Thursday Thoughts + Updates

by tessa8m on October 24, 2013

in Book Review,Thursday Thoughts

Thirsty Thursday! Or whatever. How’s that for an intro.

Ahh yes so a week and some change has lapped since my latest post (aka rant) and while I would actually like to be blogging more often, there simply has not been time! In the past 3 weeks, I have worked 19 of the 21 days, and while I know there are plenty of other people out there who work way more than I do (or ever have), this is a lot for me. Because of this, blogging takes the backseat of activities during my free time, just not feeling it enough to make it a priority.

However, you will hear no complaints from me, as I still continue to love the job! Though I can’t say all 19 days have been at the hospital, there has been some babysitting thrown in there too.

What is most appealing about the job in the NICU is the fact that each day is different. While I complete similar secretary/nurse’s aid tasks on a daily basis, who is in the nursery or who might come in, organizing, cleaning, paperwork and all of that, constantly changes. It’s a position that keeps me on my toes, demands that I stay active and alert the whole shift… including of course the nurses who do the actual care.

kitten1-300x240

Speaking of nursing, allow me to write a quick update on the school business. By this point you all know I failed the second semester (out of four), as ya knowwww I’ve mentioned it here just a few times or so ;). Since I am still at a loss of what to do come next January, either repeat the semester or don’t, I have decided to reapply anyway, hopefully get in (though not guaranteed) and make the final decision come January. By that time I absolutely have to, which will give me the necessary kick in the butt to make the darn choice already.

Now to just get my head around completing the application again…. poo on college application essays! (Such harsh words I know).

I do have work later today, and while normally I would do some sort of workout/walk beforehand, today is a rest day (for more reasons than one, which I shall explain), so I have some extra time this morning. On that note, time for Thursday Thoughts, a theme I have not partaken in in quite a while!

1) It’s nothing new that I am crazy for books, both reading and listening to them. I recently finished The Husband’s Secret and oh-my-word, I highly recommend this story for its plot twists, humor, drama and just general excellent story. Next on the list is Allegiant (the third of the Divergent trilogy), which just came out this week! It’s already to go on my Kindle and I plan to dive in after work tonight. Katie mentioned this on her blog today as well, so we both need to get a read-on for discussion, what say you Katie!? :)

51KtoXm-FyL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_

2) This is one silly, accurate, applicable meme, especially for this time of the year, and one that makes me giggle! I have a confession to make though, I really DO NOT like pumpkin spice lattes or any other pumpkin related coffee product. EEEGADD, there I said it! I certainly like other pumpkin-themed foods, muffins, oatmeal, bars with a crumble top (mmmm), but drinks? Not so much.

602868_10100807524256821_517397709_nTeeehehehe.

3) My first iPod nano, given as a Christmas gift three years ago, finally kicked the bucket last week. That sucker certainly was worth the money spent, as it survived an additional 1.5 years after going through a few cycles of the washing machine, when it occurred to me it was in a jacket pocket. RIP Black beloved Ipod Nano.

I used that bad boy on a daily basis and felt very lost (alright a bit dramatic but still) the few days without it, and my loving mother helped me through the tough times. A brand new GREEN (lovin’ this color) Nano for an early birthday present!

download4

4) Speaking of my birthday, it’s on November 8th, don’t forget to mark it in your personal calendars ;) I kid. I’m actually not too psyched about it, or more just feeling “meh,” such feelings which will be explained in the future.

5) I honestly cannot remember where I stumbled upon this picture, but I knew it was something I both needed and those who blog, write, or simply enjoy expanding their vocabulary, would very much appreciate it.

1Iw7Cha

Some of my favorite words are on here, inquisitive, skeptical, infuriated, perplexed…. ahhh such good ones. I found these especially helpful because I so often talk about my feelings on the ole blog, and find my repetition of certain words to be rather disapproving ;)

6) In between work, concessional workouts, reading, and generally being lazy, I’ve been on a handful of, dare I say it, BLIND dates! Nothing has come out of the 4 I’ve errr survived, but at least I have stories to tell, and lessons that have been learned. I still don’t necessarily know what I’m looking for at this point, neither do the guys I have gone on dates with apparently, but for now, I’m going to continue getting myself out there.

Also, story time for at least one of these dates shall be published soon :) Worth it.

