Updates, Absurdity and Cake Vodka

by tessa8m on April 20, 2012

in Friday Favorites

Mornin to you all and Happy Friday!

Although I am glad it’s nearly the weekend, I really can’t say that I “need” the weekend to come… in all honesty, this past week has not been busy at all as far as school work goes! As I said on Wednesday, there are only about 2 weeks of actual classes left and at this point, I have nearly completed all of the necessary work for most of them. My internship paper is written, two of my classes do not have a final, and my capstone project is close to done! I mean I do still have some remaining assignments to finish up, but the bulk of my work for my final semester is all finished.

NOT that I am complaining about a lack of work! It’s just odd knowing that there is nothing looming over my head, nothing waiting for me to tackle, no assignment that is going to rip my brain apart…

Truthfully, I do not do well with free time at all. It’s odd, I often complain about being too busy, “needing a break” a time for myself, but then I get it and try to relax, and start to freak out and feel completely useless, as though there is SOMETHING I must be doing. I was not always like this and can understand now a lot of this thought process has to do with disordered eating shiattt.

When I have too much free time, I start to focus on my body more, what I am eating/not eating, weight, exercising, etc, and I just cannot tolerate it. Keeping busy and productive is important of course, but relaxing is a major component of life as well, we all need it and it’s something I feel compelled to work on. Relaxing both my mind and body and taking the time to repair all parts of myself.

I am also understanding that while focusing on all eating disorder related business is a helpful part of my own recovery, it’s necessary to branch out a bit, try other things not related to all of this including reading blogs, scanning Pinterest (err constantly!) researching about health topics, exercising-related information and so on. As a result, I am helping out a friend and volunteering at a few campus events this weekend, planning to go out at least one night, and also see Papa on Sunday!

Just to do something, anything different and plus volunteering makes me feel good inside :) There is more to life then this illness after all and I need to get my butt out in the world and do some exploring.

Whoops that was a bit of a tangent there! I meant to dive right into things I wanted to mention for Friday… ahh well. That’s just something that has been on my mind lately and how finding the balance between recovery, eating disorder/health topics and OTHER STUFF is quite a pressing matter right now.

Alright so let’s finally get to it… a random list of things that are worth mentioning (well to me at least), stuff you ought to know about and other random shenanigans :)

1) Now that the weather seems to have taken a permanent turn for the better (yes please), I decided it was time to put the feather back in my hair:

I’m not entirely sure if these are in-style at all this year, or if now more than ever, only girl under the age of 12 should be wearing them… but I realize that I don’t care! I am rockin this blue feather business in my hair and I like it!

2) I was at Walmart the other day (how I spend this free time I have, gosh I need a life) and I spotted THIS cereal on the shelf… and proceeded to nearly pee my pants,

Okay so disregard any other claim I have made on a favorite cereal I have made on my blog in the past. Rice Krispie TREATS cereal is (in my humble opinion) the greatest cereal ever! I was a cereal FIEND when I was younger, averaging 3.5 bowls per morning (No, I am not exaggerating in the slightest) and would go through this particular kind in about 3 days. I still wonder how I was not obese as a child.

Anyway, I remember a dark period of my life quite clearly, the day that the grocery store near my family stopped carrying this kind… and then every.single.other grocery store ceased to stock it as well. My mom and I could not find it anywhere and I believe it to be discontinued. But NOPE, it LIVES and has made appearance in my breakfast for the last two mornings, although a bit of a smaller portion size now haha.

3) Alright so I know a lot of the “health” magazines out there- Self, Fitness, Women’s Health- for the most part are a bunch of BS and when I read them, it’s more to just pass the time, not for actual reading material. Even with the knowledge, magazines are doing a great job of pissing me off lately- Runner’s World with it’s weight loss issue right after the disordered eating article was published the month before and then I stumbled upon this gem while flipping Fitness the other day,

Is it just me or does anyone else think this “slim trick” is beyond dumb?! WHEN will our society/media stop sending such mixed messages about proper nutrition, what our bodies need, the best ways to “be skinny” ugh just stop. Healthy fats are so necessary for our bodies and by pouring the oil off, you are cutting 0ut a lot of this fat and plus it tastes awful! If you are going to buy peanut butter just eat it the way it is, sheeshe.

4) I did mention earlier in this post that I am planning on venturing out at least one night this weekend and I hope to utilize this new-for-me find at some point… to spice things up :)

I have a funny feeling this is not going to taste like delicious funfetti cake, what I am expecting, and have the notion it’s most likely going to taste like sweet rubbing alcohol/nail polish remover of some sort… yum! ;) I am going to give it a go though, and shall report back!

5) Here are a few quotes that caught my attention this week and thought you would benefit from the words as well:

and this last meme is just for fun!

6) More funniness… I stumbled upon an article titled “The 21 Absolute Worst Things In The World” and felt quite compelled to share a few of my favorites, although most of them are rather accurate! Obviously not to be taken too seriously …

The Facebook status one made me chuckle the most and reminded me of this:

So.true.

6) This is the second time I have seen one of these around campus this semester and had to capture this particular note too….

