Factual Friday

by tessa8m on November 15, 2013

in Factual Friday,Favorite Products,Recovery,Running

Mornin’ to yee!

I know this was well over a week ago, but thank you for the support and well-wishes on my last post regarding getting back to running! I have enjoyed a few similar runs since then and have felt elated during and after each one. The only issue is, now that I am (pretty) sure getting back to my former state of running is a possibility, I want to get out there as much as I can to keep experiencing that high. However, I am not dumb enough to do that, have learned the hard way how this is simply not OK for my body, and am making myself take it slow. Just because I’m feeling better does not mean I can now push myself, quite the opposite if you ask me.

photo

Had a glorious one last week… still happy from it!

Now is the time to be continuously careful, LISTEN carefully to my body, and again, take things slowly… but surely. As a matter of fact just a few days ago I went out for a run hoping to experience the energy and joy from that other day, yet my legs were simply not having it. After a mile or so, I stopped and went for a walk instead and while such actions do f*ck with my mind a bit, I understand it’s both the right and necessary thing to do.

At this point I plan to run (or attempt to) 1-2 days per week and see how my legs and body feel from there. 2-3 days of the week will still be either strength training, walking or elliptical and at least 2 days are/will be complete rest. Such a “schedule” is certainly not set in stone and really what it comes down to is gauging how both my mind and body are feeling that day. I’ll keep writing updates on this whole business as time passes.

Enough of the blabby-blab for now! It’s high time for me to throw some facts at you on this delightful Friday, though really it’s just a post where I can update and spotlight things to tell you in a easy-to-write list format. Although I do love to write lengthy novels on specific topics, sometimes it’s nice to ramble on with the organization of lists. Okay yeah you get it (durr on my part), allow me to get to it!

***************

Fact- As a result of my sporadic blogging, there have been events in the past few weeks that I neglected to tell you about… ones I wish I had taken the time to do when the respective events occurred! On that note, I hope you don’t mind hearing about Halloween one more time, especially now that Thanksgiving is knocking at our door. But I do have to share my costume for that night, as it’s basically my favorite costume ever worn and I certainly plan to showcase that bad boy again!

Can you guess what I am?!

Screen shot 2013-11-15 at 11.02.00 AM

A LOOFAH! Homemade costume… check. All it took was 20 or so yards of tulle, two stretchy bands, a lot of thread, a rope and most importantly, MOM’s help (as I would have never been able to do this myself/blown up with frustration in the process) and VOILA, favorite costume.

And what about the brother, what’s his costume? (This game is fun)

photo 3

A (very ;) ) sexy Lumberjack! Tehehee silly broski, how I love him!

The other event I neglected to tell you about was MY BIRTHDAY, which was exactly a week ago on November 8th. Ahh yes, I am officially the big 24 and although I understand in the grand scheme of things how that in fact is not old, I errr feel like it is. I have many more thoughts on from my birthday and aging in general, so stay tuned for that in the future! I didn’t do too much on my birthday which was fine by me (again, more explanation on this later), but I did receive a gorgeous cake from my co-workers when I came in the next day for work.

photo

This huge disk of chocolate was on top of the cake and half of it was consumed by the end of the night. Would you like to see a picture of the actual cake? Me too :( Alas though, my iPhone sh*t the bed last week and lost a number of recent pictures, from early 2013 and on. I’m trying not to be too upset about it… though I’m planning to go to the Apple Store next week to possibly recover missing pictures.

Fact- Alright so that was quite the lengthy first fact! Anyway, speaking of that silly sexy lumberjack above, my brother and his wife are going to be having a BABY! In March :) First grandchild of the family and they found out last week they’re having a girl… weeeee! Just call me Auntie Tessa

1346954095140_8872621

Fact- I have not bought new running sneakers in quite some time, for obvious reasons, so yesterday I decided it was time to treat myself! Plus now that I am getting back to the sport, I really do need new shoes, ones that are not worn down and barely have tread left. I was only planning on buying one pair, but a certain color of Nike Frees spoke to me from the shelf and threw those in too. Rarely do I buy anything for myself, as I’m a cheap bastard, but felt these were both a great purchase, especially because I’m on feet constantly at my hospital job.

photo 2

Asics will forever be my choice of running shoes!

photo 1

Fact- Buzzfeed articles can be all at once, entertaining, dumb as rocks, sad, cute, irritating, and hilarious. I would say that each of these can be found in this particular article, Ranking Every Episode of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” I used to be OBSESSED with this show… watched each season a number of times and just ahh it holds a special place in my heart. While I disagree with the author of the Buzzfeed article on a few fronts, I did find myself nodding and smiling with nostalgia. Anddddd I think next time I have several hours/days to waste, they will be filled with Buffy watching overload. Excited.