7) It’s time I invested in a helmet, something I should have owned way before this point. It’s what occurred last Thursday that gave me the reality check I needed, and also showed how lucky I was. To sum it up, I took a wee tumble off my bike last week (trying to get up on a curve, hit it wrong), and while I didn’t hit my head, the right side of my body from the shoulder down took the fall (some pun intended).

IMG_9752

download2

IMG_9746

My elbow/forearm is not usually that size! While all of these injuries were/are painful, the absolute worst part about the fall was that I was on a main road and SO MANY PEOPLE saw it happen. OMG embarrassing. Despite falling hard, I popped up so flippen fast, pretending everything was just fine and dandy, while bleeding from various parts of my body. People who saw drove by and yelled out their window, “are you OKAY?” “Do you need some help?” My response: Nope, everything is great, thanks anyway!!

Yeeshe. I got an X-Ray later that day, and although a break could not be seen because of the excess swelling, I’m going to get an MRI tomorrow to make sure it’s not broken and no tissue damage has occurred. Thank goodness my poop-tastic health insurance is covering it! I am feeling much better at this point, but my elbow and forearm does still hurt. Let’s hope for the best.

So yes in conclusion, I’m buying a helmet because gosh darn, I was lucky for not hitting my noggin.

8) I don’t talk too often about my current workouts, exercise habits too much on the blog anymore, but I do plan to. The summarized version is that I am still not running, but am doing more elliptical, biking and strength/lifting style workouts. In fact, I am currently in the middle of my third time around of Tina’s Best Body Bootcamp and have been enjoying it as much as the first two times around. Unfortunately with this elbow situation though, strength workouts are out of the question.

button

I accidentally put some weight on my right arm when I was getting up from stretching yesterday and OUCH. So yes, only walking seems like a great/only option to stay active at this time.

8) Final thought for the day: This is nothing new, but I love Caleb so darn much. He is getting so fluffy again with winter a-comin! Goooooo.

IMG_9754

Oh how pissed he looks, but the love is there I swear ;)

download

*************

-Have you ever taken a serious fall before on a bike, rollerblades, while running, etc? Not that I would consider my fall to be too serious, but it certainly moved a helmet up on the “to-buy” list!

-Have you ever broken a bone? I’ve had my share of broken bones, only in my arms though! Left wrist four times, thumb once (required surgery), and now a potential elbow break. Excellent.

-What’s your current favorite way of staying active? Walking is first on my list as of now :)

-Tell me something your looking for to, whether it be in the near-future or not! Perhaps a dumbo question, but I’m feeling a bit glum today and I know it helps to remind myself of good things going on in my life. For example, I’m psyched for a Halloween party I’m attending on Saturday and have a rather awesome costume. Shall be revealed lataaa.

Have a stupendous Thursday and talk to you all again soon!

1 Karla @ Finding My Fit October 24, 2013 at 10:58 am

Ahhh! So glad you didn’t hit your head. 2 months ago today I took a fall, although I was pushed so it wasn’t all my fault. I fell/pushed off dock and literally sliced my knee entirely open. You can see pictures on the blog/instragram (brace yourself!). You could see my ACL so I am so lucky I didn’t shatter kneecap or slice my ACL as well. Hope you heal quickly!

2 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:10 am

Holy moly, just reading that makes me cringe! On that note though, I am going to go check out the pictures…. I don’t and want to see them at the same time haha

3 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

Just looked at it, EEEEEEEEKKKKKK! So glad you’re doing better!

4 Liz October 24, 2013 at 11:55 am

I just finished Allegient. Read it. Stat! Haha. :)

5 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

Bought and waiting for me on zeee Kindle :D

6 colleen October 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I almost died in a bike accident (seriously) about a decade ago. I have not gotten back on a bike since!!!!! I”m a huge athlete and would do great in a triathlon, but I just can’t do it b/c of the biking portion!!! Def purchase a helmet!! I am loving the fall weather in the south, thus I am getting in a lot of outdoor runs!
colleen recently posted..Pumpkin Eats WIAW

7 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

Oh my word, I cannot say I blame you, how terrifying to say the least :/

8 Alex @ therunwithin October 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm

oh gosh please buy a helmet!! that scares me haha. I love getting updates of your life and I kind of think sometimes we just can’t think ahead that far. Something will come along and it will be worth it.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Started from the Bottom.