Not really sure about my face in this picture…. anyway the little reminders are always helpful and do allow me some perspective when I am wallowing- does nothin good!

7) Update on the exercising issue, it’s been awhile. Alright so I am in fact exercising again, BUT it is not even close to as intense as I was doing previous to my commitment to take a break. One of the reasons is that I do want to continue giving my body a break and another and most importantly, I physically am still so fatigued, hurting, just feeling BLAH.

I know my body is overtrained, but I can’t help but have a slight worry that something else is off… I have never known fatigue like this, and it’s just so concentrated in my legs! I am going to see a gynecologist in May and am planning to ask more about these issues when I see her. More on this later of course!

8) Last and most certainly NOT least, a music video my brother made with a friend out in California. This is my brothers interpretation of Reggaeton music… kind of poking fun at the genre, but from a place of love. The music is original, as is the idea for the video which is awesome, hilarious, and harmless… please enjoy!

YouTube Preview Image

What did you think?!

Well that is a whole lot of randomness in one post, but had to get some stuff out :)

1) Do you like having free time, or do you freak out a bit like I do?

2) What (if anything) has been grinding your gears/bugging you lately? Oh another one for me- the fact that my dorm room is officially a toasty oven now that it’s consistently warm outside and after the sun bakes it all day…. oh well there’s nothing to be done!

3) What would you add to the “absolute worst things in the world” list? Remember, just for fun! :) In college, dorm life: I would say getting all psyched up to do laundry, hauling your load down to the laundry room and seeing there are NO empty washing machines. Fail. #firstworldproblem.

4) To all of you legal-age people out there (or not ha) what is the weirdest flavor of vodka or other kind of alcohol you have tried? Before this “cake” one, I tasted a whip cream kind… fantastically gross.

5) I know this question has been asked several times over, but indulge me and tell me your most favorite cereal EVER!

6) What are your plans for the weekend? Is anyone running any road races? Please share so I can live vicariously through you :)

Have a most excellent weekend my friends!

1 Khushboo Thadani April 20, 2012 at 7:03 am

Oh wow I just had to Google that cereal to see if it was actully a twist on the Rice Krispie Treats- errr I need some in my life asap! Although call me boring but one of my all-time favorite cereals is Kellogs Fruit ‘n’ Fibre – love the dried banana bits! That vodka flavor sounds awesome- I really want to try the pb&j flavor which has just come out but I have a feeling my expectations are a bit too high! One of the absolute worst things is waiting in the airport for your bags to come out the conveyor belt. I lost my luggage once so I have this irrational fear that it’s going to happen again!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Shit “Healthy” People Say

2 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Pb and J flavor…?!? Well I will be on the lookout for that :)

3 Bec April 20, 2012 at 7:14 am

Hey Tessa,
I so look forward to when you post, it’s always about something I am interested in! My favourite cereal – I’m going to have to say Coco Pops. Can never go past them in a buffet breakfast and only resist them by NEVER venturing down the cereal aisle haha. I hate doing laundry at uni – THANK GOD I now live with friends. Last year, my first world problem was when I would go back to get my laundry to find someone had taken it out mid cycle and dumped it on the ground. Eeew. My Dad and grandparents arrive tomorrow so I’m spending the weekend with them! It’s been a good four/five months since I last saw them so I’m pretty excited!

AAAANNDDD – I totally relate to the freaking out when not busy thing. I almost like the stress of busy times at uni because I feel like I’m accomplishing something. When I’m just sitting around, maybe baking, or just reading blogs/a good book/watching tv all day, I feel totally useless and I start to worry about completely stupid things because I have nothing else to do. I hate the feeling. I like being busy.

I hope you get over that awful feeling soon! I won’t follow my own advice here, but try to relax! You deserve it! x :)
Bec recently posted..English Muffin Bread

4 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Cocoa puffs are a most excellent choice… I approve hehe :) That sounds like you have such a nice weekend planned, enjoy it Bec!

5 Alexandra April 20, 2012 at 7:18 am

These random posts make my day!! Ok so first, that cereal just blew my mind with awesomeness! Must find!!!! And that I saw that Dick Clark pin on pinterest the other day and almost shat my pants with laughter…I’m sad he’s dead, but boy was that pin funny ;)
That magazine pb tip thing is just plain bad– how could someone defile pb like that?! It’s like taking the chocolate out of m&m’s haha
Hope your weekend is stellar and supa fab lovely lady!! :D
Alexandra recently posted..BIG thanks and Conscious Box Review!

6 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Ha seriously, that is exactly what it would be like! Makes no sense to me

7 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 20, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’m exactly like you described — I’m always saying I don’t have any free time, but then when I get it, I feel like a total waste & find something to do anyway! Ugh, so frustrating!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 9

8 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Frustrating indeed.. it’s such a mental thing and of course something I want to work on!

9 Nikki April 20, 2012 at 7:31 am

I have surprisingly tried the cake and it was strange but tasty! Also that’s what happened to me and berry berry kix. I love them so much!! And just found them magically at target!