My personal favorite episodes? Hush, Once More With Feeling, Becoming (part 1 & 2), Something Blue, Tabula Rasa, The Body, Fool For Love…. okay way too many favorites, I could go on, but will refrain for now ;)

tumblr_mut1pkWoTl1qcn2i4o1_500

Fact- Recently I was asked via email if my food intake has changed at all as a result of taking major steps back from eating. To answer simply, NO it has not and in fact, I’m eating more than ever… and not feeling terrible/awful/fatty-fat-fat/loser <— That’s the good stuff right there. Obviously I want to elaborate on this at a future date, but now is not the time. I’m sure it will be a lengthy one and actually I have to get my rear and gear and get ready for work!

Evening shift tonight and then off for the weekend :)

-If you are 100% sick of answering this question (especially now that the holiday is over), feel free to gloss on over… what was your favorite Halloween costume ever? Besides the loofah, I was a bag of jelly beans one year, also an epic costume.

-Are you an aunt/uncle (<– not sure if a single dude reads here). How much of a role do you play in their life? I seriously cannot wait to meet this new baby, although they’re not too fun until about 6 or so months of age if you ask me ;)

-Are/were you a Buffy fan? Best episode ever?! Hush… boy did that one scare the bajeezus out of me, but a fantastic one nonetheless.

-What are your plans for the weekend? Any races to speak of? I shall live vicariously through you.

I hope the rest of your Friday is a delightful one and I will pop back in here again soon!

1 Alex @ therunwithin November 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Still love seeing these posts pop up from you. Your costume is hilarious, I saw you post that and just died. So great. From an outside perspective, you seem a lot more at peace and totally less anxious about all your decisions – that makes me super duper happy for you.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..The Unknown

2 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thanks a lot Alex, just need this running business to keep going well :)

3 Amy Lauren November 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I love your costume and your birthday cake- it’s totally okay to go back in time and show us those since you’re not blogging as much and it’s not like Halloween was THAT long ago either! Congratulations to your brother and his wife on their new arrival and to you for being an aunt. I don’t have any siblings so I’m not an aunt… oh well. Some of my friends are having babies though so at least I get to be in their kiddos’ lives.

Your new shoes are pretty cool! I don’t blame ya to get two pair because of being on your feet so much at work.
Amy Lauren recently posted..Old Village Harbor 5K (23:18)

4 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 10:03 am

Aww that’s nice some of your friends are starting to have babies! Visiting other people’s kids works nicely for me right now. Visit and play for a while, then i get to leave without them and back to my own life haha. Aka I am so NOT ready/wanting to have a child anytime soon

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Oh my god, I adore your Halloween costume. I think it just went on the list of possibilities for next year ;-) It’s hard to say what my favourite Halloween costume was, I’ve had a couple that I really liked! I’ve done all the classic ones at some point in my childhood though: witch, princess, ballerina…I also remember an old lady, a gypsy, and a zombie.
And CONGRATS on being a soon-to-be-auntie! I liked Buffy, but I was never obsessed with it…I have thought about going back and watching it at some point though!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 11/15/13.

6 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:53 am

It really was a great one, and so easy too… I definitely suggest you seriously consider it for next year! So after I posted the Buzzfeed article here, I did indeed go back and start re-watching some episodes. You ought to do the same, it’s been a fun ride down memory lane :)

7 Sarah @PickyRunner November 15, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I love it whenever you pop in! Your costume is AWESOME. Like seriously, I wish I had thought of that. I don’t think I could have made it on my own either. I’m not exactly crafty. The running is so great. Seriously, so, so, so great. I know how you feel and I love that. It’s really hard not to jump back in and when I started again this summer, I only let myself go 3 days a week, then 4, and it probably took 3 months before I was back to 5. I don’t know if/when I’ll ever go back to 6-7 days a week but i know for me, that’s when I cross the border into the obsessive territories. I love seeing these fun facts posts from you as much as the more serious ones. Only a month until I’m home and we can start planning on getting together!
p.s. Congrats to your brother! That’s super exciting!!
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..I don’t have a creative bone in my body

8 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:50 am

I love it whenever you come here and read my rambles… and then of course write the best comments :) Just great to hear from you ms Sarah! I never even did 5 days per week when I was on cross country, the coach would allow me to cross train so I would do 4 days of running. I guess my body doesn’t like going above 4 days.. though I would like to be able to do that much again! It will just take time, and active recovery of course
HECK YES to planning on getting together! I seriously cannot wait and I will move my schedule around in anyway to meet ya deary!

9 colleen November 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I’m so happy you are continuing to experience some happy runs!! I was a Barbie in a box one year for Halloween. It was awesome! Congrats on the baby news! I have two nieces (sister-in-law), but I never, ever see them as they live across the country. I truly hope you get so spend a lot of time with this baby!
colleen recently posted..A change in routine & scenery

10 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

Ahhh that Barbie costume sounds glorious! I’m storing that idea in the back of my mind for another year…

11 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 15, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Omigosh that’s seriously the cutest costume ever — and I love that you made it at home. I stopped dressing up when I stopped going trick-or-treating, but I definitely miss the creative aspect of it.

Congratulations to your brother and his wife! And to you for becoming an aunt :D I don’t have any brothers or sisters, but I DO have cousins that have kids… I’m just not sure what that makes them to me.