9 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

I hope so Alex, I’m going with that though :)

10 Sarah @pickyrunner October 24, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Yay for checking in :) I always get so excited to see your posts in my reader! You really took a digger with that accident! I don’t bike very often but I did have it ingrained in me from a very young age to wear a helment, so I don’t really think anything of it. I feel weird when I don’t, actually. And blind dates! Ahh I hope they are going well! I know it’s a big step to put yourself out there (or at least it is for me) so I am glad you’re just having fun with it. I spit out my water when I saw the meme about the yoga pants and PSL. I hate coffee drinks of any kind so I certainly am not part of that trend, but it is such an accurate depiction of the general population it’s scary.
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..Thursday Rambles

11 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

Awww you’re too kind Sarah, thank you for continuing to read m’dear :) It’s definitely been a big step to get out there and although I’ve been more disappointed then not (grrr), still have to keep on doing it… that is if I want a relationship of some kind some day! I suppose I do, at least for now haha

12 Amy Lauren October 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I love that word wheel. I think I will print it out, actually. I could really expand my vocabulary on the blog and also in my regular writing- I may share with some friends too.

Definitely get a bike helmet. We can’t ride without them. No lie, one of the stipulations of the running team I am on, and there are not many stipulations, is that we can never be seen (by another team member or a store employee in person or on a pic) riding a bike without a helmet. I think it’s a legal thing on the store’s part, but probably not a bad rule to have- especially with accidents and the crazy roads around here!

I love the yoga pants and PSL picture, haha!
Amy Lauren recently posted..Review and Giveaway: VeganSmart All-In-One Nutritional Shake

13 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:04 am

Please do print it out, I’m going to do the same! I saved that picture a few weeks ago, and have found myself looking at it for suggestions from time to time. That’s good your group has a rule in place, so so scary what one small piece of equipment can do for someone’s LIFE

14 Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) October 24, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Glad you are ok! That looks painful! I feel when running a few years back and cut up my knees, elbows, hands and fingers, I was so mortified, I ran home covered in blood and crying! I was so sore for days afterwards, I could barely walk. Wise to get a helmet! I’m running and doing pilates as well as some old best body bootcamp workouts, love them!
Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) recently posted..WIAW- Feeling at Home

15 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:14 am

I should get back into pilates… there was a time I was obsessed and I loved how flexible I was at the time!

16 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm

oh my gosh, the book I’m reading right now before I start Allegiant is the HUSBAND’S SECRET!!!!!! WE ARE BOOK TWINS!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

17 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

OH EM GEE that is awesome! TWINZIES ;) Seriously though, loved that book

18 Hollie October 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm

When I fractured my elbow last month it didn’t show up on the x-ray because the crack was so small. I hope you didn’t fracture yours and it’s nothing but some bruises. (I slipped and fell once ice at another point and broke my arm…since college I seem to like to break things).

I’m glad to know you are doing well and enjoying your job. That is the best part of life.
Hollie recently posted..Eating on High Mileage

19 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

I really don’t think it’s broken, feeling better at times, and much less swelling. I am being careful though, taking it easy for the time being

20 Jess October 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm

My ex boyfriends sister was killed on her bike, she used to race, but was just riding home on quiet streets when it happened. Devastating time! So I am so wary of bikes! I hope your elbow/arm is not broken that would be a pain- literally!

I can’t believe how big Caleb is! He is so cute! :)

I couldn’t stomach pumpkin and coffee! Eek!

I’m looking forward to my girls Birthday! It is the day after Halloween (which I’m also excited about).
Jess recently posted..New South Wales Fires – What you can do to help!

21 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:16 am

Oh wow what an awful situation, even more incentive to be both careful and wear a darn helmet. Yay for the birthday soon! I’m sure she will celebrate wonderfully :)

22 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition October 24, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Oh man! I bike all over NYC now (Citibikes!!) without a helmet. Eek I try to be really careful, slow and only go short distances. I should probably be more careful though.