10 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Good to know, I can’t wait to taste it :)

11 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

I’m the same way about free time. I love having it after a period of being really busy, but if my free time drags on too long I get bored! That’s why I like school – because it gives me something productive to do! :P

Also, ugh that tip from Fitness makes me so mad! Sometimes those health magazines say the absolute dumbest things. Like one time I was reading an advice column where a nutritionist told the reader NOT to eat carbs after running. Umm hello, WHAT?! I’m only a nutrition student right now, but even I know better than that!

I had fatigue in my legs a few weeks ago too!!! I discovered it was from switching from indoor to outdoor running to abruptly. So then I switched back to running on the treadmill and it went away. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it for you?

Have a great Friday hun! :)
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..WIAW #34: Brain food

12 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Ughhh yes it’s reading items like that in magazines that is just so absurd and adds so much confusion to everything! I am glad you got your fatigue a bit better figured out… I think mine is just overtraining and needing a seriously extended rest. More than a week at least, something I am obviously have a lot of trouble facing, bahhh lol

13 Sarah @ feeedingbrainandbody April 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’m totally in the same boat with regard to school. My biggest push with all the capstone assignments and presentations is already done. I guess thats a plus of being in fourth year and having a lot of project heavy courses. I am the same way when it comes to free time, I want a bit when I don’t have it, but as soon as I get it I’m scad of it! I’m finding it even scarier this time because I don’t know when the busy-ness will come back since I have no clue what my future holds!
Sarah @ feeedingbrainandbody recently posted..Will Climb Branches for Cookies

14 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Ughh yep I feel ya… but congrats one being pretty much done Sarah! Now let’s both try and enjoy it

15 Eating as a Path to Yoga April 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

When you go to the gyno, get your thyroid levels, B12, & Iron checked. Don’t wait. Get tested beforehand, so you can talk about the results at your appointment. Your health and wellness depend upon it. You deserve to feel good in your body.

16 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Thank you for the suggestion! I have recently had my thyroid and iron checked and while the iron level is still slightly low, but thyroid is normal. I will look into the B12 one though!

17 Nina April 20, 2012 at 8:40 am

I am a cereal freak. Growing up I loved cocoa cispies, but now if I had to choose one it would be probably frosted mini wheats or honey bunches of oats. So so good!

18 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Mmm Frosted Mini Wheats… good choice! Have you tasted the Blueberry Muffin frosted minis!? SO SOOO good!

19 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots April 20, 2012 at 9:00 am

that peanut butter thing is absurd! That just doesn’t even make sense to me, ppl shouldn’t eat peanut butter if they are that worries about fats! I bet that cake vodka is good, report back and tell me what you mixed it with! I have never heard of rice krispie treat cereal, but I looovvvee a rice krispie treat so I may need to scour the grocery stores to find those little gems! Have a good weekend!

20 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Yessss search high and low for the cereal, it will change your life for the better hehe

21 Faith @ For the Health of It April 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

Your volunteering idea sounds like it will help a lot with the time issue – should be very enriching!

I love blueberry Stoli. That is all. And as far as cereal? Lucky charms all the way if we’re going for childhood crap cereals!

22 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm

The volunteering has been enriching so far, I am glad i decided to do it!

23 Sarah Beth April 20, 2012 at 9:13 am

LOVE that Elizabeth Taylor quote! Have fun this weekend–I am not a huge fan of vanilla/cake/whipped cream anything vodka because I’m always disappointed (and for some reason shocked) that it doesn’t taste like actual cake.

My favorite childhood cereal is either Lucky Charms or Coco Puffs! Although I don’t eat them anymore. Have a great weekend!
Sarah Beth recently posted..Time to Play!

24 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Haha I can understand that disappointment..I am sure I will slightly as well ;)

25 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 20, 2012 at 9:15 am

I also used to be SUCH a cereal fiend! Every single morning I would literally give myself a stomach ache by eating so much of it but never quite made the connection that I should probably decrease my five bowls of cereal to one or two haha!
My favorites were cinnamon life and special k fruit and yogurt.
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Earth dinner prompts

26 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I definitely went through a lengthy period of time where Cinnamon Life made a regular appearance, good choice!

27 Amy @ Turtle-speed Runner April 20, 2012 at 9:41 am

HA! That link is gold. I swear that facebook status is on everybody’s facebook feed lol!
I tried Cinnamon Toast Crunch for the first time the other day. (We don’t get it here, it was an imported box in a specialty shop). Um… yum?!
And yep, free time is difficult.
Amy @ Turtle-speed Runner recently posted..Struggling

28 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Oh my goodness the first time?! I hope your life has been changed for the better :)

29 Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy April 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

Eeek, free time used to FREAK me out. To be honest, I still get a little antsy. I have three weeks off starting now and have made myself feel less anxious about it by filling my calendar with fun things and colourful dates for coffee and workouts and meals and treats with friends. And by giving myself permission to do nothing because I am so used to being go go go…so we’ll see how it plays out!

Also I LOVE your hair and the feather. I want my hair back!