Hope your weekend is off to a great start, lady!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... double chocolate mug cake .

12 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

Hmm does that make like second cousins or that once-removed business? I have no idea how that works actually haha, but either way you’re something special to them!

13 Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen November 16, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Congrats to your brother and his wife!!! That’s so exciting! :D

LOVE your costume! I can never come up with anything as creative as that. :P My favourite costume was from when I was 11… my mom sewed me this amazing medieval queen gown that took her weeks to make! I still have it somewhere in my basement haha.

I used to love Buffy too. I actually didn’t get into it until 4-5 years ago when my sister and I watched the dvds. I think I only got to the 4th or 5th season though – I need to finish the series!
Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted..Truly Organic Foods Review + Giveaway

14 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

That costume sounds epic! I’m glad you held onto it, definitely a fun memory to keep with you :)

15 Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) November 16, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Happy belated Birthday!! I am an Asics fan too.
Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) recently posted..Review: Tibits at Home

16 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:34 am

Good choice :)

17 Jess November 16, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Oh new babies are so sweet! You will love being an Aunt!!! Both you and your brother are hilarious! I love your costumes!!! That colour actually really suits you. Happy Birthday! You are a baby, please don’t worry about getting old. :)
And yay for more great runs!!
Jess recently posted..The Immeasurable Values of Exercise

18 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:30 am

Aww thanks a love Jess! I know it’s not old necessarily, but more like what I should be doing at this age that is bothering me. Follow up post coming out eventually :)

19 Kendra November 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm

That is quite a creative costume–much better than most of the adult women costumes that I see in stores. Some of them are quite, shall we say, revealing…Happy late birthday; I hope you enjoyed it, even if you didn’t do a ton of things! Congratulations on your future aunt-hood; I am sure you will be an amazing aunt to your brother’s future baby:) My older sister had a baby about a year and a half ago, so I am an aunt as well. Unfortunately, they live several states away, so I don’t get to see them very frequently. Thank goodness for Facebook and Skype; at least then I can see them! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

20 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 10:05 am

Oh yes, those “costumes” that can be bought in stores/online are just errr trashy/dumb/a waste of money. I think it’s fine to be a “sexy” whatever on Halloween, do what ya want. But maybe add some creativity to it?!

21 Hollie November 17, 2013 at 7:34 am

I loved your Halloween costume! So cute. My favorite ever I think was when I was a pumpkin or Nicki Minaj. They were clear winners in my eyes ha ha.

Anyways you should treat yourself to new shoes. You deserve it!
Hollie recently posted..NJ Life

22 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

You would do a good Nicki Minaj, put all efforts in I am sure!

23 Allie November 17, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Aww, I bet you are super excited to be an aunt! My brother got married this summer, and I am already like PLEASE HAVE A BABY NOW! Haha! I can’t wait to have my own, either!!

I love your Halloween costume!! My best costume was a grocery bag. Yep, I was once a bag or groceries for Halloween and I thought I was SO cool. LOL.
Allie recently posted..Trotting with the Turkey

24 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

Hahaha I hear ya, it took them about 6 years to decide to have a baby, and that was long enough!

25 Tara@PNWRunner November 17, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I was Lady Gaga for Halloween. Your costume is soo creative! I never would have thought of it. Luckily, mine wasn’t expensive thanks to amazon! Love it.
I love my asics. I don’t think I’ll ever change shoe brands unless something comes out that I cannot pass up. Congrats on getting back into running. Running is my true love!
Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..6 Reasons to be Thankful for Fitness

26 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

Lady Gaga must have been a good one, plus you have a bunch of different crazy outfits to choose from!

27 Coach Dion November 18, 2013 at 1:01 am

24, I wish I was that young… I remember then going up and thinking that my mom and dad were old, now I’m older and I don’t think I’m old, 40 is the new 25, and 60 is the new 40!

If you look after yourself, in 20 years time you will look back and think: I’m not old now, how could I have been old then!
Coach Dion recently posted..WILL NEW SHOES HELP

28 tessa8m November 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

You’re right, 50 is the new 30 to continue adding to what you’re saying. I don’t feel “old” per say, more that I “should” be doing something different. Ahh but how wrong I understand that is. Follow up post coming eventually :)

29 P November 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

That loofah costume—pure genius! And you look so cute in it too :)!
Congrats on becoming a future auntie :D
P recently posted..Fitness Goals – Remainder of 2013

30 Nikki November 22, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Love the costume :) And so glad you are taking a good approach to start back into running :)
Nikki recently posted..Hello, Again!

31 Brittany November 30, 2013 at 11:25 am

AHH I am so behind on blog reading…I AM SO EXCITED YOU ARE GETTING back into running! Amazing job on your 4.35miler, you’ve still got the speed! I LOVE your loofa costume and you look amazing!!

32 Mallory December 1, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Hi Tessa! Random question – are you still in the Boston area? I’m moving to Beantown very soon and would love to meet up if you are! I feel like we are so similar..

33 Turtle-speed Runner March 25, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Hiya,

Miss reading your blog :) Hope all is still good with you!!

Amy