Miss you xoxo

I totally get you on the blogging taking a back seat– it’s been a while for me too!
Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition recently posted..Beautiful Yoga Watercolor

23 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

Miss you too Jocelyn! Yes blogging definitely has taken a backseat but that’s ok, I go to it when I am in the mood

24 P October 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm

That’s great that you’re reapplying! I feel ya on the college app essays and such…so much work! I do think that your current job will help you the second time around if you choose to go back to the nursing program :D
P recently posted..Race Recap – Nike Women’s Half Marathon SF

25 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:17 am

I think so too, I’m keeping that in mind for motivation!

26 Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen October 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Ahh I’m so glad you’re okay! And I’m doubly glad you went out and bought a helmet. I’ve heard way too many horror stories of biking accidents. They scared me into starting to wear a helmet too!

Walking is my favourite way of staying active lately too! Honestly, it’s usually all I have the energy for after a day at my internship. Even if I just spend all day sitting, by 4 or 5 pm I’m way too pooped to do anything intense! :P
Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Pinterest hits and misses

27 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:18 am

I hear you on being pooped from work… even with sitting a lot, so much mental energy is expended during a long day like that

28 Coach Dion October 25, 2013 at 1:23 am

I never ride without a helmet…

Love seeing that you are enjoying work and good luck with the plans for 2014, the year is rushing to an end!
Coach Dion recently posted..A LITTLE RECOVERY NEEDED!!!

29 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thank you!

30 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 25, 2013 at 6:43 am

Oh girl I know about biking injuries! They are the worst! Getting hit last year totally put things in perspective! I hope your bumps and bruises heal up quick!

Also, I am TOTALLY pinning that word thing! I repeat words WAAAY to often so that will definitely help!

Good to hear from you again! :)

31 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 11:18 am

Oh lordy I’m sure it did, so glad YOU are okay!

32 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 25, 2013 at 7:51 am

Oh geez — I’m glad you’re okay, girl! I’ve never taken a bad tumble on a bike, but I’ve had more than my fair share on a snowboard… Definitely get that helmet. We all think we’re invincible, but all it takes is one second to change everything :shock:

I’m with you on the PSLs — do.not.like. I like my coffee to taste like coffee, and PSLs just taste way too artificial to me. And thanks for the reminder about the last book in the Divergent series! Totally forgot about that one… going to have to pick it up, stat.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #50 .

33 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

Artificial, exactly… and sometimes I don’t mind fake things, added fake sweeteners and such, but no no nooo to PSL!

34 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 25, 2013 at 9:26 am

Oh my goodness, get a helmet lady! I’ve heard way too many horror stories that it’s been ingrained in me not to get near my bike without a helmet on. So glad that your fall wasn’t worse!
I’m excited for a belated birthday dinner with my parents on Saturday. Mexican foooooood! :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 10/25/13.

35 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 10:57 am

Mexicannnn! Excellent choice Sam, enjoy :D

36 Natasha October 25, 2013 at 9:37 am

Oh man I’ve taken some nasty falls on my bike before, but your elbow looks awful!!! Be careful girl! I hope that it is okay!

I also have taken some really bad falls when snowboarding. One time, when I was going rather fast, I completely wiped out and SMACKED my head on packed snow. To this day, I am so thankful I had a helmet, because I could have either got a serious concussion or head injury from that fall. People in the chair lifts heard the impact. I was scary and I was really shook up! Lesson learned…ALWAYS wear a helmet when skiing or snowboarding! Always always always

I like to stay active in many ways – running/jogging, biking, and walking. Nothing too intense right now. Just doing what feel right :)

I’m looking forward to this weekend – going to a concert with my friends. And then next weekend going to the Umich v. Michigan State football game and Michigan State and Dayglow with my sister and her friends. Reading to dance and watch some good old college football. Gotta live up my senior year :)

I also turn 21 in 39 days, but who is counting?!?!

I’ll be sure to mark your birthday on my calendar ;)

xoxo
Natasha
Natasha recently posted..New outlook and changes

37 Natasha October 25, 2013 at 9:39 am

I would also like to note the 30493248 typos in my comment. #sorryimnotsorry #halfawake

:p
Natasha recently posted..New outlook and changes

38 tessa8m October 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

Ahhh yikes about your fall! Like you said, thank goodness for that helmet… even more reason to be safe than sorry and invest in one! Sounds like you have a great weekend planned Natasha, and the one after too :) Such fun stuff. Can’t say I blame you for counting down, that’s an important one to say the least ;)

39 Rachel October 25, 2013 at 11:40 am

Tessa, I just have to say that I really enjoy your blog – I stumbled upon it somehow a few months ago, and it was part of the reason I wanted to start my own. I hope this doesn’t creep you out, but it was strangely comforting to read some of your older posts and be able to relate with a lot of what you were saying. Thanks for being so honest in all that you write – it means a lot to readers.