And boo women’s health. The oil is the healthy part, tools! It’s like that PB2 junk that takes all the good out of a food…hi, there are supposed to be fat in some foods. Better to eat the real food than to focus on a nutrient. Amen to that.

Happy weekend. Your posts make me happy!
Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy recently posted..TGIF on time

30 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:41 pm

That sounds like you have a great plan for your vacation! It’s nice to know you can relate to my anxiety and that you are doing so well with approaching it!

31 ~Jessica~ April 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

Ha! The pencil image in the ‘Worst Things in the World’ list made me smile so much – I’m always sketching in pencil so I can really relate to that. Plus I’m clumsy as Hell and always snag myself on door handles.

My favourite cereal is actually All-Bran! Which, for someone with a wheat intolerance, is not good. I never get to have it any more and I miss it so much – I do wonder if I didn’t set myself up for problems by eating so much of eat when I was younger. My other favourites were Weetabix (I’d put raisins on the top) and Fruit and Fibre.

I actually used to throw up whenever I had sugary cereals! I wasn’t allowed them at home, but sometimes when I stayed with my Granny she’d let me have Frosties or Coco Pops and I’d be so ill afterwards.

I love the feather in your hair :) And I hope the activities you’ve scheduled manage to quiet your active mind a little!

xxx
~Jessica~ recently posted..WIAW: What’s Eating You?

32 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Ha I am glad you appreciated the pencil one… I don’t sketch and that one kills me too! Oh and I can understand the love for All Bran! Although I didn’t eat it when I was younger, I enjoy it now
I hope you have a nice weekend Jess :)

33 Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie April 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

Is it weird that I’m excited to turn 21 (in a year and 3 months…gosh I’m so young!) so I can try all these bizarre vodkas? Glad to know the whipped cream one is gross so I can avoid it!

Peanut butter Puffins are for sure my fave cereal ever! I don’t even like actual PB that much, but I love the taste of peanuts and I love how the Puffins stay crunchy. The peanut butter and chocolate ones are decent too but not quite as good as the original ;)
Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie recently posted..Style Phile: Rainbow is the New Black

34 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Nahh you are not young Ashley… you will be there soon m’dear
The PB Puffins is a great choice, I approve!

35 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

i used to freak about having free time… i felt like i always had to be doing SOMETHING. i still catch myself feeling like that from time to time, but i’m able to enjoy it more than i used to. i think i’ve just realized the importance of relaxation and “me time” more as time has gone on.
and i just have to answer the my favorite cereal question… cinnamon toast crunch! so sugary and delicious. :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Friday [Low Intensity Exercise] Favorites

36 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:24 pm

that’s great to hear you have gotten so much better about this Ashley.. I am sure time will help me too :)
Cinnamon toast crunch= wondrous choice!

37 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! April 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

I totally know what you mean about free time! I think there’s a delicate balance between busy-ness and free time that is so often hard to find.
Btw – have you tried pinnacle whipped cream vodka? it’s magical. mix with orange juice and it tastes like a creamsicle.
(I finally get to see the hunger games movie this weekend!)
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..WIAW – Meal Change and Lentil Patty Recipe!

38 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Yes I have tried it… but I can’t say I was a fan! However, that mixer does sound glorious, might have to give it another go :)

39 HollieisFueledByLOLZ April 20, 2012 at 11:25 am

Um. No. I literally just bought the cake vodka last weekend for my annual drinkfest and it is so good. You will not be sorry. EVER. Plus, if you are like me-it will last for god knows how long…

Anyways-I do agree though about the mixed messages our society is sending.
HollieisFueledByLOLZ recently posted..Friday Favorites!

40 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Weeee good to know, can’t wait for it haha

41 Erin April 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

Free time and being alone with “nothing to do” scares the living daylights out of me! I completely agree with what you said… It’s important to find the balance during recovery – maintain enough structure to not go ED crazy, but have enough free time to enjoy life and NOT be run ragged.

Like a lot of people, cereal currently scares the living daylights out of me to a certain extent. I never want it to be “too good” (afraid I’ll wolf it down), I’m afraid it won’t be filling enough, and it’s not a food my ED can “pick at” (super soggy cereal??? ew) I love frosted mini wheats though! Disordered or not, they get all mushy and yummy and the milk gets sweet from the frosted-ness! As a kid I loved Cinnamon Toast Crunch… it was one of the few “sugary” cereals my mom would actually buy!

42 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Yep my thoughts are the same with cereal, although I have gotten MUCH better about it in the past year. Before starting recovery, I wouldn’t touch cereal with a 10 foot pole! I of course do not eat the same quantities now, but it is nice to have some of those childhood favorites back in my life

43 Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Haha I loved the Rice Krispies Treat cereal when I was a kid too. I was the queen kid of sugary cereals lol! It would make me feel too ill to have it now lol but I am thinking of making some Rice Krispie treats with agave or something and then just crumbling them into a bowl and pouring milk over em. Haha!

PS Love that Mayan NY Eve meme. So funny.

44 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Hahhaa sounds interesting… could be good!

