Hey Y’all! (random title to say the least!)
Can I get a HOOPLA for making it to Friday? (Did anyone watch SpongeBob as much as I did back in the day? Gosh that stuff is good)
For today’s post I am just bringing up a random slew of ramblings that I feel I want to update, inform and tell you all about! It is Friday after all so making a completely cohesive post is just not on the agenda. Plus I have been writing several papers, emails and of course writing for blogging-related stuff and my eye balls hurt from the screen at this point haha. Not that I am not enjoying all of this (well school papers not so much) but yeah, I am glad the weekend is hurrr.
So let’s get to it, in numbered form for organizational purposes!
1) I am on Day Four of no intense exercise and so far none of my worst, irrational fears have come true…who woulda thunk huh? Aka I have NOT…
- Lost all endurance and muscle tone
- Gained weight
I am still not sure how long this break is going to last. At first I gave myself seven full days to take off as I thought that was all I would be able to stand. But honestly, I am not going as crazy as I thought I would, a sincere relief to say the least! What is really encouraging me and keeping me committed to this break, is remembering the fact that I simply do not have a choice in this… well that is if I have any hope in competing this summer in various road races and triathlons (both of which I plan to do!).
Guess what else happened the other day? I went to a yoga class and didn’t want to stab myself during it! Win.
For YEARS I have hated yoga with a burning passion… and I can better understand the “reasoning” behind my attitude now that I am resting properly. Yoga just did not count as a workout for me- not that it was not a challenge, because I know some kinds are quite hard, but more that it was just NOT for me.
A workout that does not get my heart rate pumping above 180, that does not make my muscles burn, and induce sweat like no other? Pshhh don’t think so! Plus anytime I had tried yoga in the past I can remember feeling mentally tortured during it- I was so BORED and could not wait for the class to be over, yet time seemed to be going backwards. And yet when I went to a class on Thursday morning, I found it enjoyable. WHO AM I?! Albeit hard, as I am inflexible as heck, but it felt good.
What I am trying to express and explain is wow, the mind is a powerful thing. I mean duh, could that have been a more obvious and dumb statement? Well it’s crucial here. With a simple shift in my thinking, attitude and thought process toward yoga, I found the class fulfilling and beneficial for both my mind and body… this shift made all the difference.
Remembering this as I continue taking rest will be vital for my success and sanity. Plus, this whole turning your attitude/thinking around has really intrigued me… how else could this benefit in my recovery, in my life?! Countless ways I am sure and I am looking forward to exploring this notion further.
2) I just finished Divergent the other day and LOVED IT!
I cannot remember who recommended this… Lindsay was it you? If you like the Hunger Games (sheese who doesn’t!?) then you will quite thoroughly enjoy this novel.
“One choice. One choice decides your friends, defines your beliefs, and determines your loyalties . . . forever. Or, one choice can transform you. In Veronica Roth’s debut novel, Divergent, a perfect society unfolds into a dystopian world of electrifying decisions, stunning consequences, heartbreaking betrayals, and unexpected romance.”
Anyway, it was an excellent choice and I am rather excited for the next one to come out!
3) I cooked and baked A TON when I was home last week and wanted to share a few more of the recipes- plus the one for egg white oatmeal that a few of you requested
First up a recipe for coffee cake. I am a coffee cake FANATIC… that was a favorite snack choice FOR SURE when I was younger. The crumb topping was obviously the best part and I definitely favored Entenmanns over any other kind out there, they had the thickest most buttery crumb topping Well I have not had coffee cake in years for reasons you can probably guess (oh hey there fear food) but that doesn’t mean I am not going to never have it again. And until then, how about a spruced up healthier version!
Blueberry-Lemon Coffee Cake
(adapted from Cooking Light)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- **1/3 cup almond paste
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg (could use an egg substitute!)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup milk (I used vanilla soy milk)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (I used frozen)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
If you do not want to buy/cannot find almond paste, you can make your own! I did…
- 1-1/2 cups blanched almonds
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place almonds in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar, egg white, extract and salt; cover and process until smooth.
