’ve used them for painting my nails and making scarves. I LOVE the braid!! That style is so cute!!

I wonder if my whole foods had chocolate day… I would have been all over that. I go to whole foods and costco sometimes just for the samples. I used to avoid them at all costs (who knows how many calories that is?!) but now I take advantage of free stuff :)
Tara recently posted..WIAW–A Good Vegan Meal (South of the Border Kale Salad)

62 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Yep exactly… free stuff is hard to beat :)

63 CulinarilyCourtney February 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I just found your blog and it is so inspiring! While I do consider myself “recovered” now, I realize that it is a life long struggle. This post reminded me a lot of how I was unable to eat ANY samples at Costco a few years ago, but now I can! Congratulations on being able to indulge :)
CulinarilyCourtney recently posted..Court’s Clicks: 2/10/12

64 tessa8m February 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Hi Courtney! Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog! It is a long journey, but one I believe I will eventually overcome! I am so glad to hear you have made such progress as well :)

65 Rach February 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh girl, I use Pinterest like crazy, haha! Super cute hair!
Rach recently posted..How Sweet It Is!

66 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com February 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I LOVE getting a good deal on Bars. We have a store called big lots that would sometimes have Clif bars for like 50 cents. You better believe I would buy the entire box.
I think I am a hoarder? I have way too many bars!!!
hope you had a good weekend hunni!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..Baby Steps

67 tessa8m February 13, 2012 at 7:03 am

Ha no worries I am definitely a hoarder too…. when it comes to certain things!

68 Emily February 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Um, SO jealous of that Deals n’ Steals store! That sounds amazing. You ended up with quite the collection of goodies. And, at those prices, who could resist?!
I’m so addicted to pinterest. You did a really good job with the braid! I’ve attempted that a few times but apparently I’m not as skilled as you- mine never turn out right!
And I originally got my inspiration for kale/rice bowls from pinterest as well! Now I’ve been experimenting with lots of different combinations and variations- they’re all sooo good. I can’t get enough. (:
Emily recently posted..A Dreamer’s Guide to Optimum Health

69 Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog.com February 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I’m all about LUNA bars right now but I used to be TERRIFIED of them. Now it’s nice to eat them–whole foods I can recognize. Granola bars used to have the same effect, but I get why people eat them now and I use them for convenience! :)

Art therapy is an under-utilized therapy, in my mind! There’s an art therapist who leads the eating disorders support group at my university. She has some really cool ideas and sometimes shares them with us — though I’ve never been to her art therapy group itself. She gave us mandalas. Coloring them is really soothing. Here’s a link for a bunch of free downloads: http://www.mandala-4u.com/en/start.html :) It’s worth a shot, I figure!
Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog.com recently posted..A recap

70 drenouch February 13, 2012 at 2:44 am

It is really much fun if you plan ahead of time, specially if it is about food. It is my passion to cook and I do enjoy so much if I cook. Those deserts and other sweets can make your weekend so productive and fulfilling.
drenouch recently posted..ppi calculator

71 Colleen February 13, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Ummm, I’ve never been on PinInterest. Shocking?! Probably so…but I’ve heard from everyone that it is crazy addicting and I don’t have time for that in my life right now!!! I know myself and it’s better if I don’t explore it!
I’m not a bar-type person…cake is my fav.
Have you ever reacted or acted around samples in food like I have before… hahaha. Story of my life!!!!! I’ll go into stores w/ samples or even go to parties and not taste a single item. It’s a bit extreme. I will admit that 60% of the time it’s b/c the food is made w/ ingredients I am highly allergic to, but…even if I am assured that it’s safe (allergy-related) I still won’t taste it.
Prime example…….you know I have a little “bakery” business. Well, I spent all wkend baking. I had over 20 orders. I tasted NOTHING!!!! In fact, I just served the to-die for cake to a group of people and I didn’t eat a CRUMB. Why? It’s 100% healthy, but I can only eat sweets in the evening…after I’ve burned at least 1500 cals from crazy exercise. WTH!?!?!

72 Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 17, 2012 at 10:25 am

Ooh cute hair! :) I too used to get a “sick pleasure” from not eating when others were. Later on I felt guilty for not letting myself indulge and now I enjoy indulging in sweets. Those bars… and the prices… you are lucky! Lara protein bars are AMAZING.
Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee recently posted..Super (Bowl) Sunday

73 Katie February 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Hope your weekend was great love and hope dinner at your dads today is fabulous!

SO awesome of how far you have come since last year with your disorder, you should be SO proud! Congrats!

Great deals on those bars!

Katie recently posted..Sliders and Brown Box Night

74 Ms.Taylor February 27, 2012 at 10:02 am

What a delicious collection, I think my day will become more great and chocolaty with this stuff….
Ms.Taylor recently posted..movers Bristol