I’m inordinately psyched for Halloween as well! It’s been my favorite holiday since I was old enough to know what a holiday is. I’m excited to see all the little kids (and dogs) in our neighborhood dress up. And eat all of the leftover candy…

Also, it’s great to hear that you’re enjoying walking – I think that’s something we don’t do nearly enough of. Everyone is in such a rush to get somewhere quickly, that we forget to slow down and take a walk every once in a while. Of course, there’s always Boot Camp to get your aggressions out, too :)
Rachel recently posted..Five (Running Stories) on Friday

40 tessa8m October 28, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hi Rachel,

First allow me to thank you for not only reading my blog, but also writing to me here and explaining a bit about your own experience! I will have to check out your blog as soon as I reply here, looking forward to reading :) What you are saying here so does NOT creep me out, in fact quite the opposite, so again, thank you for saying this

41 Ms. Chocolate October 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Oh my goodness I love those books. I can’t wait to start reading the 3rd one. I just added that to my grocery list for this afternoon. (Books are brain food, right?)

And happy early birthday. :) Mine’s the 4th! Scorpios unite!
Ms. Chocolate recently posted..Chicken Stir Fry & Friday Ramblings

42 tessa8m October 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

Absolutely they are!

43 Khushboo Thadani October 26, 2013 at 12:54 am

Haha at that pumpkin meme- really made me laugh! I’m just the same with my coffee! As delicious as all these flavored coffees sound, they are almost always a huge let-down: overly & artificially sweet coffee. Hand me over a soy latte instead any day! Sorry to hear about your biking injury – please do get a helmet ASAP!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..I like steamed buns & I cannot lie…

44 Nikki October 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Oh my goodness your poor arm!!! That looks so painful! Hope you’re healing well!

I’ve kind of always wanted to go on a blind date….guess I missed that chance :(

I CANNOT wait to have a chance to read Allegiant. LOVE that series!
Nikki recently posted..Atlanta Continued

45 tessa8m October 28, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hahaha I think it’s ok you missed the chance, they’re really not too fun!

46 Allie October 28, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Oh, I sooo hope your elbow isn’t broken! I hit my elbow really hard on rocks while going down a MASSIVE slip n slide at a mud race in September and oh my gosh. I thought it was broken. I cried. I complained for weeks about how bad it hurt. In the end, it wasn’t broken, but wooo weee… I know your pain!!

Caleb = SO cute. I love his fur pattern! So pretty! Errr handsome?!
Allie recently posted..Wreaths and star gazing

47 Vikki Cook November 3, 2013 at 10:16 am

I just came across your blog at random, but it’s brilliantly written and I’m loving the recipes on here!

What caught my eye the most is your cat, Caleb, because he’s absolutely the spitting image of my cat, Bubbles! Had to do a double-take for a minute!!

48 Hannah November 7, 2013 at 9:54 am

Gosh Tessa, it’s been so long since I read! or wrote, for that matter.
I’m glad you’re getting into the swing of things. I wish I could say that my job brought novelty and interest daily, but alas, it does not (check out my travel blog linked above, if you’re curious)
As for iPods, I feel you- mine bit the dust on monday and I’m also thinking of buying a new one for my November birthday on the 24th :) I do feel really lost without it. I actually caught myself singing to myself on my walk home from Chinese class this evening. Oops :)
As for the helmet, get one quick! Once I took a bike ride after thinking for a second about not wearing my helmet. Gosh was I glad I had done though, because I turned a sharp corner up a hill and the handlebars twisted, sending me down the hill on my head as my bike tipped over. I lay there not sure whether I was more shocked from the fall or thankful that I’d worn the helmet. Glad you’re safe, although those are pretty nasty bruises!
I’d love to hear about your blind dates- I’ve never even been on a date- how sad is that?!
Hannah recently posted..It Get’s Real