45 Valerie April 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I THOUGHT THEY FOR SURE DISCONTINUED THAT BOX OF HEAVEN. I’m officially on a mission to find that cereal. And that cake vodka is good!!! I also love Pinnacle Whipped with root beer (tastes like cream soda) or with orange soda (tastes like a creamsicle) or even mixing it with raspberry crystal light (tastes like one of those raspberry hard candy things).
Valerie recently posted..Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop…

46 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I need to try the pinnacle whip again… also your other suggestions are great too! Thanks Valerie :)

47 Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes April 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Awesome post! I so agree, we need to let go of the body images and ignore the media and just be happy with ourselves! I love all your quotes you shared!
Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Watermelon Salad with Feta & Mint

48 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Chelsea!

49 Alex April 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Down time is my hardest times as well. I stayed super busy throughout my disorder but now for the first time I love downtime. Blog reading has actually helped this for me so just another reason I am thankful for this community.

First off, love the feather. I miss mine that I had last summer. Second, that cereal is god and I wish they had it near me. Glad to hear about the exercising schedule and I hope you get some answers for your fatigue.

50 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:11 pm

That’s great to hear you have gotten better about your free time… I think I am too but of course there is room for improvement :) Thanks for comment as well, I am sure it will be figured out soon, well I hope!

51 Amy Lauren April 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I am racing this weekend :). 10K tomorrow. I hope my hip flexors can handle it, they have bothered me lately but foam rolling and yoga have definitely helped. We shall see tomorrow (fortunately I know the race timing company guy and he said if I die during the race he will not publish my name when he puts up the final results, hehe).

I’ve not seen that Rice Krispy Treat cereal in years. Did not know they made that, but I remember it from being a kid.

I hope you figure out what’s up with your legs. Mine were constantly heavy when I was very anemic, but if you’re taking supplements and your iron/ferritin levels (make sure they check your ferritin! not all docs do) are going up, that feeling should go away.

Hope you have a fun weekend like you have planned! Enjoy it- the end of college is a great time to party it up! Clay and I are going out to dinner tonight to celebrate his classes being over too.
Amy Lauren recently posted..Five Question Friday – April 20

52 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Awww well good luck this weekend Amy, and stay healthy of course!! I am taking supplements and doing what I need to but haven’t had them checked in awhile.. that could still be the problem. We will have to wait to and see for now

53 Laura @ LauraLivesLife April 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I am the worst with free time – it drives me nuts! I try to stay busy, but I’d love to learn how to just be happy relaxing (not exercising, blogging, writing, working, even reading)! I say I need a vacation, but could I really just lay by the pool without feeling lazy? I don’t know!
Laura @ LauraLivesLife recently posted..Five Things Friday: Tapering Edition

54 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Yesss I would love to learn that too! Good luck this weekend Laura!

55 Melissa April 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

You are too cute with your little feather! I like it. :)

I have to put moving on that absolute worst things in the world list! I hate it . . . even though it will lead to good things. Too much stress. Ugh.

Have a fun weekend!!
Melissa recently posted..News

56 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Gahh can’t blame you for that one… but still your news is so exciting :D

57 Katherine April 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I have the exact same problem when it comes to free time. If I can keep busy, I can keep the negative thoughts at bay. As far as this weekend goes, I’m doing a 10k first thing in the morning that’s based in my local zoo! I’ve heard that it’s a really fun race.
My favorite cereal would probably be cinnamon puffins. It’s the best alternative to cinnamon toast crack that I’ve found because it isn’t a sugar overload and doesn’t make me sick when I eat it. I loved Alphabits as a kid, though.

58 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:29 pm

That does like a fun race Katherine, I hope it goes wonderfully for you!
Alphabits is a great choice, I forgot about that one!

59 Haley @ Health Freak College Girl April 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm

i have a tough time with free time too! before when i was playing basketball, i would cry because i was so exhausted and had no time to put my feet up. then when i quite basketball, i had so much free time! i definitely have to keep myself busy by being outside. i have really liked going on hikes lately :)

i love feathers in hair! i had one last summer and it stayed in for like 6 months. it was such a sad day when it finally fell out
Haley @ Health Freak College Girl recently posted..“me” time

60 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

being outside really is refreshing.. I should try it more this weekend! you should get another again feather too! Join me in the fun :)

61 Lisa April 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Lovin the funny photos! I love your feather, it looks super cute on you, and just wanted to let you know, my sister is a hair dresser and she says that feathers and coloured streaks are definitely making a comeback. She says people come in everyday asking for them, so they are definitely in right now! I am so looking for that vodka drink! I’m going to a party this weekend, so that would be a nice thing to try out!! I know what you mean with free time, I used to have a problem with it and had a hard time relaxing, its gotten better, but its still hard when I focus a lot of my energy on my body and food thoughts. Ugh to that magazine tip. Do they not realize the almond butter is also a fat, why would you get rid of extra. It’s like the same thing, and the oil makes it creamier. Hope you have a great weekend girl!xo
Lisa recently posted..Fun Fitness Friday

62 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Good to know Lisa, thank you for telling me! I actually saw a girl at the gym the other day with dark blonde, thick, wavy and shiny hair that had some hints of blue, purple and pink mixed in… It looked so nice too! Like not over the top at all, I loved it
Yessss try and find this kind of vodka and let me know if you do!
Enjoy your weekend Lisa :)

63 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 20, 2012 at 4:57 pm

OMG I used to live off cereal! I never realized how much sugar was actually in most of them! My favorite all time it probably Cracklin’ Oat Bran or Honey Bunches! ( I bet if I tried the Peanut Butter Cheerios I would love them though!)

