Time For A RANT

by tessa8m on October 13, 2013

in eating disorder awareness,ED,Rants

Evenin’!

I’m just popping in for a hot second here in order to share something that really grinds my gears. It ticked me off enough to feel compelled to share it immediately, for the shear rage it enlisted and also the sad fact that such titles and content continue to gather such attention.

stinkface

As we are all aware of at this point, Google reader is a thing of the past and once this occurred during the summer, it was necessary to find another similar site. I made my choice of Bloglovin for its simplistic features and have been happy with the website… until today that is. Though it’s not really fair nor accurate to blame Bloglovin itself, but it’s the platform that spurs my (possibly over the top) reaction.

At the top of the website, there are a few tabs, “Home,” “Popular Posts,” “Find Blogs,” and “Feedback.” After watching this week’s episode of Homeland (oh.my.word this season is awesomely stressful), it was high time to do some mindless browsing of new-to-me blogs before heading to bed. I clicked on the “Find Blogs” tab, chose the Fitness category (hmm should probably branch out of this category once in a while), and found that number 17  on the most popular list was this gem,

Screen shot 2013-10-13 at 10.34.26 PM

OH WOW, isn’t it SPECIAL how sh*t like this is still so easily accessible?! Well perhaps that’s the most accurate statement, as anything on the internet is easily accessed. However, this Thinspiration crap is still advertised and prevalent on many popular search engines, Pinterest-like, Stumble-Upon, etc, sites out there. ARRGHHHHH.

Okay I get it, this kind of thing is everywhere and will be as long as both free speech and the Internet exist. But goodness gracious, I wish it would simply go the feck away, and leave the population alone… especially those who are more impressionable than others. I’m talking about younger ladies, early teens, someone in the throw of an eating disorder or trying to recover. Anyone thinking such images are the norm, that your true inspiration should be of a PHOTO of somebody else, who could be real or not!

Hey. You know what happens when your sole focus and goals become utilizing such tendencies and thoughts behind those images? Perhaps nothing, depending on who the viewer is. Other cases? Obsession, physical and mental deterioration, inadequacy, self-consciousness, feeling as if you are never ever ever good enough. No, the pictures are not the sole cause of such destruction, yet they sure give a mighty kick in the patooty in that direction.

disgusted

At this time, I have nothing to add… I am irritated though. I thought such types of sites were at least heading toward the back burner with knowing the angst and anxiety they can cause? Well anyway, let’s try and keep pushing it that way. Please.

-Do you have anything to RANT about on this Sunday night? Let it all out if ya do :)

-Do you think Thinspiration-type sites are still as prevalent as they once were? I didn’t think so but….

Sorry about this ranty/yelling post, had to get it out though. Alright that’s all, time for bed… goodnight everyone!

1 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 13, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I love rants, and this is definitely something to rant about! You would think that with all the attention that ‘thinspo’ had gotten on Pinterest and Tumblr lately, that Bloglovin would catch on to how dangerous the general think that that kind of shit is. Honestly, I would love to find one person who benefits or feels better about themselves from thinspo. Because I GUARANTEE you that no such person exists! It causes people to feel negatively about themselves and their bodies, and quite possibly turn to negative behaviours in an attempt to live up to an unattainable image. Ridiculous, and something that should be banned from the internet.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Weekly Eats and Workouts 10/13.

2 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:37 am

Yes exactly! I actually sent a message to bloglovin about this, because just ahhhh it’s plain old dangerous!

3 Jess October 14, 2013 at 5:55 am

I hear ya!!! I have a big problem with that crap. Most of the time the girls don’t even look thin just way too skinny.
Jess recently posted..My Big Brother is getting Married!

4 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

Way too thin and wasting away by the looks of them…

5 Hollie October 14, 2013 at 7:17 am

That does sadden me a lot. Part of the reason that we face these problems is the accessibility. Do I ever think they will fully get rid of the ability to come across these websites? No…but it really does sadden me.
Hollie recently posted..Running for a Team

6 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

Accessibility, exactly. such things cannot be banned from the internet, as I’m pretty sure that is impossible, but how people actually see them? That should be lessened

7 Alex @ therunwithin October 14, 2013 at 7:45 am

ew really? God that makes me furious. Rant away on that one because that makes me sick. You would think that by now we would have found a way to stop those sites but sadly no, it also is tough because I feel a lot of posts are not necessarily or they don’t necessarily categorize themselves as thinspiration but very much are.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Tell me what did you see.

