Thirsty Thursday! Or whatever. How’s that for an intro.
Ahh yes so a week and some change has lapped since my latest post (aka rant) and while I would actually like to be blogging more often, there simply has not been time! In the past 3 weeks, I have worked 19 of the 21 days, and while I know there are plenty of other people out there who work way more than I do (or ever have), this is a lot for me. Because of this, blogging takes the backseat of activities during my free time, just not feeling it enough to make it a priority.
However, you will hear no complaints from me, as I still continue to love the job! Though I can’t say all 19 days have been at the hospital, there has been some babysitting thrown in there too.
What is most appealing about the job in the NICU is the fact that each day is different. While I complete similar secretary/nurse’s aid tasks on a daily basis, who is in the nursery or who might come in, organizing, cleaning, paperwork and all of that, constantly changes. It’s a position that keeps me on my toes, demands that I stay active and alert the whole shift… including of course the nurses who do the actual care.
Speaking of nursing, allow me to write a quick update on the school business. By this point you all know I failed the second semester (out of four), as ya knowwww I’ve mentioned it here just a few times or so ;). Since I am still at a loss of what to do come next January, either repeat the semester or don’t, I have decided to reapply anyway, hopefully get in (though not guaranteed) and make the final decision come January. By that time I absolutely have to, which will give me the necessary kick in the butt to make the darn choice already.
Now to just get my head around completing the application again…. poo on college application essays! (Such harsh words I know).
I do have work later today, and while normally I would do some sort of workout/walk beforehand, today is a rest day (for more reasons than one, which I shall explain), so I have some extra time this morning. On that note, time for Thursday Thoughts, a theme I have not partaken in in quite a while!
1) It’s nothing new that I am crazy for books, both reading and listening to them. I recently finished The Husband’s Secret and oh-my-word, I highly recommend this story for its plot twists, humor, drama and just general excellent story. Next on the list is Allegiant (the third of the Divergent trilogy), which just came out this week! It’s already to go on my Kindle and I plan to dive in after work tonight. Katie mentioned this on her blog today as well, so we both need to get a read-on for discussion, what say you Katie!?
2) This is one silly, accurate, applicable meme, especially for this time of the year, and one that makes me giggle! I have a confession to make though, I really DO NOT like pumpkin spice lattes or any other pumpkin related coffee product. EEEGADD, there I said it! I certainly like other pumpkin-themed foods, muffins, oatmeal, bars with a crumble top (mmmm), but drinks? Not so much.
3) My first iPod nano, given as a Christmas gift three years ago, finally kicked the bucket last week. That sucker certainly was worth the money spent, as it survived an additional 1.5 years after going through a few cycles of the washing machine, when it occurred to me it was in a jacket pocket. RIP Black beloved Ipod Nano.
I used that bad boy on a daily basis and felt very lost (alright a bit dramatic but still) the few days without it, and my loving mother helped me through the tough times. A brand new GREEN (lovin’ this color) Nano for an early birthday present!
4) Speaking of my birthday, it’s on November 8th, don’t forget to mark it in your personal calendars I kid. I’m actually not too psyched about it, or more just feeling “meh,” such feelings which will be explained in the future.
5) I honestly cannot remember where I stumbled upon this picture, but I knew it was something I both needed and those who blog, write, or simply enjoy expanding their vocabulary, would very much appreciate it.
Some of my favorite words are on here, inquisitive, skeptical, infuriated, perplexed…. ahhh such good ones. I found these especially helpful because I so often talk about my feelings on the ole blog, and find my repetition of certain words to be rather disapproving
6) In between work, concessional workouts, reading, and generally being lazy, I’ve been on a handful of, dare I say it, BLIND dates! Nothing has come out of the 4 I’ve errr survived, but at least I have stories to tell, and lessons that have been learned. I still don’t necessarily know what I’m looking for at this point, neither do the guys I have gone on dates with apparently, but for now, I’m going to continue getting myself out there.
Also, story time for at least one of these dates shall be published soon Worth it.
7) It’s time I invested in a helmet, something I should have owned way before this point. It’s what occurred last Thursday that gave me the reality check I needed, and also showed how lucky I was. To sum it up, I took a wee tumble off my bike last week (trying to get up on a curve, hit it wrong), and while I didn’t hit my head, the right side of my body from the shoulder down took the fall (some pun intended).
My elbow/forearm is not usually that size! While all of these injuries were/are painful, the absolute worst part about the fall was that I was on a main road and SO MANY PEOPLE saw it happen. OMG embarrassing. Despite falling hard, I popped up so flippen fast, pretending everything was just fine and dandy, while bleeding from various parts of my body. People who saw drove by and yelled out their window, “are you OKAY?” “Do you need some help?” My response: Nope, everything is great, thanks anyway!!
Yeeshe. I got an X-Ray later that day, and although a break could not be seen because of the excess swelling, I’m going to get an MRI tomorrow to make sure it’s not broken and no tissue damage has occurred. Thank goodness my poop-tastic health insurance is covering it! I am feeling much better at this point, but my elbow and forearm does still hurt. Let’s hope for the best.
So yes in conclusion, I’m buying a helmet because gosh darn, I was lucky for not hitting my noggin.
8) I don’t talk too often about my current workouts, exercise habits too much on the blog anymore, but I do plan to. The summarized version is that I am still not running, but am doing more elliptical, biking and strength/lifting style workouts. In fact, I am currently in the middle of my third time around of Tina’s Best Body Bootcamp and have been enjoying it as much as the first two times around. Unfortunately with this elbow situation though, strength workouts are out of the question.
I accidentally put some weight on my right arm when I was getting up from stretching yesterday and OUCH. So yes, only walking seems like a great/only option to stay active at this time.
8) Final thought for the day: This is nothing new, but I love Caleb so darn much. He is getting so fluffy again with winter a-comin! Goooooo.
Oh how pissed he looks, but the love is there I swear
-Have you ever taken a serious fall before on a bike, rollerblades, while running, etc? Not that I would consider my fall to be too serious, but it certainly moved a helmet up on the “to-buy” list!
-Have you ever broken a bone? I’ve had my share of broken bones, only in my arms though! Left wrist four times, thumb once (required surgery), and now a potential elbow break. Excellent.
-What’s your current favorite way of staying active? Walking is first on my list as of now
-Tell me something your looking for to, whether it be in the near-future or not! Perhaps a dumbo question, but I’m feeling a bit glum today and I know it helps to remind myself of good things going on in my life. For example, I’m psyched for a Halloween party I’m attending on Saturday and have a rather awesome costume. Shall be revealed lataaa.
Have a stupendous Thursday and talk to you all again soon!