I sometimes like to have free time, but sometimes I like to be fairly busy. When I do have free time on the weekends, usually Saturday mornings, I seriously will lounge on the couch in my pjs for like 3-4 hours! Ha it is amazing! Then I realize I though be productive for the day, go workout and prob cook something too.

My grandma does that oil on the peanut butter thing- I tell her the oils are good oils- not sure if she listened though, I should probably check back with her on that one! I’m really glad that you are branching out this weekend!! I wish I lived close to you, I would totally come hang out with you sometime!! :)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread

64 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Ahhh cracklin oat bran is great! There is an ice cream store near me at home that serves cracklin oat bran as a topping! I get it almost every time :) I would love to hang out sometime too Carrie, you are so sweet for saying so!

65 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco April 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I loved this post! And I feel the EXACT same way about free time, too. I want it so badly, and feel so distressed when I don’t have it, but when I do have a little time to myself, I tend to focus too much on food, eating, exercise, etc. Plus, RICE KRISPY TREAT CEREAL? How have I lived this long without knowing about it?!?

P.S. Love the feather!

66 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm

You must find it Kelly… it will change your life for the better!

67 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance April 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm

You lucky girl! I have two finals left to take and am not looking forward to either of them at all :( Boooo.
Not to mention after that I need to start working on assembling my moving committee so I can get alllll of my stuff out of this apartment! No bueno.
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cottage Yogurt

68 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Boooo I am sorry you have some exams left… good luck of course Brittany!

69 Melissa (Better Fit) April 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Hmm… weirdest alcohol is definitely snake wine in Vietnam. Definitely not one to repeat!

I like the feather!
Melissa (Better Fit) recently posted..Foodie Friday: What are antioxidants?

70 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Ick… that sounds so odd haha

71 Jentry Nielsen April 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm

haha you are so funny! That “dark period” when they stopped selling it! haha that is hilarious! I’ve never tried this cereal though, I’m definitely going to have to check out my Walmart soon! My favorite is probably Reese’s Puffs! Oh I just love those!

72 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

A most excellent choice!! Reeses puff are not far behind this favorite :)

73 Margarita April 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm

It is one of the best feelings to be on top of things… I rarely experience this because I’m a slacker and most of the time I’m always running behind. I’ve always had a big admiration for people who do not procrastinate. I am a big procrastinator. I always keep myself busy but instead of channeling my energy on doing things that I need to get done, I do things that I enjoy doing (like cooking, baking, working out) instead of just hunkering down and getting duties over with. Sigh! When will I ever learn? P.S. Love the sticky notes going around in your school campus. That’s a really neat idea!
Margarita recently posted..Melancholy + Everything Good Cookies

74 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Well I am far from perfect, I definitely procrastinate too, especially with stuff I don’t want to do! Thankfully, all of my work this semester is on stuff I actually give a hoot about :)

75 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Love all the randomness! I didn’t even know that rice krispie cereal existed!! I bet it’s delicious :). And that magazine “tip” about pouring the oil off…um….that’s just stupid!! And I bet it tastes awful haha. I’m interested to hear what that vodka tastes like. I bet it’s good with the right kind of mixer! I had the whipped cream stuff once and thought I was going to gag haha. I hope you have an awesome weekend Tessa <3
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Fitness Loves of the Week #12

76 tessa8m April 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I am sure it tastes like dry sawdust.. umm yum? haha
Yeah I was not a fan of the whip cream stuff either, maybe I need a new mixer!

77 Brittany April 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I need to be busy..or I will bored eat. Sometimes a break is nice, but even then I am around people so I am not thinking about eating. I am super boring, and I don’t have a favorite cereal. I do like frosted wheat, and as a kid I ate sooo much cinnamon toast crunch! Ha.
Brittany recently posted..Re-creations

78 tessa8m April 21, 2012 at 9:46 am

I actually bored eat a lot too… especially when I am in my room at here at school. It’s one of the reasons I steer clear of the dorm during the day!

79 Kate @ Chasing It April 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm

ahaha your brother’s video is so great!!! and the music is definitely ridiculously catchy, so awesome that it’s all original! And omg Cake vodka…I haven’t had cake flavored, but I’ve had Pinnacle Whipped and it really does taste like whipped cream!! I’ve mixed it with this orange-banana-strawberry juice stuff before, and with apple cider….ok i swear i’m not an alcoholic…lol

I think it’s totally fine that you’re working out again too. it makes you happy after all – i know when I had to take a few weeks off I was like borderline depressed ugh. And I think if you keep it light and not super intense, it might actually do good things for those tired legs – active recovery gets the blood flowing after all! I hope its not anything serious, but you may want to look up adrenal fatigue syndrome (which I’ve had before and you can 100% recover from it) and also, this may sounds retarded but are you getting enough electrolytes? your muscles will definitely cramp up and fatigue faster without them. I started drinking nuun tablets in my water (or I mix powerade zero or whatever into it) throughout the day, cuz drinking a ton of water can actually dilute the amount of electrolytes in your body.Anyways just something to think about! I hope its an easy fix and not something shittier!