8 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

Even if we can’t stop them, at least make them more hard to access… not sure how this is done, but it should occur nonetheless!

9 Amy Lauren October 14, 2013 at 7:50 am

It’s sad that society is like this but also shows that people think of fitness as vanity and being thin, which it isn’t. I mean, the “thinspro” people, are they running, in the gym doing crossfit, yoga, etc? Or are they just wasting away being super skinny? One of my friends just got certified to teach BodyPump which is a weights class… she does not look like your average group fitness instructor (bigger girl who’s lost tons of weight). She’s *extremely* fit and inspiring other people to get there regardless of where they are not. To me that is “fitspiration”, not just pics of dehydrated, spray tanned chicks… ugh.

BTW, I use Feedly and it’s great. I didn’t like BlogLovin. Which can’t GReader just come back!
Amy Lauren recently posted..Lowcountry Trail 5K Recap

10 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

Wasting away being skinny seems to be what’s going on… though of course I don’t know what the reality is. Both thin/fit inspiration are crap in my book and I’m glad there are people like your friend who are an example of what HEALTH looks like! “dehydrated, spray-tanned chicks” love it, so true though

11 Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) October 14, 2013 at 8:16 am

This is definitely something to rant about!! I feel really sorry for young girls these days as stuff like this is so much more accessible. It should definitely be banned.
Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) recently posted..Ozeri Touch Digital Kitchen Scale Review

12 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:30 am

I wish it could be banned, though the internet does not allow such things. How about more hidden somehow? That would at least help…

13 Sarah @pickyrunner October 14, 2013 at 8:45 am

That is really pretty disgusting. They should not be posting things like that, especially advertising. I wouldn’t email the company or whoever is listed as the contact because it is not okay. This topic was worth the rant!
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..Bittersweet

14 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:29 am

I’m actually thinking that’s a great idea…

15 Natasha October 14, 2013 at 8:55 am

I don’t think thinspo is as prevalent now, but I could be wrong. It just seems that way to me because I don’t ever search for those disgusting websites, because not only do they make me feel upset, but they can be kind of triggering in an emotional way. They are just so wrong and sad. I do remember once stumbling across one, and it was giving out tips on how to not eat, and it made me cry; I couldn’t believe that people would torture themselves so much to not eat!

Also, I JUST WANT TO RANT AT THE MOTHER-EFFING lady who came into work on Friday and called me an idiot, for no reason. That once encounter at work made me want to quit then and there. It made me cry, I was stressed out because of other things, and I just wanted to understand how somebody could be so rude to another human being. I’m way over it now, but I still just am dumbfounded with the way people treat servers sometimes.

End rant.

Well on that note, lol, I hope that you have a great week. I’m trying to approach this hell-ish week with a positive attitude (3 exams on one day…)

xoxo
Natasha recently posted..Marvelous Monday: Recent Eats

16 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:29 am

I didn’t think it was as prevalent anymore, but then this sh*t popped up and I started to question my conclusions. Hopefully this is the exception rather than the rule though
And ahhh sorry to hear that that happened Natasha! I question human behavior more often than not, and your situation is an example of why!

17 Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen October 14, 2013 at 9:34 am

Seriously?! I hate that these kinds of blogs are even allowed. If blogs devoted to drugs aren’t allowed, then why are blogs devoted to Thinspiration allowed? It can be just as addictive and destructive to a person as drugs!

My rant: I hate excessive PDA. It seriously makes me so ragey. :P
Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Highlights from the week

18 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hahahaha I also hate excessive PDA, blarghhh something indeed to rant about!