- Divide almond paste into 1/2-cup portions; place in airtight containers. Refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 3 months. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar, almond paste, and 2 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add egg and lemon juice, beating well. Add the flour mixture and milk alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fold in the blueberries and rind. Spoon batter into a nine-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, combine 1/4 cup sugar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, tossing with a fork until moist. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
These were fantastic if I do say so myself! The lemon flavor was evident but not overly powerful, the blueberries added a fresh taste, they were not too sweet and the crumb topping (although not Entenmann’s) was taste as well!
Egg White Pumpkin Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup egg liquid whites
- 1/3-1/2 cup pumpkin puree (your preference)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Cinnamon to taste (I use about 1 tablespoon!)
- Cook the oats according to package directions. I cook mine for more time to get them thicker, about 10 minutes with occasional stirring.
- In the last 2 minutes of cooking quickly stir in the egg whites, being sure to stir vigorously so they get well-distributed and so they do not curdle. Then, stir in the pumpkin purée, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Serve and enjoy a rather voluminous, splendid bowl of oats! Oh and top with whatever tickles your fancy… I was feeling blueberries this particular day:
4) Let’s talk Pinterest (click to follow me! Shameless plug there, sorry) for a bit here… first a few funny pins that stuck out and allowed me a chuckle in the last few days-
I cannot even tell you how many times I have heard the above meme spoken by someone here at school…
Unfortunately this next one is too true:
This happened yesterday as a matter of fact at Barnes and Noble and I almost died from grossness! (yep it’s possible )
One more thing about Pinterest! I stumbled upon this article the other day and could not help but share it:
If you do not feel like clicking over, it’s an article summarizing Pinterest’s efforts to ban those damn Thinspiration and Thinspo pins that are all over the place on the site. However, they also discussed how difficult of a task this is going to be and also the whole going against free speech thing.. something I have discussed on my own blog before.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this (and from the article)…. What do you think? Just another meaningless infringement on free speech, or a progressive step toward making the internet less full of thin women in undies, unhealthy “tips,” and other triggering images?
For me I can see how this can go both ways but as I said when I discussed this a few months ago, for the most part I found them harmful.I know I used to go on Thinspiration sites.. not necessarily to utilize the tips, but I certainly made note of them “just in case.”
5) Game of Thrones Seasons 2 premieres on Sunday!!!!!!!!!! (excessive explanation points are necessary)
To say I am excited with be a massive understatement… gigantic I tell you! I will tell you that I will be out of commission from 9- 10:30 on Sunday night, no one attempt to talk to me Oh and even thought the show is only an hour, I will need that extra 30 minutes to process the awesomeness this show is.
6) When I was home this week, I hung out with a good friend of mine Suzanne (who I went to NYC with during December) and she is coming to UMASS this weekend! She is visiting her cousin who is celebrating her 21st (eek) and we will certainly be meeting up.
During break we partook in beach, restaurant and bar festivities together and it was a joyous time.
I just wanted to include this next picture as I am still reminiscing on the warm weather last week.. plus I like this outfit and it’s always a nice change to see the positives in yourself once in awhile
See you Saturday deary!
7) On Sunday I am going to my dad’s house to help out with some yard work stuff, alongside my step brothers, and will have the opportunity to use a chainsaw. Is it weird I am incredibly psyched for this? Lumberjack Tessa comin at ya!
This movie scared the begeezes out of me.
So there you are, a pretty random post to say the least but that’s alright, it was great to get things out and share them with you! Next week I plan to talk more about how the resting situation is going… and the food aspect of this as well (lots to say on that one) and whatever else I feel the need to discuss!
-What are your thoughts on the Pinterest screening/ban on Thinspiration stuff? Is it necessary and do you think it will be helpful? Do you think it will be hard to define what qualifies as thinspiration verses not?
-What are you reading right now? Any good book recommendations!? I need some new material!
-Are you “involved” in any TV series right now or waiting for one to come out? Any Game of Thrones fan out there?
-Do you have any favorite dishes that you have “healthified” like the blueberry crumb cake?
-What are your plans for the weekend? Do they involve heavy-duty machinery like mine? hehe
Have a most glorious rest of your Friday and weekend of course!