80 tessa8m April 21, 2012 at 9:45 am

I am sooo so glad you appreciated the video Kate! My brother will love to read this comment, I think you are the only one that actually watched it haha. It really is so catchy too, I know I jam out to it on a daily basis :)
Maybe I need to try the pinnacle whipped with something else- a better mixer I mean. That will happen and soon
Also, thank you for the suggestions on what could possibly be bothering my legs! I will certainly look into that syndrome you listed. I of course hope it’s nothing serious either, but SOMETHING is going on. I haven’t felt right in a long time and it’s time to find some answers. Again Kate, thank you for this input, off to do do some research!

81 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes April 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

I can’t believe that “tip” in the magazine! It’s such a pet peeve of mine when people complain about the fat in peanut butter. The point of eating it is for the fat. Peanut butter IS fat. If you don’t want it, just eat something else! Truly I think that “tip” is an ED manipulation of food thing. The person only needs to eat less PB if they want. Wow, I got really worked up over that, lol. This is why I don’t read magazines. At all. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with a lot of peanut butter ;)
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Six Degrees Of Hippie Bullshit

82 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Haha no worries about getting worked up, I did too when I saw that! I was just like whattttt the heck?! My weekend has been filled with both almond AND PEANUT butter :)

83 Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee April 21, 2012 at 10:45 am

Mmm that cereal looks good! I didn’t know they had it before. I used to love Product 19 and they just recently got back to selling it after a 7- or 8-year hiatus. I think your hair feather is adorable! Now I want one. :) I saw that issue of fitness! I thought it was kind of dumb. I would just get annoyed at how hard it would be to spread afterwards. Plus, it probably doesn’t even save that many calories. I hope you feel better soon!
Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee recently posted..WIAW Spring Break Edition

84 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I actually haven’t tried Product 19.. but it does intrigue me because of all of the different flavors and textures in it!

85 Living, Learning, Eating April 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Great post! I just love cereal WAAAAAY TOOOO MUCH (haha, just ate two big bowls of it for a mid-morning ‘snack’, no judging). That pb trick is soooo dumb. I think a lot of health/fitness magazine are pretty enabling for ed victims and then even for those without eds, it’s more of a ‘how to be skinny’ thing than a ‘how to be healthy’ thing. It’s one of my pet peeves when people confuse low-calorie and healthy. Gah.
Living, Learning, Eating recently posted..2:1 Protein Bar Review: Peanut Butter Brownie Time!

86 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm

NEVER anu judging at all! That is a great snack anyway :) Yeah it was a major pain in the butt thing for me to see too… just annoyed me!

87 Tara April 21, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Ugh I totally freak out with free time sometimes, and today I really did. Basically I “messed up” (whatever that means) the day too early, and therefore the rest of the day was terrible and I had no distractions from beating myself up! I wish I could just relax though.
That weight loss tip you snapped a picture of is pretty stupid, but I think that if people are gonna try to do low fat peanut butter, that’s better since it’s actual food. Better ‘n peanut butter is worse. That stuff is nasty chemical taffy peanut product. I despise it.
Tara recently posted..Highlights of Spring Break

88 Caitlin April 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I bought Better ‘n PB once, took one bit, and tossed the jar. It was DISGUSTING.
Caitlin recently posted..Busy Blogger

89 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Ughh Im sorry you had a rough day! I of course understand though, and let’s try to both relax a bit more. Easier said than done of course, but we can at least be conscious of it!

90 Caitlin April 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I don’t do well w/free time either. I often feel like I always have to be productive or doing something to a) keep my mind busy and b) be productive as possible b/c I’m so hard on myself in everything I do. I wish I could cut myself slack and VEG, but I feel guilty when I do so! I have a hard time letting myself enjoy down time.

I love your hair feather. I have always wanted one but don’t think it would go with my workplace :-P it’s a casual dress environment but no one there has ever showed up w/a hair feather.

I haven’t tried the 3 Olives Cake but I have tried their Cherry flavor and it was VERY smooth. I liked the Pinnacle Whipped Cream vodka in college for taking shots…it went down easier than other flavors, so maybe the Cake will be the same.

I think that PB calorie saving trick has disordered eating written all over it. Doing that just is not…normal. I recall having done that in the past when I was stuck in some disordered habits. I’m glad I no longer do! I like reading those magazines but lots of things in them are very triggering. You have to try to keep a filter up.