19 Lauren October 14, 2013 at 11:15 am

I think these sites are disgusting and I wish those with eating disorders would learn to stay away from them. When I first was recovering, I wasn’t smart enough to be aware of my internal thoughts. When I was looking through fitness blogs and body builder pictures, I wanted that body which was just… Not for me. I wasn’t aware enough to know better and it was until I learned to be honest with myself I could look at these images without obsessing over them. I just wish there was a way to reach out to others, but it’s sad… People can only learn to turn it off by being honest with themselves. Until then, these sites will still be popular.
Lauren recently posted..“your bone is dying”

20 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:27 am

Fitinspiration is another concerning topic and it’s just as bad if you ask me! I can also look at such pictures and not be fazed by them (well besides getting irritated at the message behind them) and this shows progress for both of us

21 Brittany October 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm

AHH I don’t use Bloglovin, so I have no idea how the site works..but totally weird that they do like top posts. Anyway, this is insane that this is a top post, although I am not surprised!! When things like this take over my mind I have to just step away from the interweb, because I know this shit will never go away..boooo.
Brittany recently posted..Poulsbo Half Marathon

22 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:26 am

Booo indeed! Stepping away, or in my case yelling about it for all to read, did help to to make me feel better :)

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Sad face. I definitely don’t think thinspiration is as prevalent as it once was, buuuuuuut that’s mostly because it’s been replaced by fitspiration, which… really… is basically the same thing. It sucks that it’s showing up in popular searches, but that’s because… it’s what people are looking for :? And that fact alone makes me sad. Maybe I don’t notice it as much anymore because I’ve lost interest in it, but I remember being COMPLETELY obsessed with that kind of stuff when I was in the worst of my ED… I’d spend all my time looking up ways to exercise as much as possible while eating as little as possible… and it breaks my heart to think about the people still struggling with stuff like that :(
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... healthy pumpkin pie oatmeal bars .

24 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:25 am

I have a similar :-/ face when thinking about the fact that yes, it’s what people are searching for. Trust me Amanda, I searched the same stuff and it gave me this twisted motivation, yet “helped” me to both punish and dislike myself even more

25 P October 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm

This IS something worth a rant post over! Just comes to show we still have a long ways to go regarding self-esteem and body image awareness…
P recently posted..Race Recap – SoFit City 10K

26 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:24 am

I thought thinspiration was becoming a thing of the past but then see something like this…

27 Maria@TheBrooklynFig October 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

It is absolutely ridiculous that sites like that exist, and furthermore how “normal” they are made to appear. Sickening.
Maria@TheBrooklynFig recently posted..House Projects Weekend

28 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:23 am

Yes it really is, and how easily accessed and seen bothers me the most!

29 Tara@PNWRunner October 15, 2013 at 1:20 am

I’ve been known to have some good rants. I.e., mostly about the job. I completely agree about how negative thinspiration websites are. I don’t get it, but then again I do. They feed negative thoughts which is never a good thing. Oh another note, I enjoy using Bloglovin’. It is quite simple to use and search sites!
Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Let’s Race

30 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:23 am

Rant away about the job, it helps to get it out :)

31 Allie October 15, 2013 at 9:07 am

I used Feedly to read blogs, so I’m not sure how Bloglovin works buuut that’s pretty crazy. I think all of the thinspiration stuff out there is just disgusting and big media outlets like Bloglovin shouldn’t promote it. It’s sad, you know?
Allie recently posted..Recent Eats

32 tessa8m October 15, 2013 at 9:22 am

It really is sad. And yes, what bothered me the most was how it was being showcased on such a popular place

33 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body October 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

It is always good to get out a good rant when something upsets me, so I am glad that you shared your feelings. I can understand why you would be upset about this, one time I was on Pinterest and came across a thinspiration board and my jaw almost dropped.
Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted..A Short WIAW – with a buckwheat bowl

34 GiGi Eats Celebrities October 15, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Thinspiration is sad. Really sad :( Clearly those who obsess over these websites, images, etc are NOT happy with themselves and they don’t see that the world outside of what we all look like is AMAZING!! We need to focus on what’s REALLY important in life!
GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Domino’s Ain’t Got Nothing On This Pizza!

35 Hannah November 7, 2013 at 9:56 am

Not to double-comment, but I actually wrote to stumble upon the other week about the fact that I stumbled upon a thinspiration website. They agreed to take it down and block it, but I’m sure that it isn’t the only one out there.
Hannah recently posted..Lake Day- A Walk In The Country