<3 hope you are having a good weekend
Caitlin recently posted..Busy Blogger

91 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Me too Caitlin… I am going to make an effort to enjoy some relaxation time these next few weeks go… it’s necessary sometimes! Ha the feather might be out of place, but I bet you would still look HAWT in it :)
Mmm the vodka flavor sounds good too!
Yes, a lot of their stuff can be triggering (in the magazines) but like you said, have to learn to filter and enjoy the beauty products sections, recipes and such

92 Michelle (Better with Berries) April 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’m kind of the same – I don’t do well with too much free time! When I first became a teacher, I was looking forward to the long summers off, but it quickly became clear that I couldn’t handle all of the free time. I couldn’t find enough things to do with myself and just felt kind of useless, haha. I’m good with weekends and a week-long break here and there.
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Choose Happy

93 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Always nice to know I am not alone in these feelings Michelle :)

94 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Whoaaa Rice Krispie Treats cereal?? Sounds amazing! I’m not much of a cold cereal person these days, probably because nearly every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning from the time I was three until the time I was 20 I had cold cereal for breakfast. In high school all I ate were Rice Krispies, literally every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning. Sometimes my tummy would feel off in the morning, so that was the only thing that sounded good. Now I mostly just snack on cold cereal. I’ve become quite the oatmeal lover in the past two years.

I don’t think I’ll ever find a vodka I can tolerate, probably because the more alcoholic a drink is, the less I like it. We had a bachelorette party for my friend on Friday and had jello shots…I took one bite and almost spit it out. Blech. Hate alcohol.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Rogue Reviews: Girls in Trucks

95 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Well that is quite understandable about being sick of it! I can’t say I “love” alcohol, but with the right mix, it can be tasty!

96 jessie April 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Okay first.. love your feather, it looks adorable! Even though I was never a huge fan of rice krispie treats I did love me some cheerios, anu flavor would do. {Ave you ever had waffle crisps? My husband use to loveee them and I swear they are discontinued now… poor hubby has to be without :(

Oh the cake flavor is wonderful.. I saw the first comment about the pb and j and was totally wishing someone had commented about it, but no one did. = so wanna try it ou… just have no idea what I would mix it with. Maybe make it a frozwn drink with graham crackers… I don’t know haha
Lastly, if working out makes you happy… hthen do it! You know your body and what enough is. :) also, your beautiful so never feel like you have too to look a certain way… I’ve gone through it and still struggle with it myself :)

97 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Hi Jessie!
Oh my goodness YES to Waffle Crisps! That is so sad they have been discontinued though :( They need to be brought back now, I say haha
Hmmm I wonder what would be good to mix that kind of vodka with too, your idea sounds interesting! Thanks for the positive thoughts, I am working on finding what makes me happy :)

98 Natasha April 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I’d say that the absolute WORST thing that has happened to me in the dorms was last year living in an all freshman SHIT (pardon my language) dorm. It was awful – too crazy for me! I remember last year somebody pooped on the floor in the hallway – it happened not once, but twice. hahah grossss!
I’ve tried whipped cream flavored vodka before and I never gagged. When it comes to vodka, I don’t really like flavors – anything cherry or raspberry makes me sick just smelling it, but pomegranate vodka with arnold palmer and extra lemonade is pretty good! I LOVE Bicardi Limon though! YUM.
I used to love malibu coconut rum, but I overdid it and almost got sick so I can’t drink it anymore haha.
best cereal ever – Lucky Charms!!!!
Natasha recently posted..Life Update

99 tessa8m April 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oh dear lord that sounds like my dorm Junior year where I was an RA! It was in fact horrible and made me question and fear for the human race… not joking at all lol
Some flavors are okay with me, but ones like watermelon make me want to hurl

100 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com April 22, 2012 at 9:02 pm

uhh i HATE free time. way way way too much time for me to think and it is never a good thing!
this may sound weird but i have never heard of that specific kind of rice krispie cereal! i dont actually think i have ever had rice krispies. growing up i my mom was a psycho and didnt really let sugary cereals in the house, so my favorites were crispix and cheerios but sometimes if she felt like being nice shed buy frosted mini wheats which are still a delicious treat today!!

101 Betty Miller April 23, 2012 at 2:22 am

Well, I can tell that you got used to being busy all the time. But don’t let this vacant time pass you by. You’ll regret that moment when you want to have a break but you ran out of time. Just saying. :)
Betty Miller recently posted..MSDSonline Teams up with ASSE and Jennifer Silk for GHS Webinar on April 19

102 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats April 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I like having free time but usually when this happens my eating habits tend to slip. I indulge/snack more often and need to stop doing that! Something that has really been bugging me is the lack of respect I have seen women have for themselves when I have been to the club. Its no wonder it is hard to find a nice guy these days when “ladies” act like total prostitutes for lack of a better term. I tried a blueberry vodka on Friday night! It was pretty good. I suggested to the bartender that they come up with a blueberry muffin martini. I wonder if he will listen to my advice. lol. Picking a favorite cereal is so hard–as a child I always loved Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Honey Bunches of Oats. If we were talking about now, I would have to pick Love Grown Cocoa Goodness or Erin Baker’s Chocolate Chunk granola. Is that Rice Krispie Treat seriously a replica of a rice krispie bar in small chunks? Gooey and everything?!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..thursday things